More ATI 9700 pro woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ATI 9700 pro woes

A few weeks ago i was playing FEAR and it froze, bringing up a "VPU recoverer" error message. I asked on these forums what that meant, and apparently it wasnt too much of a big deal.

Today, i tried running call of duty and it played for about 10 minutes. Every once and a while id hear an odd stutter-like noise coming from the tower. I thought nothing of it for i am an idiot. Then, with the computer still running (it was making noises) the game froze and i was forced to restart. As soon as it starts up i get a beep code error, and on the screen in red it says something along the lines of "Your power supply is not connected to your radeon 9700 pro graphics card". This didnt make much sense to me, because to have a beep code you need a power supply and a motherboard. I turned the whole thing off, waited 10 minutes, and somehow i was able to load up windows.

So what the hell is going on? Is my card dying? Is it completely obsolete now? My parental units would rather this be fixed for good then to shell out $250 for a new card, but if it is dying i suppose i would need a new one.

Re: More ATI 9700 pro woes

Either one of the rails on your power supply has fried or you lost your card. Double check the connections leading to the card to make sure everything is seated properly, then try switching the power line leading into the card. Also, make sure everything is dust free on it.

If, after trying both of these, the card still won't let you boot it's probably fried. It's not unusual for a card that old to fry, especially if you have bad power to it (unclean power to the rails).

Comment

Re: More ATI 9700 pro woes

Ah i figured it out. Apparently the power supply cord that connects into the card was loose and was coming out. This explains the noises i heard before it crashed, because the power was probaly intermittent. Also explains why i was still able to get a beep code despite the power supply apparently not working.

That was fun...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X