Help me decide on my new gaming rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on my new gaming rig

OK, well I convinced the wife to let me drop my tax refund on a new system. hooray.

I want it to play well for BF2 mostly..

Seems like socket 939 is leaving the widest window of upgradability open, so I spec'd out this:

Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
    4x1GB Corsair XMS
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    eVGA GeForce 7800GT
    2x7200.9 Seagate 250GB HD SATAII
    Antec TruePower 550watt power
    Antec Sonata II case

Right now its coming in just over 1700. Any suggestions for modifications? Its been so long since i built a machine I thought someone might be more up on whats good for gaming than me that will fit into that 1500-1700 range.
    |TG|JackMac4

Re: Help me decide on my new gaming rig

What ya need 4GB of ram for?
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Yeah, you really only need 2GB at most, even for BF2, unless you're planning on doing video editing and the like. 4GB is just overkill, and probably will give you less performance than 2GB anyway (Mobo's start having trouble talking to all that ram when you start reaching their capacity) I'd say save yourself a couple hundred and cut down to 2GB. Otherwise it's looks like a sweet rig man.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis
        What ya need 4GB of ram for?
        Figured why not. Keeps me good for a few years.
        |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
          Yeah, you really only need 2GB at most, even for BF2, unless you're planning on doing video editing and the like. 4GB is just overkill, and probably will give you less performance than 2GB anyway (Mobo's start having trouble talking to all that ram when you start reaching their capacity) I'd say save yourself a couple hundred and cut down to 2GB. Otherwise it's looks like a sweet rig man.

Hmm..good point. This is why I posted. Maybe I'll add another HD instead. Thanks for the input guys!
          |TG|JackMac4

Comment

I agree on the memory 2GB is good for now. I also like the idea of another HD (think 10,000 rpm)
            Im a big fan of cooling so throw in:

Artic Cooler (for vid card)
            HD coolers
            Drop that OEM cooler on your CPU...
            hi-volume fans
            round cables

Take a look around http://www.svc.com/ lots of ideas for accesories.
            and never forget Pricewatch.com for pricing info

ill stop ranting, later
            Sarcoma.

Comment

I can see 939 dieing out within the next year or so, after the new socket M2 comes out. And that new socket will use DDR2. Looks like the release date for M2 has just slipped until July or so, but I still wouldn't count on having an upgrade path for a few years.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Instead of another HD you could get the 7800 512MB version.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What Sound Card are you planning on ?
                  |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                  [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

I know this isn't universally popular, but I think that you should go dual-core, even with a pure gaming machine. While it's true that current games are single threaded, the fact is that between instant messaging, TeamSpeak, and Window's included junk, there is always something running in the background to trip up a single core.

A dual-core will also give you a much smoother computing experience overall. Switching between programs, especially from a game to another program, will be faster, smoother, and generally more reliable.

Like I said, not everyone's a fan of putting dual-cores in gaming rigs, but it's what I recommend every time the budget allows.

Edit: I just checked the prices on Newegg. For the same price of the 4000+, you can get the 4200+. You lose 200mhz but gain a second core. :)
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                      Edit: I just checked the prices on Newegg. For the same price of the 4000+, you can get the 4200+. You lose 200mhz but gain a second core. :)
                      Which, because the games are not using the dual cores, means you're running the game on a single core anyway, which has less processor power (single core fx has 200mhz more, as previously stated). So I mean, if you really think your teamspeak is drawing so much CPU power and hitching that it requires it's own core....=P

For a gaming rig, I'd stay away from the X2 cores, as they aren't designed for gaming period, even according to AMD exec's. If you're really wanting to hit the gaming dual core, they are making an FX dual core processor (the FX-60, released mid-jan '06, memory serving) which will be maddingly expensive, but probably reasonably available in a year or three, but has gaming applications in mind.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'm not sure when games will use multi-threading. Falcon 4 already has multi-threading in the rerelease and it helps a lot. Other multi-threaded games include Quake 4 and COD2. I've been looking at the benchmarks of dual core CPU's but haven't seen any direct comparisons between single and dual core processors. So far, you get good performance out of it. The difference isn't going to be a bad hit. Plus, you'll be ready for games that will support multi-threading. I've heard that UT2k7 and Far Cry 2 will be supporting this.

I'm going for a dual core on my next upgrade this summer. I run a lot of stuff in the background like joystick and steering wheel profiling, TeamSpeak, and I'm planning on TrackIR. I just have way too many things running in the background and dual core should help.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmacokc
                          Figured why not. Keeps me good for a few years.
                          you dont need 4gig now, and by the time you need 4gig you will need to upgrade to DDR2

socket 939 has about 6-9month of life left before AMD start using AM2, or M2... Its there DDR2 socket.

