Internet Problem of Suck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Problem of Suck!

I am staying at a friend's house at the moment, and he has wireless internet (as in the internet is beamed to the house wirelessly). It gets fast speeds, 100kb/s downloads, and all that good stuff, but it drops the connection every 2-10 minutes! It's so annoying!

Can anyone recommend anything here? I'll take any advice!
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: Internet Problem of Suck!

Who's the ISP? What kind of wireless?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

you would have to find out where the transmitter/access point is. What is the current strength of the signal?
      From Adam Webb

Comment

Yeah. That sounds like a strength issue. Your friend may want to contact the wireless ISP and ask if they support installing signal boosters in homes to increase their signal. Estentialy it would just be a repeater. It could possibly go on the outside of the home, or in an area with high signal strength, and then it will boost the signal and make it strong enough so most places in the home can get an excellent signal strength.

Other thing to try is moving the computer where the signal is stronger.
        Telorn

Comment

Is this WiFi wireless, or one of those broadband microwave wireless connections where you have to point a dish antenna (NOT satellite, but antenna looks similar) in a certain direction?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
            I am staying at a friend's house at the moment, and he has wireless internet (as in the internet is beamed to the house wirelessly). It gets fast speeds, 100kb/s downloads, and all that good stuff, but it drops the connection every 2-10 minutes! It's so annoying!

Can anyone recommend anything here? I'll take any advice!
            100kb/sec is fast? Thats slow! What city is this in? Maybe theres an alternative. Here in Oklahoma city they have Sprint microwave broadband..it does pretty good. As already suggested, you may need to have your antannae better aligned.
            |TG|JackMac4

Comment

hehe UK is 62-128kb/sec

remember, when you are stuck with 56k (which is about 4-6kb/s) 100k is fast!! ;)
              From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                hehe UK is 62-128kb/sec

remember, when you are stuck with 56k (which is about 4-6kb/s) 100k is fast!! ;)
                Sheesh..and I thought my 500kb/sec downloads were slow.
                |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  Is this WiFi wireless, or one of those broadband microwave wireless connections where you have to point a dish antenna (NOT satellite, but antenna looks similar) in a certain direction?
                  This internet is the latter type. According to the company, our signal strength is very strong and we have 0% packet loss. It's very strange. . . It just drops every now and then. The ISP is CompuNet, it's a local Wyoming company I believe.

Could putting a static IP into the computer make everything work better?
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                    hehe UK is 62-128kb/sec

That's 4-6 KB (kilobytes) not 4-6 Kb (kilobits) :)
                    Telorn

Comment

yeah i always mess those up...

56kb vs 512kb

or

5-7KB vs 62KB
                      From Adam Webb

Comment

This internet is the latter type. According to the company, our signal strength is very strong and we have 0% packet loss. It's very strange. . . It just drops every now and then. The ISP is CompuNet, it's a local Wyoming company I believe.

Could putting a static IP into the computer make everything work better?
                        OK, when you say "it drops" are you referring to network connectivity, or do you have a way to measure the radio signal?

It could be any number of things causing that problem. Something getting in the way of the line of sight for the antennas (birds, weather, people?). Could be the wind blowing the antennas out of alignment? When they say the signal strength is "very strong", are you sure it's not on a scale like this:

Perfect
                        Outstanding
                        Excellent
                        Superb
                        Very Strong
                        Strong
                        Weak

Are you talking to tech support or an actual technician? Try to get ahold of an actual tech and ask him/her what might be causing the problem.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Yeah I was on the phone with them and they've got a guy coming out tommorrow. When I asked about the signal strength, I got the impression that is was like 90-100% - but am not sure. But the fact that I get 0% packet loss seems to indicate that everything is in alignment, right?

When it drops, it goes like this: my AIM connection will be cut off, Winamp will lose it's internet radio stream, and any downloads will be interrupted. However, literally the instant that the interruption occurs, I am able to load a webpage, resign onto AIM, restart the internet radio feed, or restart the download. It's very strange.

I feel like this is something on my end. . .but I can't be sure.

Comment

Yeah I was on the phone with them and they've got a guy coming out tommorrow. When I asked about the signal strength, I got the impression that is was like 90-100% - but am not sure. But the fact that I get 0% packet loss seems to indicate that everything is in alignment, right?
                            You get 0% packet loss even when one of these interruptions occurs?

When it drops, it goes like this: my AIM connection will be cut off, Winamp will lose it's internet radio stream, and any downloads will be interrupted. However, literally the instant that the interruption occurs, I am able to load a webpage, resign onto AIM, restart the internet radio feed, or restart the download. It's very strange.

I feel like this is something on my end. . .but I can't be sure.
                            Yeah, if you're able to instantly do what you said, I don't think it would be the radio signal. Heck, if it's that brief of an interruption, then your streaming music should just have to rebuffer a little bit...

Have you checked for malware/viruses?
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Here's a question. Do you have an on-board Marvell Yukon ethernet port? I have seen so many of those ports go bad, I can't believe manufacturers still put those things on board. The "disconnect" scenario you describe is exactly what happened to me on both my home PC and my office PC when the Marvell port was dying. Installed an Intel Pro 100 and my disconnect problems ceased immediately.
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X