Why the memory limit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the memory limit?

I have a 64bit processor but I still can't go above 4 gig.

Why is this? (I am sure this has something to do with the chipset on the mobo.)

Second question is when will any motherboard take advantage of the 64 bit processors and allow the, what, 16 thousand gig or something? I think windows xp 64 supports 128 gig of ram.

Or do they already I just don't understand?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Why the memory limit?

No they don't support that much. It has to do with how much memory can be addressed. This is both a hardware limitation and software limitation.

Currently the only OS that supports a 64 bit processor is Linux (I don't know about Mac's)
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator
      No they don't support that much. It has to do with how much memory can be addressed. This is both a hardware limitation and software limitation.

Currently the only OS that supports a 64 bit processor is Linux (I don't know about Mac's)
      Huh? The 64-bit version of XP has been out for some time now.

You might as well wait for Windows Vista if you plan on buying a new OS, though, since it comes out this fall. If you have other means of obtaining your OS, then by all means upgrade to the 64-bit version.
      Telorn

Comment

Yea but can the mother board take advantage of it? All the ones I looked at supported only 4 gig regardless of the cpu or OS.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It's a limitation of the hardware, not the OS. And I was just pointing out that Linux is not the only one to support 64-bit :) You can find server motherboards out there that support 16 gigs.
          Telorn

Comment

Hmm I was under the impression that Windows 64Bit wasn't actually released yet. It won't be the 1st time I was wrong about something.

My brother is buying a mobo that will handle 16 gigs o'Ram. He will probably be installing Vista later this year.

A server board is about the only way you can go that will support that much RAM and they can be pretty pricey...
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

standard A64 boards support 4gig ram.... WinXP32 and 64 will support 4gig ram, however might only see 3.5gig depending on bios issues.

servers, and server OS's will be able to support miles more ram (upto 128gig is it?)

the question is, why do you need this much ram?
              From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                standard A64 boards support 4gig ram.... WinXP32 and 64 will support 4gig ram, however might only see 3.5gig depending on bios issues.

servers, and server OS's will be able to support miles more ram (upto 128gig is it?)

the question is, why do you need this much ram?

True, and funny that this should all come up, because I have just gome through a ordeal similar to this with Asus, and AMD. I have a AMD64 bit 3500 chip, a Asus A8N-SLI mobo, and 2 gigs of DDR 400 ram on 4 Dimms. The problem was that the BIOS etc, was showing the Ram as DDR 333....arrrgg. At first I thought it was a problem with the Motherboard. But after hours of reading, and multiple e-mails from Asus, and AMD I learned that the 64 bit chips sometimes have a problem with the memory when its 2 gigs or over, and it is in all 4 Dimm slots. I can only tell you it has something to do with how the chips memory controller works. Honestly I did not understand the rest.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Usarion
                  But after hours of reading, and multiple e-mails from Asus, and AMD I learned that the 64 bit chips sometimes have a problem with the memory when its 2 gigs or over, and it is in all 4 Dimm slots. I can only tell you it has something to do with how the chips memory controller works. Honestly I did not understand the rest.
                  You must have a Winchester chip? I think this was something that was fixed with the Venice chips..

Somehow, I avoided the bug with my Winchester.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

It could also do with the chipset. A lot of chipsets for both AMD's and Intel do that i have noticed that if you fill up all of the available ram slots with double sided ram that it will go down to PC2700. I am not sure why this happens, but it probably has to do with the chipsets and the memory controllers and how many physical ram chips it can handle at certain speeds. With the optetron processors, which have 3 hyper transport channels also may have to do with what speeds the RAM can last. I have not looked into this all that recently so most of this is from memory and some guessing.
                    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

You guys are nutty :row__536:

Server 2003 Standard - 4gig cap
                      Server 2003 Enterprise - No Cap
                      Windows XP 32 Bit - 4gig cap
                      Windows XP 64 Bit - No Cap
                      Windows Vista - Crap

If anyone has actually used Vista you would know it is nothing but a glorified Windows XP Media Center edition with 64 bit support :row__578:

The beta pretty much crushed any hopes for me of Microsoft doing anything right considering how long Vista has been pushed back time and time again.

All the No Cap ones above the OS has no cap. If your board only supports up to 4gig (which are most) then it doesnt matter what the OS thinks.

Personally my PC has 2 gigs of DDR3200 (400) RAM running at dual channel to a P4 3.2HT Northwood. Was actually looking at building a new PC soon as this old one is getting too slow for my needs......... Only I dont want Intel but want DDR2, so gotta wait for the new boards to come out sometime soon hopefully.

BTW the MB's are designed for either 32 bit or 64 bit, no inbetween. Just make sure your board matches the specs for the processor and you will be golden.

Comment

The problem with this is that Windows can't effectively used more than 4GB of RAM, most of the time. If you have the money for extra RAM sticks, I recommend using the i-RAM device and putting your Virtual Memory on there. Since Windows stupidly uses your virtual disk when you have plenty of RAM left anyway, this will probably do much more to benefit your speeds than extra System RAM.

Comment

or wait until the i-RAM device supports SATA2 and then stick your current desktop ram when you get a new mobo that supports DDR2.
                          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

also gotta remember the more RAM you use the more power you are gonna need. From what ive read and heard for Techs Ram takes more wattage then one considers
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

My AMD64 gaming system is set up to triple-boot XP64, Fedora Core 4 x86_64, and FC4 i386 (32-bit). Works great.

Most apps are still 32 bits but a few games are starting to trickle out with 64-bit binaries. UT2004, for example. I think HL2 now has a 64-bit client binary.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X