Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you shut your computer down after you are done ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you shut your computer down after you are done ?

Is it better to leave your computer running or to shut it down after use ?

I would think, and i was told a long time ago by a friend who is a Computer Tech taht if you use your system alot that, leaving it on is easier on the Power Supply .....

What is your take on it ?
    Yes
    59.62%
    No
    40.38%
    Last edited by Gixxer_USMC; 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM.
    |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
    [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Re: Do you shut your computer down after you are done ?

24/7, save the most extreme weather.

I often access my machine remotely (from other machines, from my mobile phone, etc), so I never know when I'm going to need it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I can atleast attest to the fact that he is right insofar as when you turn anything on/off, you get bouncing or spiking on your power line for a brief instant, which will slowly wear down parts. This is why when most lightbulbs burn out, they burn out right after being turned on, for instance.

As for myself I usually leave my PC on unless there is some external reason for shutting it off (like my electric bill..hehe) but I deffinantly suggest shutting off your monitor if you're not using it.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

yah leaving it on is easier on the parts from what ive heard and been told. Turning it off and on just cuases unnessecary wear on the parts and circuits. Another reason i keep it on is that it actually keeps my office warmer then anyother part of the house.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

my pcs in MY room are running 24/7

my 2nd pc has been "up" since August 05
          my main pc has been constantly running since monday (had to take some hardware out so had to shut down)

however my parents pc is turned on and off all the time. And the PSU passed out last time they did this and its taken the HDD and GFX card with it (i think) So..... turning the pc on and off isnt really healthy.....
          From Adam Webb

Comment

The only time I shut my computer down is to switch from XP to linux, which is on a seperate HD.

Comment

I always leave mine running. I was told the same thing by a professor that when you turn the computer on it causes spikes on the line and a greater potential to cause hardware failure.
              Last edited by Telorn; 02-10-2006, 03:05 PM.
              Telorn

Comment

yes, the spike thing is definetly true. even using an avr, you can still get spikes, but, as long as you have good hardware, it shouldn't be a terrible concern, that's what capacitors are for :D

right now i shut mine down. i have a nice 500 watt antec psu that delivers some nice, clean electricity along with an apc avr, and an intel board, so i don't sweat it. if you have a no-name mobo, a no-name psu, and plug into a surge protector or directly into a wall, you're definetly more at risk. no-name psu's are notorious for giving 'dirty' electricity; it's part of the reason you can pay $60-100 for a good antec and ~$25 for a no-name brand with the same power rating, cheaper equipment = less protection.

i'm going to hopefully be able to leave mine on 24/7 soon. i'm doing some quiet upgrades: Zalman CNPS7000B CPU cooler, Zalman VF700 VGA Cooler (both ~18-20dBA in silent mode, which is practically inaudible), seagate 250gb sata hdd with there silent technology, and a Zalman HDD cooler that has heat pipes and uber noise reduction for my raptor. so, if part of the reason you don't leave your computer on in your room is noise (which is mine), there's some suggestions for you :D Zalman is a great company to go to for quieting down your pc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                  i'm going to hopefully be able to leave mine on 24/7 soon. i'm doing some quiet upgrades: Zalman CNPS7000B CPU cooler, Zalman VF700 VGA Cooler (both ~18-20dBA in silent mode, which is practically inaudible),
                  Ehe, I have both of those (or atleast comparable models) Love the things. Though I didn't get them for the silent fans, I got them for the copper heatsinks.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

On all the time save for really bad weather.

Comment

my computer is in my bedroom. so i turn it off anytime i'm watching a movie, sleeping...anything where i don't want to hear its noisyness.
                      [TG]epheneh

Comment

Server stays on all the time because it needs to.

My machine stays on all the time because it sometimes needs to, and I am heavily conditioned to leaving it on. Oh and because I spend so much damn time using it.

The family machine goes off when not in use, usually just to standby mode.
                        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                          i'm doing some quiet upgrades
                          Gotcha. Mum's the word.

I shut my system down for the night when I'm done. I got sick of cleaning hair and dust out of the fans and filters all the time.

Comment

I don't know about all the techie aspects of it, ... but I leave my computer on for the sheer convenience. I'm lazy and impatient :)

*OMG I just posted in a NOT WOW thread*

Thanks, Wyz

Comment

Originally posted by Cadian
                              welcome to the other side... lol

24/7 on all the time but I shut off my monitor.
                              I'm never concerned with shutting mine off since I swtiched to LCD. The Samsung 193p uses 2 watts power while in 'standby' and 1 watt power while 'off'. I usually turn it off, but I'm not concerned about remembering anymore. With my CRT it mattered. The 'standby' mode used 90 watts. More than my LCD uses total - 60 watts!
                              Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X