After all this time...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After all this time...

I finally managed to get WinXP to run on my home machine. This has been a saga that has been going on for months (arguably years, if you go back to 2 machine builds ago). About 8 months ago I built my new machine, and XP wouldn't finish the install, just bluescreened out or went into a reboot cycle after trying to run for the first time. I thought it might be a conflict with my video card, and I bought a new card last month. So, last night I decided to try once more at running XP. No luck on the video card conflict. I yanked some of my ram, thinking that might be the issue. Nope. I was about to give up when I realized that when my computer was locking up, the pitch of its sound changed ever so slightly. I thought about it for a bit, and then decided to yank the cable from my CD+RW/DVD drive.

Voila! XP now ran on my machine. I could not believe that, heh. Eight months of banging my head against the wall, and it all comes down to XP not liking my Samsung CD+RW/DVD combo drive. Anyway, ran out and grabbed a Plextor DVD+RW drive, and it all runs smoothly now.

Windows XP, the most robust system ever, heh.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: After all this time...

if the drive thats installing it is flaky, you can't expect much. glad you finally got the thing running....I hate when it takes forever to find a simple solution.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well the funny thing is that there was no problem with the drive that I could tell. It read/wrote with no issues, and even installed windows fine. Problem is that it had some sort of conflict that XP didn't like at startup. Yay Microsoft.
      [squadl]

Comment

Plextor, good choice. I am running two of them.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
          Well the funny thing is that there was no problem with the drive that I could tell. It read/wrote with no issues, and even installed windows fine. Problem is that it had some sort of conflict that XP didn't like at startup. Yay Microsoft.
          Did you try updating the firmware?

Also, did you try putting it back in your machine after Windows was installed? Maybe it just needs some strange drivers that Windows didn't have?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Maybe that says something about Samsung and not Microsoft :) I own a Samsung DVD player and have been very dissatisfied. It is one of the top-of-the-line models, so you expect it to work smoothly. But for some reason it would randomly and periodically skip in movies. Since I updated the firmware a couple weeks back it seems to have stopped (hopefully!).
            Telorn

Comment

Well I had been using it in a Win2k machine and it was running fine. The minute I plugged it into a WinXP machine, it caused issues. I blame Microsoft, though I'm not proclaiming Samsung as a godsend or such. Didn't try firmware upgrades because I didn't want the hassle. After rebate, the Samsung drive only cost me like $30 or something, and I figured now was a good time to upgrade to a DVD-RW anyway.

I also blame Microsoft for global warming and Michael Jackson.
              [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                Well I had been using it in a Win2k machine and it was running fine. The minute I plugged it into a WinXP machine, it caused issues. I blame Microsoft, though I'm not proclaiming Samsung as a godsend or such. Didn't try firmware upgrades because I didn't want the hassle. After rebate, the Samsung drive only cost me like $30 or something, and I figured now was a good time to upgrade to a DVD-RW anyway.

I also blame Microsoft for global warming and Michael Jackson.
                Did MS front Michael Jackson in the beginning of his carrier or something? :row__642:

And I'll blame all those one or two child (if any!) families that own 2 suburban sized vehicles with only one person in the damn car for global warming. Come on! They should be outlawed for individuals with less than 3 children :)
                Telorn

Comment

I saw either a comic or a cartoon video the other day of someone explaining the SUV to someone who didn't know what they were. When asked how many people could fit into such a big vehicle, the answer was, "Usually one".

I can't remember where I saw it, even though it was like two days ago. Hell, it's probably a link from another TG thread somewhere.
                  [squadl]

Comment

Soccer mom + cell phone + SUV = death for everyone around them. Us globalteers with the efficient vehicles are the ones in danger! :)
                    Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bubba
                      Plextor, good choice. I am running two of them.
                      I was happy with them until my Plextor DVD/CD burner just up and died. It won't burn, but it can still play CD's.....gotta buy a new one :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X