Pci-e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pci-e

okay im a noob to this area, still using AGP 4x. I understand that you can put graphics cards in the PCI-e16x spots but can i put into the 1x slots?. can i stick a regular PCI card into those or do they make special cards that i might want to look into. and now i see there is a 4x too...great

Im asking this becuase im sure there are others who want to know the same thing and also im Looking at upgrading this summer or sooner so it would be helpful for me to know this stuff....

thx for the help
    Last edited by Trooper; 01-26-2006, 11:52 AM.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Pci-e

Here's a drawing of a pci, a 1xpci-e and a 16xpci-e slot.

From the drawing you can see that they aren't interchangable.

Source of the picture is a Matrox article in which they talk about their first 1xpci-e video card.

Comment

I'm no expert but If it were me I 'd first upgrade my MOBO to one that included a PCI E slot. BTW...I'm also using a AGP card at the moment.

There are hunderds of choices for MOBO's with PCI E slots I bet you could find one for $100-$125 or so. (go to newegg- the choices are overwhelming)

If you don't have the budget for both the vid card and the mobo at least you'd be ready for the better card upgrade when you can afford it.

I had just purchased an AGP based EVGA 6800GT a month earlier when I decided to do a new computer build. for my next build next year I'm all over the PCI E mobo's - and probably an SLI capable one at that. Good luck

Edit...I had heard there were also mobo's out there that had both AGP and PCI Express- I did a quick search at Newegg and found a board from ASROCK (value line up from ASUS) Here is the link if you are interested
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081

PS...assembling a computer is pretty easy these days
      Last edited by Grunt 70; 01-26-2006, 04:49 PM.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

o yah i have no problem building and fixing PCs, i do that. i was just wondering whats the difference in the slots, and what kind of cards i can put in them

and thx for that board i was looking for one like this but couldnt find one...thx
        -Vulcan

Comment

Just to quickly answer your question in case you didn't see it in the picture:

1. You can not put a PCI card into a PCI-E slot.
          2. PCI-E x1 is made for lower bandwidth cards such as a sound card. As far as I know there are no PCI-S x1 graphic cards.

Now for my 2 cents. I got a Asus Mobo with a PCI-E x16 slot for around $100. I think it was the AN8-Ultra. It works very well. I don't like SLI personally because I think it is a waste. Unless you are building a very powerful workstation to render high end, 3-D graphics, then there are very few program and virtually no games that will use that much graphic power.
          Chris: Dad, I tried to go to school but this guy won't let me.
          Peter: Oh yeah? Him and what army?
          Chris: The U.S. Army.
          Peter: Oh, that's a good army.

Family Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Phrag
            I don't like SLI personally because I think it is a waste. Unless you are building a very powerful workstation to render high end, 3-D graphics, then there are very few program and virtually no games that will use that much graphic power.
            Point well taken...with my next vid card likely to be one flavor or another of the nvidia 7800 series I doubt I'd have two vid cards but I'd want to have the capability...
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

From my understanding of PCI-E you can stick a PCI-E 1x card into a 1x, 4x, 8x (same size as a 16x IIRC), or a 16x slot. Same for all other sizes (just remember you can't stick of 4x PCI-E card into a 1x slot)
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

okay now what kind of cards can you put into the 4x slot..or none out yet
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                  okay now what kind of cards can you put into the 4x slot..or none out yet
                  I bet there are high end server cards out for PCI-E 4x, but I have never seen them in adds or online. As for PCI-E 1x I have seen RAID cards, TV Tuner cards, and a sound card or two i think.
                  -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Keep in mind that this is the year of Windows Vista and directx 10. No video cards currently support DirectX 10. Anyone doing and upgrade this year is better off waiting until the late summer/fall when ATI and NVidia release their DirectX 10 video cards.

I haven't read the specifics, but I've heard that DX10 is goign to have a lot of nice improvements over 9. Plus you'll be ready for the full Vista experience (which will make use of DX10) when you decide to upgrade your OS.
                    Telorn

Comment

Yeah, I'm postponing this year's upgrade till late this year/early next year to see how the DirectX 10 stuff pans out.

Comment

IF the new best card from NVidia supporting DX10 could be reserved, I'd be on that list.
                        Telorn

Comment

Thanks for warning me, I was thinking about upgrading to a Athlon64 and PCI-E based system sometime soon, but if DX10 is coming out soon then I shall wait.
                          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by KillerTarget
                            Thanks for warning me, I was thinking about upgrading to a Athlon64 and PCI-E based system sometime soon, but if DX10 is coming out soon then I shall wait.
                            New AMD64 socket is also due out sometime soon...
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

well thanks guys, i guess i will be waiting til next fall to upgrade, damn
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...