Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resource for clean re-formatting of HDs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource for clean re-formatting of HDs?

I'm gearing up (read: procrastinating) to wipe my HDs, re-format, and re-install windows. Believe it or not, it's been about 2 or 3 years since I've had to do a clean install of Win XP. So it's been a while since I've gone thru the process. I want to make sure I get everything done correctly, in the right order. Does anyone know of some web page detailing the process? Thanks.
    Beatnik

Re: Resource for clean re-formatting of HDs?

What i do is:

Make BOOTABLE Floppy drive with CD-ROM support.
    BOOT FROM FLOPPY
    FORMAT C:
    SWITCH to CD-ROM drive
    SWITCH TO /I386 Directory
    And type in " WINNT " and it installs WINDOWS XP from the CD.

Make sure you have SMARTDRV loaded or it will take a few days to load .. ;)
    ( Well, not a few days but, you get the Idea
    |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
    [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

actually if you just want to put the XP cd into the drive you can format right directly off that CD. when it starts up you will be asked where you want to install, just delete all partions and creat new ones...the directions are very easy and good so you should be good.

you got any questions about that process let us know and keep us posted on how it goes
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
        actually if you just want to put the XP cd into the drive you can format right directly off that CD. when it starts up you will be asked where you want to install, just delete all partions and creat new ones...the directions are very easy and good so you should be good.

you got any questions about that process let us know and keep us posted on how it goes

I'm a noob....wouldn't he have to back up his HD?

Dirt013
        Dirt013

Comment

if he wanted but he said he was just gonna wipe them
          -Vulcan

Comment

Cool. Yeah I've got an external USB HD, so data backup isn't an issue. It's just a matter of hunkering down the 6-8 hours it'll take to re-format and re-install all my programs (inc. SP2, .NET, Firefox, Steam, MusicMatch, etc.). I totally forgot you can format from the CD. Thanks!
            Beatnik

Comment

If you just have the original XP disc, then download SP2 and some free AV program before you format and put em on CD. Keep the computer off the internet as you install, install SP2 + AV first thing, then hop online and get whatever else you want / need. An unprotected, original XP machine can become infected in a matter of minutes.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

great add perry, i have a CD with all my system programs so i can just install and go. couple others to add could be video and sound drivers if you have them already might as well throw them on it

i can vouche for that infected in minutes, with in 4 minutes of booting a FRESH install of XP i had 5 viruses and 250 mal ware...was fun redoing the entire process
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                  If you just have the original XP disc, then download SP2 and some free AV program before you format and put em on CD. Keep the computer off the internet as you install, install SP2 + AV first thing, then hop online and get whatever else you want / need. An unprotected, original XP machine can become infected in a matter of minutes.
                  Perfect example of the kind of advice I was looking for. :)

I'd heard about that statistic, but didn't even think to burn some stuff to CD first. Great call there.
                  Beatnik

Comment

Take a look at unattended.msfn.org for clean installing Win XP very quickly. Tells you how to roll XP2 into your orginal XP and install in 1 shot + plus installing about of other stuff in 1 shot. Took me 2 hours from format to having everything back the way I like it using the method described on the website and a program called nLite.

Comment

looks like that site isn't there any more... :/

So I've tried simply booting from the windows xp CD. It goes through a whole sequence of "loading files" with all these drivers, then looks like it's going to finish booting, it says 'Setup is Starting Windows' and then my screen goes black and nothing else happens. Any ideas??

Edit: Looks like it's a display issue with my LCD TV. It can't display < 800x600. Lovely.

Can I just boot into safe mode with command prompt and use the format c: command?
                      Last edited by Beatnik; 01-26-2006, 09:46 PM.
                      Beatnik

Comment

jaymind that is such a great site for help about installing XP. A friend of mine is a pro at this and actually has a 20 gig partition on one of his harddrives for all the files that are automatically installed when he reformats. It takes him like 1 hour to reformat and reinstall everything he need and this includes all drivers, anti-virus, games, firefox, etc, etc.

If you haven't reformatted in a while with XP i suggest you follow the slipstreaming guide on msfn.org so you don't have to worry about having no basic firewall and such. Also look into n-lite if you don't think you can follow what is going on the install guide on msfn.
                        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

get it the way you like it and ghost it.

I know that doesn't help much this time, but it will next time.

a guide for nlite (older version, but helpful anyway)

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...customization1
                          Last edited by =DdogG=; 01-26-2006, 11:28 PM.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

You can use your pre-SP2 system to access the Internet. Just don't connect it directly. Put a NAT router in between. It's what I call an "Internet condom". ;) As long as you only connect to Microsoft or other trusted sites, and not any that try to download trojans over your web connection, you're ok. Stay away from the pr0n and warez sites (and Sony music CD's) until you're fully patched up.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

lol Good advice indeed Scratch.

Thanks all for the tips. It was actually pretty painless - except for my LCD issue. I ended up buying an old CRT monitor from craigslist last night for $10 just to be able to see the format/install instructions. lol Other than that, it went very smoothly, and took < 2 hours for all formatting and base installation. About 4.5 hours to download all the Security Updates, SP2, .NET, ATI driver installation, etc... And still updating all the program files and whatnot.

Man the system really needed a clean slate though. I forgot how quick XP can be, it had gotten so slow and bogged down. The only casualty was that I lost my playlists for about 60 gigs of music. :( That should be a good 10-12 hours of data entry this weekend.

Thanks again for the tips and help. Hopefully BF2 will be running hiccup-free tonight. :)
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X