Dell XPS Laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell XPS Laptops

I'm planning to travel a lot over the next few months and I'm planning to pick up a gaming laptop to keep me company. I'm looking at picking up a Dell XPS Laptop. Its a bit pricey so I thought I'd see what opinions or experiences (good or bad) any of you might have had with one of these. I'm hoping to play BF2 and C&C generals along with any new games that might come out soon. I have my eye on an XPS M170 w/ Pent M 2.0/ 1gb RAM/60 gig 7200 hdd/Nvidia 6800 ultra/17 inch viewable. The cost is a jaw dropping $2,399 which I'm pretty sure is negotiable especially with dell's promotions. I'm not particularly concerned about protability or weight. I'm more or less looking for something with the ability to play current and future games without having to turn down most of the game settings just to get it to run semi-decent. Any thoughts or feedback would be helpful. Also, is it worth it to get a laptop with a sound card? Will a sound card on a laptop help with frame rates as well?

Re: Dell XPS Laptops

A coworker recently bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 for general use. I would advise spending the extra $5 to get the Windows CD so that you can format the computer and install everything that you want from scratch. Dell preloads so much crap on their machines that it would crash frequently before any additional software had even been installed.

Their hardware seems quite nice, though. I'm impressed with the way the one I messed around with handled. The XPS sounds sweet, but they've got to do something about the ugliness of the dang thing!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

the dell XPS gaming laptop is the exact same as a the dell 9300 laptop except for a different case.

the dell 9300 will be cheaper, and is the exact same motherboard/cpu/gpu. The motherboard also supports the 7800go upgrade. However, the PSU in the dell9300 might be too weak, where as the XPS is build to power it.

(all of above may have changed since december, thats when i was looking at the pair myself).

Gaming wise the Pentium M at 2ghz is about the same speed as a 2ghz (ie a 3200+) A64. So it will play almost everything at medium to high settings.
      From Adam Webb

Comment

The only thing you need to worry about with gaming laptops is their ability to dissipate heat; many gaming laptops have overheating issues because of the small cramped space the parts are in. The more powerful the gaming laptop, the more pronounced the problem because the high-end parts generate craptons of heat.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I've played BF2 on my laptop on lower specs than that. You could probably run BF2 with the XPS on at least medium settings. However, your load times are going to be really long. It's probably 5 or 7 minutes to load a map.

I was using onboard sound and got about 40FPS. I bought an Audigy PCMCIA card and it went up about 5FPS and everything sounds great.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

any laptop would be good for gameing as long as the video memory is dedicated and 128 or more.
            But yah the dell 9300 with some nice upgrades such as the faster memory and the 7800gt card would do you just fine
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

My friend has the desktop XPS with the high end stuff on it. I can't honestly say about the laptop, but make sure that it has enough fans.

Comment

<3 my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I paid $1,380 in November for one with a 6800, 2.26 Ghz P-M processor, the highest quality screen, and 3yr warranty (a must with dell laptops). If you get one of these you should get the cheapest processor and upgrade it later to one you can pin mod(overclock) for a performance increase for free (once you sell your original processor). Also, buy the bluetooth card on ebay and your memory elsewhere. As for sound, I've found the built in one to be more than adequate if you don't need surround. I'm not sure it's worth it to upgrade the 9300 to a 7800gt as it requires a much heavier power supply and it's expensive as hell.
                Rm 14:2 NIV
                One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

All good advice to ponder. Good point about buying parts from other places...the price tag on the XPS is steep. I might consider the 9300 instead. Thanks again for the advice all.

Comment

^^^^Also look at sager. They are the OEM for alienware and such. i believe the website is www.sagernotebook.com
                    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Tempest, that is one nasty avatar. I was almost mesmerized :)
                      Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach
                        All good advice to ponder. Good point about buying parts from other places...the price tag on the XPS is steep. I might consider the 9300 instead. Thanks again for the advice all.
                        Be sure you know what you are getting compared to what you want. The Dell XPS deally is big and heavy, runs for about 45 minutes on it's battery.. or less under load. Essentially you end up with a somewhat moveable, folding desktop that can generate a TON of heat.

Dell is probably be the most portable of the 'folding desktop' group but it does sacrifice performance in my opinion.

Falcon Northwest makes a FANTASTIC folding desktop but the price is over the top.. Boxx repackages the FW hardware in a more basic enclosure for less money.. worth checking out.

In the office, We frequently task the Boxx (GoBoxx) to take over for AutoCAD workstatons when they go down for service - hooked up to 20" monitors and at max resolution - no problems.

No matter WHAT - you will want a good size rolling case for it.. don't even burden yourself with the 'shouldercase' or 'backpack' style.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                          However, your load times are going to be really long. It's probably 5 or 7 minutes to load a map.
                          I was about to disagree off the top with that but then remembered the XPS still uses a Mobility class processor.. not sure how much that would slow things down.. I know the GoBoxx loads the Maps in 45-60 seconds.. but that is a full desktop processor. 5 or 7 minutes, though?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                            I was about to disagree off the top with that but then remembered the XPS still uses a Mobility class processor.. not sure how much that would slow things down.. I know the GoBoxx loads the Maps in 45-60 seconds.. but that is a full desktop processor. 5 or 7 minutes, though?
                            It's more of a hard drive speed issue isn't it? Not too many laptops have hard drives running 7200rpm, at least mine doesn't.
                            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                              It's more of a hard drive speed issue isn't it? Not too many laptops have hard drives running 7200rpm, at least mine doesn't.
                              Good question - I never really put that into play.. although, the times I am used to were based on a 5400rpm drive.. for some reason my GoBoxx shipped with 2 5400rpm drives instead of the 7200's I ordered.. they replaced them a few weeks ago, I haven't played BF2 on the laptop since - I was playing Eve during that last run of travel I had.

I'll check the load times again for the heck of it..
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X