Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket 478 Heatsink woes

Hey gang,

So I bought a new heatsink fan for my Socket478 Pentium 4 and found out that the thermal monitoring works . . .

My old heatsink fan (stock Intel one included with proc) had ridges on the edges of the block that faced the retention clip. This was to accomodate the little raised white bumps from the plastic studs you have to use to attach the retention clip to the motherboard. The bottom of the heatsink I purchased is totally flat, and when I mounted it on the retention clip, it sat on top of the white bumps instead of the die of the processor. Needless to say, I heard a terrible alarm sound and my computer shut down after breaching 70 degrees celsius due to their being no heatsink fan on it. I took it off and it definetly did not make contact with the die (none of the letters could be seen in the paste, nor the outline).

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I'm missing; should it have come with a different retention clip to fit the heatsink?

Re: Socket 478 Heatsink woes

Are you talking the clips or the actual mechanism that attaches to the motherboard? When you purchase a new HSF it should typically come with retention clips. I know when I picked up a better HSF recently it definitely came with clips. Typically the clips are specific to that HSF design to allow that HSF to mount properly to the standard 478 mechanism on the motherboard.

Sounds like you are using the clips that came with your old HSF, which may differ just enough from the design of your new HSF to result in it not being tight enough against the CPU die to do it's job.

Comment

No, I'm talking about the actual piece that sits on the motherboard, not the clips. The cliips attach into it just fine, it 's that it's sitting on the little studs that hold the retention clip onto the motherboard.

edit: bah, once i make 13 more posts i'll post the links to pictures of what i mean
      Last edited by Kal-El; 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

or host the images on flikr, or another website like that and give us a link to that.
        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X