Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7800 GS OC AGP is out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

    All u agp users should know that a new agp power house has enter the ever so scarce AGP market. From wat i read it seem that this card has only 16 pipes and should performs about 80-85 % from the GT witch only comes on PCI-e. To read more theres a nice review here u guys can have a look at.
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...bfg7800gs_agp/

    lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
    Delta MICS
    Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

  • #2
    Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

    why invest in old technology? it doesnt mate sense unless your REALLY strapped for cash



    AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

      Exactly, Xink.

      I'm just holding out with 6800GT OC until the new AMD socket and DX10 video cards come out. But if someone wants their system to last another year and they have a 6600 or below, then the 7800GS is a worthy investment.
      Telorn

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

        how about an x800?

        lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
        Delta MICS
        Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

          I don't think an X800 is even as good as a 6800 Ultra.
          Telorn

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

            i know its a x800 pro... wat i mean is an x800, is it worth upgrading to a GF 7800 GS?

            lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
            Delta MICS
            Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

              Originally posted by Xink
              why invest in old technology? it doesnt mate sense unless your REALLY strapped for cash
              exactly

              some sites show the true story....

              If you have a skt 939 AMD and ram already, its the same price to get a PCIexpress motherboard and PCIexpress graphics like the 7800gt which is miles faster also.... in this case WHY BUY AGP?
              From Adam Webb

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                I swear I hate PCI Express. I finnaly caved in around Christmas to get a new mobo.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

                [tg-c1]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                  Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                  I swear I hate PCI Express. I finnaly caved in around Christmas to get a new mobo.
                  why?

                  its miles better than AGP and PCI.
                  From Adam Webb

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                    ^^^^Theoritically yes. In the future yes. In the here and now no. Only people it benefits are those with enough money to get Xfire and SLI. Which I am sure most of us here wouldn't do. (Except for me but I don't have the money for it.)

                    When AGP replaced PCI for video cards the PCI bus was becoming a bottleneck. Not so with PCIE to AGP.

                    Its just the card companies wanting to sell more mobos.
                    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

                    [tg-c1]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                      Originally posted by slugslinger
                      i know its a x800 pro... wat i mean is an x800, is it worth upgrading to a GF 7800 GS?

                      Yes. The reason why the 7800GS is a good option is because right now we are in limbo with hardware. Do you upgrade now to PCIe and 939 mobo with the AM2 AMD sockets right around the corner? DX10? Vista? New gen graphics that siupport DX10 this fall/late summer?

                      I'm AGP and I probably won't upgrade until I can get my hands on the new socket for AMD, thankfully I have a nice 6800GT, but if I had less or it crapped out on me a 7800GS might be worth the price.

                      Really, it all depends on what you have and what your upgrade cycle is.

                      Of course, I have seen some spectacular deals on 7800GT+mobo out there once in a awhile which would be a viable option also.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                        Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                        ^^^^Theoritically yes. In the future yes. In the here and now no. Only people it benefits are those with enough money to get Xfire and SLI. Which I am sure most of us here wouldn't do. (Except for me but I don't have the money for it.)

                        When AGP replaced PCI for video cards the PCI bus was becoming a bottleneck. Not so with PCIE to AGP.

                        Its just the card companies wanting to sell more mobos.
                        card companies dont sell motherboards, so its not them that are doing this.


                        AGP was becoming the bottleneck in speed AND power.
                        almost *ALL* AGP cards now need power connectors from the PSU. Only the highest end graphics cards on PCIexpress need power connectors from PSU.

                        remember, that PCIexpress is replacing BOTH PCI and AGP. PCI has been a bottleneck for at least 5 years now. PCI was a shared bus, and once you add up Network cards, Harddrives (they are connected via PCI bus on PCI boards) you very soon run out of performance. Not to mention the PCI devices (and hdds connected to them) have to wait around for other cards to finish there job, since only 1 device can use the bus at a time.

