Need help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help please

I am converting to a new processor, mobo, gfx card and I am having some problems. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

old rig
    intel p4 2.4c northy
    msi neo 2 mbo
    1gig ddr 400 mhz mem
    ATI Radeon Sapphire Atlantis 9600 256mb card agp
    sata barracuda HD 80gig

New rig
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 754 socket
    Epox ep-8npa sli mobo
    1gig ddr3200 ram
    EVGA 7800gt 256mb card pci e

I'm using my existing case, HD, dvd/cd-rom burner, floppy

I have replaced ram, checked for any settings to run single vga card with SLI mobo, reset bios with jumper on mobo does anyone else have any suggestions? I am afraid it might be the processor but not sure and want to be before I have to pay $35.00 to have it benched.

Edi: I know I have to do a repair on the xp o/s but I can't get into the Bios all I get when I power on is a black screen no hd no nothing jsut black screen.
    Thanks
    Drizz
    sigpic

Re: Need help please

Since this is a PCI-E board i assume you don't have another vid card to test with? Without being able to swap out components to find the issue, it's going to be difficult to find out what is causing it.

Have you tried turning it on with nothing but the CPU/Memory/Video connected?
    Telorn

Comment

How big is your PSU? Is it a good name brand or a generic junker? If you have 2 sticks of ram, take one out. Be sure the single goes into the appropriate slot.

Do you have 2 video connections on the back of the video card? Be sure you are on the right connection for a single monitor connection.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
        How big is your PSU? Is it a good name brand or a generic junker? If you have 2 sticks of ram, take one out. Be sure the single goes into the appropriate slot.

Do you have 2 video connections on the back of the video card? Be sure you are on the right connection for a single monitor connection.
        I have swapped memory using both dimm slots, my power supply is 500w x-connect ultra which is brand new, have plugged monitor in both slos with same results.
        sigpic

Comment

Have you tried turning it on with only the CPU/Video/Memory connected? Do not connect any HD, PCI, internal USB cables, etc. Also, have you tried only using 1 RAM stick and leaving the other out? That's if you have 2 :)
          Telorn

Comment

If you buy a socket 754 you will never be able to upgrade your CPU. Definitely use socket 939 instead. This will also let you use dual channel memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
              I have swapped memory using both dimm slots, my power supply is 500w x-connect ultra which is brand new, have plugged monitor in both slos with same results.
              Beeps.....are you getting any beeps at all? Be sure to connect up that crappy PC speaker and listen for beeps. They will clue you in to errors, the error beeps should be listed in your mobo guide.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                If you buy a socket 754 you will never be able to upgrade your CPU. Definitely use socket 939 instead. This will also let you use dual channel memory.
                Yes you are correct but money is an issue and I was given this brand new processor by a friend who upped his to a 939. I found this mobo and it has gotten very good reviews so I decided to give it a try. I was lucky enough to get the wife to let me buy the 7800gt.

Here is one of the reviews.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?htt..._8npa_sli.html
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                  Beeps.....are you getting any beeps at all? Be sure to connect up that crappy PC speaker and listen for beeps. They will clue you in to errors, the error beeps should be listed in your mobo guide.
                  There is a digital display on the mobo that gives codes for errors but the one it is giving isn't listed in the booklet. I will see if I get any beep codes but there are none listed in the mobo manuel
                  sigpic

Comment

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

that lists all the major post codes
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse