• Show
Clear All

• 7800 GT Low fps and 3dmark06 score.

Hi, i recently upgraded my pc to:

Intel p4 3.20 GHZ
    2 gigs ram (4x512)
    BFG Tech Nvidia 7800 GT 256mb
    New fsp 500w psu

Anyway...i thought it would be able to handle bf2 all on high, 4xaa, 1280x1024 but my framerate hardly can hit above 50 most of the time. Usually sticking around the 30's. SF Can be even worse!

I've tried latest drivers and the drivers from the cd and still not much improvement.

My Audio settings are only software:Medium:NO EAX

I decided to download and run 3dmark06 and the graphics tests were running terrible
    , comparing it on their site...i find people with similar systems with double the score.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Really annoyed :(

Edit: 3d mark 06 score:

Re: 7800 GT Low fps and 3dmark06 score.

bump

Comment

Would a reinstall of windows fix this, if so ill just have to do that?

Comment

I dont think a re-install would cure your problem!
        Im just lookin through a mag for some comparison specs but im pretty sure that running 4 x AA will take its toll even on that card :(
        Did you happen to see what the frame rate was like?

Comment

i had the same problem with my new system. I have a 4800 x2, 2 gigs, 256 gtx, all the trimmings, and i was getting barely 20 fps in bf2. I was ready to kill someone lol. What i did to fix it (which took a looong time) But it was either one of two things - i upgraded the BIOS. It doesnt sound like much but it could make a huge difference. Or - (what i think helped me) - Reset my cpu and heatsink. I didnt use artic silver the first time plus i had the stock cooler on there. So i tried my Zalman heatsink that i bought and used some silver for the cpu (nice and thin and covers the whole cpu). Booted it up and it worked like it should.

I did both of those steps at the same time unfortunately, so i dont know which one fixed it...but my guess its the cpu. Hope that helps....good luck man.

Comment

What screen size do you use in game?
            1024x768
            1280x1024
            1600x1200

Comment

oops i see it, just re-read 1st post
              Have you tried dropping to 2 AA and seeing the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                oops i see it, just re-read 1st post
                Have you tried dropping to 2 AA and seeing the difference?
                Nope. i thought it would be able to handle it. Ill try 2xAA now.

Ive tried putting all settings on medium and texture on high with same res and AA. Barely does it keep above 50fps on the streets of mashtuur. Thanks for help

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88
                  i had the same problem with my new system. I have a 4800 x2, 2 gigs, 256 gtx, all the trimmings, and i was getting barely 20 fps in bf2. I was ready to kill someone lol. What i did to fix it (which took a looong time) But it was either one of two things - i upgraded the BIOS. It doesnt sound like much but it could make a huge difference. Or - (what i think helped me) - Reset my cpu and heatsink. I didnt use artic silver the first time plus i had the stock cooler on there. So i tried my Zalman heatsink that i bought and used some silver for the cpu (nice and thin and covers the whole cpu). Booted it up and it worked like it should.

I did both of those steps at the same time unfortunately, so i dont know which one fixed it...but my guess its the cpu. Hope that helps....good luck man.
                  Ah, you mean latest drivers. The acer site says it runs the risk of "flash failure", so i was abit hesitant. I may try this.

What do you mean reset the cpu and heatsink, what does this do overall to the pc and how do i go about doing it?

P.S: Thanks for help!

Comment

You want the latest drivers, first of all, then you want to upgrade your motherboard and chipset BIOS; since the 7800 is a very new card the updated BIOS will probably affect your performance. Resetting the CPU and heatsink means taking them out and putting them back in again, but that isn't neccessary unless updating your BIOS and your drivers doesn't work. Make sure the fan on your videocard is functioning and that you have airflow around it too.

Comment

yea definately try upgrading the BIOS first, cuz thats easy. Reseting the cpu is a bit of a pain, depending on the heatsink. So try the BIOS first, then if that doesnt work, you might need to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88
                        yea definately try upgrading the BIOS first, cuz thats easy. Reseting the cpu is a bit of a pain, depending on the heatsink. So try the BIOS first, then if that doesnt work, you might need to try this.
                        Ah ok, do i simply run the bios drivers or so i uninstall old ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                          Did you happen to see what the frame rate was like?
                          Mostly about 30 if not below. Worse on indoor sf maps. It jumps alot, from above 60 which it is rarely, then down to 30, then 40 etc..., but mostly 30

Comment

just run the new drivers...i know abit has a lil program to make this whole process a lot easier, basically fool's proof...not sure about other companies, but just runt he new drivers and you should be fine.

Comment

I cant seem to flash the bios, i checked in it and noticed i have version: r01-b0 . So i went to the acer site and dloaded "r01-c0". Here is the readme instructions:

Instructions for flashing BIOS:

1. Unzip all files under one directory in DOS
                              2. Run the batch file at DOS prompt to flash the BIOS.
                              3. The system will automatically shutdown after successful flashing of BIOS.

Notes:

1. Only run the batch file to flash the BIOS (files in the zip must NOT be
                              used individually).
                              2. Only use pure DOS to flash the BIOS. DOS box in Windows must NOT be used.

[hr]

But when i click the batch file a Command prompt window appears, goes off after 1 second. Then the screen goes black for a second. Then just back to normal. :S What am i doing wrong?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X