                        PCIexpress allows direct, instant access for every device. Harddrive controlers on PCIexpress bus are now no longer limited in bandwidth. Network cards will no longer limited. etc etc. The list goes on.

                        the main reason you think that PCIexpress x16 isnt needed and that AGP is fine, is because the graphics cards WE use for gaming, have there own ram (256-512mb), they do not need the bandwidth of even AGPx4, because they rarely go to system ram. That is what AGP1/2/3 (2x, 4x and 8x) and PCIexpressx16 was designed for, to allow graphics cards to have less onboard ram (ie cheaper) but share system memory. Cards that do this need as much bandwidth as they can from the bus.

                        Since PCIexpressx16 came out, both Nvidia and ATI have come out with designs that have 8-32mb onboard cache, and mainly use the system memory. This makes extremely cheap graphics cards. Neither company had a AGP card that could do this.

                        This is also why 256mb graphics cards have a rapid drop of in performance once they go past 1600x1200 FSAAx4, because the card is now going to system memory.
                        From Adam Webb

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                          ^^^^(Looks at motherboard) ATI Radeon Xpress. (Looks at Gigabyte mobo) Nvidia Nforce 3 Ultra. They may not make the boards themselves but they make the chipsets for them.

                          Granted I don't think we should be argueing about this. Its not so much that I don't know what makes PCIE so great. Its just I was in that very large group that had a sweet rig. (Socket 939 mobo, Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.4Ghz, 1GB, and an X800XL.)

                          I wanted to upgrade to dual core and a better video card to play at the high res. (and AA/AF i am starting to use) My mobo was S939 so I could get X2 (might have needed a BIOS flash) then came the vid card part. X800XL while a solid card wasn't doing it for me at high res. My only options were X850XT PE. The X1800XT was coming out soon. I figured it would be on AGP since there was no reason for it not too.

                          But that never came so around Christmas I upgraded. Having to drop an extra 189 for a PCIE mobo is not cool. I don't mind but you can't deny it would have been nicer to get an X1800XT AGP, get the X2, and some RAM and be done with it.
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

                          [tg-c1]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                            Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                            ^^^^(Looks at motherboard) ATI Radeon Xpress. (Looks at Gigabyte mobo) Nvidia Nforce 3 Ultra. They may not make the boards themselves but they make the chipsets for them.

                            Granted I don't think we should be argueing about this. Its not so much that I don't know what makes PCIE so great. Its just I was in that very large group that had a sweet rig. (Socket 939 mobo, Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.4Ghz, 1GB, and an X800XL.)

                            I wanted to upgrade to dual core and a better video card to play at the high res. (and AA/AF i am starting to use) My mobo was S939 so I could get X2 (might have needed a BIOS flash) then came the vid card part. X800XL while a solid card wasn't doing it for me at high res. My only options were X850XT PE. The X1800XT was coming out soon. I figured it would be on AGP since there was no reason for it not too.

                            But that never came so around Christmas I upgraded. Having to drop an extra 189 for a PCIE mobo is not cool. I don't mind but you can't deny it would have been nicer to get an X1800XT AGP, get the X2, and some RAM and be done with it.
                            im sure the people with VESA boards back in the late 80s thought the same. ;) the same could be said for ISA to PCI, PCI to AGP, PCI and AGP to PCIexpress.

                            Its progress. Much like dual core CPU's are progress, or DDRII etc.
                            From Adam Webb

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 7800 GS OC AGP is out!

                              Custom do your best to hold off until late summer/early fall. Your PC is about the same as mine - same CPU, RAM and I have a 6800GT.

                              When the AM2 AMD's come out it, at the very least, will mean a price drop on the 939 AMD's, not to mention that we will have a clearer picture of what the next gen DX10 graphics cards will bring.

                              But, if you want to upgrade now the 7800GS is a decent choice - and don't worry about the whole PCIe thing since it's not a benefit to anything (ie games) right now.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X