Good Headsets For Glasses-Wearers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Headsets For Glasses-Wearers

A bit of a specific situation here. I currently have a Logitech USB 350 headset. Performance-wise, they are awesome. I went USB because before I was just using on-board AC97, so I assumed the USB is at least as good from a soound quality perspective.

Problem is, the USB 350, and from what I hear, MOST headsets are not designed with the individual who wears glasses in mind. In my case, even when I wear them adjusted a bit big the ear pieces put sufficent pressure on the top of my ears to result in soreness after an hour or two of use.

Currently, I'm encountering some static/sound cut-out issues. As a little background, I bought these from Best Buy and they are under an extended warranty so I can take them in and either get a replacement set OR apply the price to something else.

So, I'm limited to what Best Buy has available and want it to be a headset (w/ mic) unit but I'm wondering if anyone with glasses has used some of the other models available at Best Buy and can give a recommendation. Is the Logitech Gaming Headset any different?

I'm not opposed to getting a ~$30 sound card if I need to go back to a non-USB headset. I just don't want to lose the directionality the current headset offers and I'm guessing moving to AC97 might result in that. My primary concern is finding a headset that is more comfortable in the long-run.

Sorry for the babbling on...:)

Re: Good Headsets For Glasses-Wearers

Is it necessary that you retain the use of the headset speakers? Or would you prefer to use your computers speakers and just use the headset's microphone? The reason I ask is that I've had pretty good success wearing "around the back of your head" headsets - but worn around my neck with the mic sticking up so I can speak into it. Of course, this way I get no use out of the headset speakers, but that doesn't matter to me.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Actually, I rarely use my speakers at all. Two small children and my gaming occurs at night by necessity so I use the headset pretty much all of the time for that reason alone. Additionally, the PC is located on one end of the living room which makes the headset even more important.

Comment

Hmm...well in that case I'm afraid I can't be of too much help. Have you tried angling the ear-piece part of the glasses above the headset's speakers, like around your temples?
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I'd prefer ear buds but I have yet to see a good mic that works that way. Ideal would be something like the hands-free cell phone ear piece that includes a mic that receives your voice up the internal ear canal, but one that includes ear pieces for both ears so that one can still get stereo.

The next thing on my wishlist is wireless so that I don't keep getting caught on the arm of the chair. But I'd like to see a wireless belt clip with standard jacks so that the wireless feature isn't tied to the choice of headset.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I just bought this same headset last night, and think I may end up encountering the same issue. Aside from that, I don't like the USB connection (gotta switch audio devices in the sound controls to flip from speakers to headset now), and I don't like the mic/cable on the right side of my head. Problem is, when I went to Best Buy, the only full ear headsets they seem to carry now are the logitech 250 and 350, which are both USB. The sound quality is awesome, though.

One thing I will recommend to help with the pain/irritation (almost like you have a rash, eh?): wear them a little loose. As in, pull out the adjustable headband some, as if you ears were lower than they are. It's helped me a little, and seems to take the pressure off my ear. I've yet to wear them for extended use, but it'll help some.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Two headsets in two days, how about that? Went back to best buy today, and they had new Altec Lansing full over the ear, non-USB headsets in. They completely encase the ear instead of sitting on top of it, and feel pretty comfortable so far. Price was around $40. No model number or such, so the best description I can give is Stereo Headset with Microphone, Studio Design. I'll post again once I have a decent gauge on sound quality. These might just be what you're looking for.
              [squadl]

Comment

For anyone interested, the AL headset Tarpan got was the AHS515. I'm going to get a pair tomorrow. The fact they cover the whole ear (like higher end headsets: Senheisser, Icemat, etc.) bodes well for comfort.

It looks like all of the higher end Logitech headsets rest on your ears and the 515 seems to be the only AL headset that cups the entire ear so in the interest of comfort I'm going to switch the AL headset. Can't get much worse then the 350. :)

Wish I had the $ to drop on an Icemat headset but I can't justify almost $100 when the 515 is $40, not to mention the 515 is now carried at Best Buy so I should just be able to do a swap with my 350s.

Comment

I also have the Logitech 350 and have the same issue. After a couple hours of playing my hears hurt. I tried spreading out the headpiece so it exerted less pressure on my ears (and glasses) but it didn't seem to do much in the way of fixing the problem.

Let me know how you like the 515 as I need to replace this 350 with something that's not going to give me constant headaches.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                    Hmm...well in that case I'm afraid I can't be of too much help. Have you tried angling the ear-piece part of the glasses above the headset's speakers, like around your temples?
                    I've done this. It gets annoying and uncomfortable though. I'd rather just have a better designed headset than the Logitech 350.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

This is the headset i bought recently. Great microphone and a sturdy headset (yet very comfortable). You can't go wrong for this price
                      |TG-1stMIP| Ransack

Comment

Yeah, I was going to look at Plantronics but unfortunately Best Buy doesn't carry them. :(

Comment

I have a set of plantronics(looks like the exact model linked) at home that I have used for years. Funny enough, the mic finally crapped out on it, but I really liked them for the price.

However, while wearing glasses, they still cause discomfort after a while, and in fact I was watching this thread hoping to hear of an alternative for my replacement as well...

Comment

That Plantronics is also available here:
                            http://market.tacticalgamer.com/prod...c+headset.html

(hehehe, just a little sneak preview of the TG Marketplace)

Comment

By the way, I've been using the 515's from Altec since Saturday, and they're absolutely comfortable. No discomfort from wearing glasses at all, though I wear wire frames so I'm not sure if people with thicker earpieces will get the same benefit. But for me, the headset is awesome.

They also make me look like I'm a DJ. Bonus!
                              [squadl]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X