wireless network problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless network problems

new problem came up. yestuday i installed a wireless network for a friend. we used linksys hardware. now his wired PC has multiple accounts so we ran the setup CD on his account. which connected it to the net but now when we goto other accounts it doesnt connect the the net. as if they havent been setup. any ideas? heard about this before?
    thanks for the help.

Re: wireless network problems

Geese, I was just over a friends house and we installed a netgear wireless card. Ok, so you set up a completely new wireless network? I believe that you have to run the setup cd on the admin account, but i wouldn't know why. Did the software get installed on all accounts? Did you save the account profile (if it will let you)?

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
      Geese, I was just over a friends house and we installed a netgear wireless card. Ok, so you set up a completely new wireless network? I believe that you have to run the setup cd on the admin account, but i wouldn't know why. Did the software get installed on all accounts? Did you save the account profile (if it will let you)?
      here is how the network works

--> incoming DSL --> modem -> linksys wirless G router w/speed booster. ->

from there it goes to his desktop right next to the router via a cat5
      and then it broadcasts wirelessly to his basement computer where it picks it up.

yes, it was brand new. he used to have only 1 PC which was directly connected to the modem
      --> incoming DSL --> modem -> computer

we only installed on his account and his account has i-net access. we'll see if installing on his admin account works. that was my first idea. im not really sure what else would do it. save the profile? uhm, i not exactly sure. i know we saved something i dont know if it was the profile.

Comment

Mabey the order of the routers would make a diffrence.

-->incoming DSL --> modem --> computer1 via cat5 --> wireless router --> computer2 via wireless

Wait, wait.... so the DSL goes into the DSL modem and then spits out the internet signal into a cat5 cable. That then goes to the computer1 via cat5 or does it go to the wireless router and out to both computers. Mabey a diagram:

--> incoming DSL --> modem --> wireless router:
        --> computer1 via cat5
        --> computer2 via wireless

Comment

Originally posted by jackel
          new problem came up. yestuday i installed a wireless network for a friend. we used linksys hardware. now his wired PC has multiple accounts so we ran the setup CD on his account. which connected it to the net but now when we goto other accounts it doesnt connect the the net. as if they havent been setup. any ideas? heard about this before?
          thanks for the help.
          Run the setup under the Administrator account and/or an account with Administrator priviledges and you should be all set.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
            Mabey the order of the routers would make a diffrence.

-->incoming DSL --> modem --> computer1 via cat5 --> wireless router --> computer2 via wireless

Wait, wait.... so the DSL goes into the DSL modem and then spits out the internet signal into a cat5 cable. That then goes to the computer1 via cat5 or does it go to the wireless router and out to both computers. Mabey a diagram:

--> incoming DSL --> modem --> wireless router:
            --> computer1 via cat5
            --> computer2 via wireless
            how would that work because the modem has 1 cat5 jack which goes to the computer adn the computer only has 1 slot. so how will it go to the router after the computer exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              Run the setup under the Administrator account and/or an account with Administrator priviledges and you should be all set.
              of the 5 or so accounts all but one have admin (its a poorly setup computer) and we orginally ran it on an account with admin.

Comment

thanks for the help.
                You're saying that the wired PC is the one having troubles with connecting using other accounts?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  You're saying that the wired PC is the one having troubles with connecting using other accounts?
                  correct.
                  the wired PC is his family computer. the wireless is his own and has only 1 account.

the wired comp has accounts for his parents/siblings. we ran the config cd on his account so his account works.

Comment

That config probably screwed stuff up. I don't see why other accounts shouldn't be able to see an ethernet connection. Unless your wireless encryption stuff is applied to the wired network, too?
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      That config probably screwed stuff up. I don't see why other accounts shouldn't be able to see an ethernet connection. Unless your wireless encryption stuff is applied to the wired network, too?
                      i dont undestand why its not working on the other accounts either. the WEP stuff isnt applied to either the wired/wirless at the moment because we're trying to get it all setup before we start doing security. not to mention i always get problems when setting up WEPs

Comment

okay, i think we fixed it. THanks for your help.. this is what we did to fix it if anyone has this problem in the future.

1st, we went onto his account and into network connections to see which connection it was using.
                        we then went into the accounts that didnt have it. into control panel, and then setup network wizard and created a network. and then did the same on his basment (wirelss) computer. after this the upstairs (wired) computer regained its access on all accounts.

Comment

i dont undestand why its not working on the other accounts either. the WEP stuff isnt applied to either the wired/wirless at the moment because we're trying to get it all setup before we start doing security. not to mention i always get problems when setting up WEPs
                          Use WPA/PSK w/ TKIP whenever possible. Try and stay away from WEP.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                            Use WPA/PSK w/ TKIP whenever possible. Try and stay away from WEP.
                            im not very familiar to wpa/psk w/tkip. do you have a link that explains it more or soemthing

Comment

im not very familiar to wpa/psk w/tkip. do you have a link that explains it more or soemthing
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X