My fan controller hates me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fan controller hates me...

Ok, so I took my rig apart and pulled the fan controller.

Then I took the fan controller apart and heres what I found. It caught fire. Don't ask my why or how because I haven't a clue.

As it sits now the computer is in pieces as I've decided to make sure nothign got damaged. I've also sent an email to the company who made the fan controller to see if I can get it replaced for free especially since it's less than 3 months old why should I pay to get a new one?

So, until I hear from them and I get a new controller I won't be playing online until my computer is fixed. I'll hop on TS and I'll be on the boards but I won't be on the battlefield unless BF2 decides it wants to run on my crappy computer. Which I may just try.

Oh yeah, I have pictures for those of you who want to see.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Re: My fan controller hates me...

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
    Ok, so I took my rig apart and pulled the fan controller.

Then I took the fan controller apart and heres what I found. It caught fire. Don't ask my why or how because I haven't a clue.

As it sits now the computer is in pieces as I've decided to make sure nothign got damaged. I've also sent an email to the company who made the fan controller to see if I can get it replaced for free especially since it's less than 3 months old why should I pay to get a new one?

So, until I hear from them and I get a new controller I won't be playing online until my computer is fixed. I'll hop on TS and I'll be on the boards but I won't be on the battlefield unless BF2 decides it wants to run on my crappy computer. Which I may just try.

Oh yeah, I have pictures for those of you who want to see.
    Why don't you just connect the fans directly to the PSU and deal with the tornado noise until you can get a new fan controller? And it may have burned up because 7 120mm fans is too much for it to handle :)
    Telorn

Comment

Its designed for 7 fans. I only had 4 hooked up to it. The others are hooked tot he PSU and the Mobo. I've gone and run out of room on the PSU and Mobo for fans. I don't mind the noise so much as I care about keeping my system cool.

I'm probably going to go pickup an el cheapo controller tomorrow.

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Jeez, how many fans do you need? If your PSU and Mobo are already entirely filled up, your case ought to be plenty cool. Mine's fine with one fan, plus the one on the PSU and the heatsink fan on the CPU,and with one in the front and one on the videocard I could never imagine anything overheating. You might want to look into your wiring or your airflow.

Comment

Are you telling me that your fans don't have a pass-thru cable so you can daisy chain your fans?
          Telorn

Comment

7 fans seems way overkill.

Anyway, Bling Bling!
            http://www.3dcool.com/index.php?cPath=440_441
            http://www.elgo-tech.com/controller.html

Actually I'll probably be making my own USB controlled fan controller similar to to T-Balancer. Mine will only do 6 fans, though and it won't have the fancy PC side software, and it certainly wont look so pretty. Still the hardware for the T-Balancer seems unnecessarily complex for its' function. I'm surprised somebody else hasn't put out a competing product, much cheaper.
            The Dirty

Comment

i only have one 120 on the side...the rest are 80 mm, 2 back, one front, one top....running all on low and i never even break 35 C no matter what i do. I dont know why you need so much air movement.

Also, this should be posted in the Technical Support Forum...just tryin to be a stickler lol

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                Are you telling me that your fans don't have a pass-thru cable so you can daisy chain your fans?
                Yes, I do. Somewhere. I might've even thrown them away or used them in another one of my computer projects.

With my gaming computer I try to keep wiring down to a minimum. As I try and keep it out of the way of everything. I also don'tlike the daisy chain pigtails because they are ghetto (hey, I'm picky it took me a year to find this fan controller).

Another reason I'm keeping the wiring down is because I'm running an SLi motherboard with one video card BUT I've planned ahead for a second video card and I'm running out of room. I have just enough room left in the case for the second video card and I start adding daisy chains then its going to be even more crowded.

I'm buying another fan controller tomorrow, a cheap one just so I can get the computer up and running until I can get this one fixed or replaced.

[volun][drill]
                I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Well, if you want to play until you can get it fixed, just make sure your CPU and GPU fans are running, remove the case, and the heat will dissipate itself. Temporary solution.
                  Telorn

Comment

How many amps can the fan controller push? How many were your fans pulling? I'd figure that out before you go bugging the company..

Here's your list of fans from the other thread:

Two 120mm blow hole fans.
                    One 120mm Processor fan.
                    One 120mm Video card fan (it blows in from the side of the case).
                    One 120mm Sound Card fan (also blows in from the side).
                    One 120mm rear exhaust fan.
                    One 120mm intake fan.
                    And there is one missing now....but thats my basic layout.
                    Forget the blowholes. Forget the sound card fan. That leaves you with your processor, vid card, exhaust, and intake (and I assume one on the power supply). See how your computer runs with that. The volume of air isn't as important as the flow of air over components that need it.

I have an AMD64 Winchester 3000+ and GeForce 6600 in an Antec Sonata case.. The video card is passively cooled (no fan from the factory..). The CPU has a Zalman heatsink on it with the fan speed turned all the way down. I have a 120mm fan sitting just behind my hard drive - its speed is turned all the way down. The stock Antec rear exhaust fan running at whatever speed it runs at.. pretty quiet. And the power supply fan. No northbridge fan.

When my computer is idle and my CPU temp drops to 33C, the CPU fan turns off and stays off until I start stressing the system again. When playing games, I've never seen the temps go above 40.

Think about the air flow and how it'll go over the components.. Monitor your temps and only add an additional fan back in there if things are out of control.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

Ok, the proc fan is powered and run through the mobo, the rear case fan the same, the front case fan the same.

The only things hooked to the controller were the blowholes and the side fans.

My temps never go about 40ºC either under a load.

As for what the load on the controller was I have no idea. I also have no idea on how to figure that out.

As for the controllers ratings, you got me, the don't tell you what type of fan you can run. In fact the directions for the thing are very vague at best and barely even tell you how to program it. In fact, th is whole fiasco actualyl has me pissed off. And I'm going to bug the manufacterer, even if I don't reuse their controller. I want either a working one I can sell or my money back.

As for the fans, they are DC12V at .48 amp.

How do I figure this stuff out?

*EDIT*
                      Ok found the specs online for the controller.

DC Input: 12 v / 5 v
                      Output Voltage: 6V - 12V

And according to this I was well within my specs. But I'm sure there is some mathematical thing I have to do to figure it out.

[volun][drill]
                      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

.48 amps is the load on the controller per fan. You'd have to check the specs on the fan controller and see if it mentions how many amps it can handle.
                        Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
                          The only things hooked to the controller were the blowholes and the side fans.

My temps never go about 40șC either under a load.
                          Try without that fan controller and extra fans.. you may be surprised.. Even if you're up in the 50's, you're alright.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

agreed - I've only got three fans... 1 on the vid card (x800xl), one 80mm side exhaust (right where the GPU fan blows out the hots), and one powersupply/CPU fan... and even that's plenty...

I think you'll be fine w/out all the extra flow (just make sure to setup the fans so that there's a flow through the box... cool clean air in the front/top and dusty/hot out the back - there's no point having all those fans if they just suck hot air right back in :) )

Comment

I'll be back on the servers tomorrow. I've been redoing some things all day and tomorrow during the day I'm going to relocate both my HDDs to the external of the case to free up some room.

[volun][drill]
                              I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...