Linux question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux question?

Alright I managed to install Linux on my computer. Unfortunately the GUI isn't coming up? It just brings me to a command line. Is there anything I can do?

I heard Ubuntu has problems with PCIE. It might just be it doesn't support the X1800 series.

Also are there any more distros I should try? I only have Ubuntu right now.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Linux question?

Maybe you downloaded the server version? Try logging in to your account then running "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop". As for Linux...ATI doesn't support Linux nearly as well as nVidia does.

Comment

I really like Ubuntu. I use it on my spare desktop machine. I use debian on a file server.

Have you tried typing "startx" ?
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ux_8.21.7.html

I don't see the X1800 on the list of support chipsets. Maybe somebody has got it working but it's probably a lot of work.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
          Alright I managed to install Linux on my computer. Unfortunately the GUI isn't coming up? It just brings me to a command line. Is there anything I can do?

I heard Ubuntu has problems with PCIE. It might just be it doesn't support the X1800 series.

Also are there any more distros I should try? I only have Ubuntu right now.
          I did a quick check: the crossfire cards (X1000+) are not supported. The latest ATI chipset that is supported are x850 officially, and even then 3D is problematic.

Ubuntu has an extensive autoconfigure script that looks for a compatible driver, then installs it. If it can't, it bypasses the configuration, and moves on to the next step.

That does not mean that you can't get it to run: all modern cards are bootable in vesa mode.

What you would need to do would be manually edit the Xorg.conf file to use the VESA driver instead, following the directions here:

https://wiki.ubuntulinux.org/FixVide...9%7C%28conf%29

Personally, I am a Slack Fanatic.

Comment

Originally posted by koko775
            Maybe you downloaded the server version?
            Linux comes in server and non-server flavours???
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
              Linux comes in server and non-server flavours???
              Yep.

Comment

Well, not exactly. There are distros and package selection sets that are server-oriented. For instance, they might include all the services a web server would find useful (eg. Apache, MySQL, PHP) while leaving out X and its friends (eg. Gnome and KDE).

The kernel has a lot of compile-time knobs as well, and you can tune your kernel to be more workstation-ish, more server-ish, or more router-ish. For example, a game-oriented workstation or server benefits from a shorter scheduling quantum (for better realtime response) while a DB or web server benefits from less frequent scheduling, to reduce the overhead.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                  Well, not exactly. There are distros and package selection sets that are server-oriented. For instance, they might include all the services a web server would find useful (eg. Apache, MySQL, PHP) while leaving out X and its friends (eg. Gnome and KDE).

The kernel has a lot of compile-time knobs as well, and you can tune your kernel to be more workstation-ish, more server-ish, or more router-ish. For example, a game-oriented workstation or server benefits from a shorter scheduling quantum (for better realtime response) while a DB or web server benefits from less frequent scheduling, to reduce the overhead.
                  Yeah, its more of just a server set of packages rather than a server distro of ubuntu.

Also, regarding the no graphics originally posted - try logging in and typing "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to reconfigure your graphics.

As already mentioned- I agree, nvidia support is much better in Ubuntu. I've had a heck of a time getting things to run smooth on my radeon 9700 pro in breezy.
                  |TG|JackMac4

Comment

well, Linux is actually very narrowly defined. The GUI, software, and a load of other things depend on which distribution. Some are command-line, intended for you to manually install stuff, or for a minimum server install, and others are desktop-oriented, with everything you need for a mouse+keyboard+graphics computer. Ubuntu lets you do either, as do many. Try Fedora Core if Ubuntu doesn't work, I guess.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X