Id recommend getting only 2gig ram, and getting a Daul core 4400 or 4800 (1mb cache models)

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                          no... If he wants a 512mb Card, he should get the X1900XTX... Not only is it available in large numbers, its also just 2/3 the price of the 7800GTX 512mb... although maybe thats just a UK thing?

the X1900XTX is also faster overall

Originally posted by Spyder
                          Which, because the games are not using the dual cores, means you're running the game on a single core anyway, which has less processor power (single core fx has 200mhz more, as previously stated). So I mean, if you really think your teamspeak is drawing so much CPU power and hitching that it requires it's own core....=P

For a gaming rig, I'd stay away from the X2 cores, as they aren't designed for gaming period, even according to AMD exec's. If you're really wanting to hit the gaming dual core, they are making an FX dual core processor (the FX-60, released mid-jan '06, memory serving) which will be maddingly expensive, but probably reasonably available in a year or three, but has gaming applications in mind.
                          have you not looked at the latest Quake4 benchmarks? 60-80% faster on a daulcore.

Fear also sees the same sort of improvement....

Nvidias latest drivers use 2 cores which increases most games performance as well
                          From Adam Webb

Comment

I can see 939 dieing out within the next year or so, after the new socket M2 comes out. And that new socket will use DDR2. Looks like the release date for M2 has just slipped until July or so, but I still wouldn't count on having an upgrade path for a few years.
                            Well even if it dies out after a year...I ended up purchasing the 4400 X2..and theres quite a few that are faster that I would be able to upgrade to over the next year or so. So at least I could keep myself somewhat fast for awhile without having to chunk the whole system.

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                            I considered this, but its drastic increase in price made me think otherwise.

What Sound Card are you planning on ?
                            I'm going to use my existing Audigy ZS 2 Platinum. It does the job good enough...I don't think its worth moving to the X-Fi until a PCI-e version is available (if ever).

I know this isn't universally popular, but I think that you should go dual-core, even with a pure gaming machine. While it's true that current games are single threaded, the fact is that between instant messaging, TeamSpeak, and Window's included junk, there is always something running in the background to trip up a single core.

A dual-core will also give you a much smoother computing experience overall. Switching between programs, especially from a game to another program, will be faster, smoother, and generally more reliable.

Like I said, not everyone's a fan of putting dual-cores in gaming rigs, but it's what I recommend every time the budget allows.

Edit: I just checked the prices on Newegg. For the same price of the 4000+, you can get the 4200+. You lose 200mhz but gain a second core.
                            Regarding this, I ended up deciding with you on this issue. I decided for future performance in mind, X2 would be the way to go. I really don't see how the X2 could really hurt my gaming performance all that bad. I'm sure it may not help, but I imagine the X2 4400 that I purchased will do just fine.

you dont need 4gig now, and by the time you need 4gig you will need to upgrade to DDR2

socket 939 has about 6-9month of life left before AMD start using AM2, or M2... Its there DDR2 socket.

Id recommend getting only 2gig ram, and getting a Daul core 4400 or 4800 (1mb cache models)
                            Yes, this is what I ended up doing. I have not read about the M2..but I was wondering when I noticed that the Socket 939 chips were utilizing DDR SDRAM...kinda seems retarded seeing how old that technology is.

Also, as a note - another reason I opted for the 4400 X2 was because it then discounted the 7800GTX by 100..making it virtually the same price as the 7800GT. It seemed like a good deal to me. Also, I've been on the Radeon bandwagon for many a' years now. I wanted to give NVidia a whirl.

So the final specs are as follows:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
                            AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
                            2GB Corsair XMS 2-3-3-6
                            Antec Sonata II case
                            Antec TP2-550 power
                            eVGA 7800GTX
                            2x250GB 7200.9 Seagate
                            2x16x NEC DVDRW

Using from old system:
                            Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
                            Dell 1905FPV

I didn't really explore anything as far as cooling. Though I know stock cooling isnt "Great" - I've had so many problems in the past with cooling athlons. I just dont even want to mess with doing any crazy cooling mods. Any simple cooling mods that anyone would recommend I'd take.

Thanks again all for all your input, comments, and general feedback! I can't wait to get this thing put together. It all starts arriving tomorrow.
                            |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Originally posted by jackmacokc
                              Yes, this is what I ended up doing. I have not read about the M2..but I was wondering when I noticed that the Socket 939 chips were utilizing DDR SDRAM...kinda seems retarded seeing how old that technology is.

Also, as a note - another reason I opted for the 4400 X2 was because it then discounted the 7800GTX by 100..making it virtually the same price as the 7800GT. It seemed like a good deal to me. Also, I've been on the Radeon bandwagon for many a' years now. I wanted to give NVidia a whirl.

So the final specs are as follows:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
                              AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
                              2GB Corsair XMS 2-3-3-6
                              Antec Sonata II case
                              Antec TP2-550 power
                              eVGA 7800GTX
                              2x250GB 7200.9 Seagate
                              2x16x NEC DVDRW

Using from old system:
                              Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
                              Dell 1905FPV

I didn't really explore anything as far as cooling. Though I know stock cooling isnt "Great" - I've had so many problems in the past with cooling athlons. I just dont even want to mess with doing any crazy cooling mods. Any simple cooling mods that anyone would recommend I'd take.

Thanks again all for all your input, comments, and general feedback! I can't wait to get this thing put together. It all starts arriving tomorrow.
                              nice system, you WONT be disapointed :D

DDRI isnt "retarded"... DDRII isnt as great as it seems and i wish AMD had waited and made the move when DDRIII became real......
                              From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X