Looking to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to...

With tax return time, I think this year is the year I'm finally going to look into getting a new machine. Right now, I'm shamefully running a Gateway AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz, 512 RAM and a Geforce 2 Ultra. Needless to say, it's quite outdated.

Now I don't want to spend $5000 on a computer, but right now I've just looked into Alienware, simply because of all the good things I've heard.

I was looking at the Aurora 5500, priced at $1,369 with the following configuration...

* AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ Processor
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    * 512MB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM 400MHz
    * 80GB 7,200 RPM SATA w/8MB Cache
    * NVIDIA GeForce™ 6600 GT 128MB DDR3
    * Integrated High Performance 7.1 Audio

I upgraded some things on it just for the heck of it to and it came out to something like $1,600, but that's obviously the base config for that price.

Not too bad, but since I haven't looked too much into this whole ordeal, I'm assuming there is probably a better, and cheaper, alternative. Problem is, I don't know where to look online into building a new machine and what brand is preferred. I am looking to purchase online, so a few tips or suggestions on where to look and what's best, in your opinion, would be great.

I probably wouldn't need a monitor, as I've got an Envision 19" that seems to be alright for the time being, but if an alternative was out there where I could add one in for a modest price whilst building a new machine, I'd definetely look into it.

So, really, what's your opinion on Alienware and/or would you suggest a different route?

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Re: Looking to...

Just got to newegg.com and find the same parts as what that one you just priced has and see what you come up. You already know what parts a computer need, just look for the speed and price you are looking for. Newegg has a review for about everypart they sell, so if you are stuck on what to get just check out to see what other buyers have thought about it

question do you need media drives or do you have those already. Ferret PM me with your emial addy and ill send you the specs for a system i just put together on newegg....its around 850 i believe and its a tad better then those specs you listd...such as 6800GS and a gig of ram
    Last edited by Trooper; 02-08-2006, 11:37 PM.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Alienware is way overpriced. For $1300 you could build a pc that slaughters the alienware specs you listed. Please consider building your own.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

My current machine has those exact parts except I have an SLI motherboard and a 1gig of RAM. It cost me around $850 to put it together from www.newegg.com last year.

I added a second 6600GT later and another Gig of RAM. Jeebus I love this machine
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Here is a sample list you could use http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Tac+Gamer+list
          It is a fairly well balanced system with good parts IMHO that beats the Alienware system and is cheaper than what you mentioned that you upgraded it to, and this included shipping of about $50 dollars to your location. For those to lazy to click on the link...

Lian-Li PC-7B Plus Black Case
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro - SLI Mobo Socket 969
          eVGA 7800GT 256MB
          FSP Group 600 watt SLI ready PSU
          Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Socket 939
          Corsair XMS 1 gig (2 x 512MB) Black
          WD 250 GB HD with SATA2 and 16 MB cache
          LITE-ON Black DVD+-RW/-RAM Drive w/ LightScribe cabability
          Creative Sound Blaster X-FI XtremeMusic edition

Subtotal: $1231.97
          Shipping: $46
          Final Total: $1277.97

You could switch out parts and such, I would suggest taking out the case and buying one local because you can save 15 dollars in shipping right there and possibly save some more money. Possibly upping the RAM or adding another CD/DVD Rom drive is another possibility. Not included in this is your OS, but XP Pro OEM is on sale on newegg for about $140 (it is on one of the daily specail pages currently) or XP Home OEM is about $85 normally.
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

see for not alot of money you can build a great system, but im going to make a suggestion, wait until august or september to do this. windows vista will be out and the direct X10 cards will be out, That way you can just up grade for even less money cuase prices are gonna fall more, and it will be up to date
            Last edited by Trooper; 02-09-2006, 03:14 PM.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Skip the Alienware
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, alienware = ripoff...if you haven't picked up on that yet.
                |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Originally posted by jackmacokc
                  Agreed.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have heard about alienware horror stories, and have seen some threads on other forums. So yah don't go with alienware.

PS
                    Trooper that link you provided just links to the shopping cart on newegg, not what you put in your cart. If you want to link like i did save a wish list and email it to your self and from that link you get in your inbox copy that and put that link in the post.
                    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by jackmacokc

Second that!

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                        Skip the Alienware
                        And make sure you only get Monster Cables brand cables for your Home theater needs ;)
                        |TG-1stMIP| Ransack

Comment

See, here's the thing, while I'd like to believe I know enough about PC components, I've also never built one from scratch -- ever. I'm afraid of possibly missing a component, getting something that isn't compatible...something along those lines.

I'd like to get everything brand new, from the tower, media drives, motherboard all down. Where to start, that's where the road starts to get bumpy...

Comment

Ferret if you go off that list that I provied and the link that would include everything you need to build your computer, plus you would have us here on the forums to ask questions. Also if you screw up and break something on accident, newegg will let you RMA it back if you say it was DOA.
                            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Thanks. Just curious (because I've never done it before), how hard or in depth is it to build a new machine from scratch?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X