Wee, RAM upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wee, RAM upgrade

Well my tax returns are back, so of course that means I have to spend it all before the week is out or else gremlins eat my eyes. Going from 1gig to 2gig, just wondering what your thoughts on this deal were:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145486

The RAM I have now is Corsair, and I haven't had any problems with them.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Wee, RAM upgrade

I experienced a pretty major increase in performance when going from one to two gigs. It's best described as a major decrease if not elimination in the occasional choppiness you get while travelling about on the map.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Oh, and I know this has been beaten into the ground and such, but about dual channel. Would I be better off just swapping my 2x512 for the 2x1gb, or sticking 2x1gb in channel 1 and 2x512 in channel 2? Can't remember if that would dump it out of dual channel or not even though they're paired, or if bumping up to 3gig would be worth not running in dual channel (assuming 4 sticks automatically takes you out of that mode).
      [squadl]

Comment

When I upgraded I just used the new 2x1gig sticks. Most people would recommend just using the two sticks, and yes I believe using four sticks would take it out of dual channel.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

When I upgraded I just used the new 2x1gig sticks. Most people would recommend just using the two sticks, and yes I believe using four sticks would take it out of dual channel.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx

I would stick with the 2 1 Gig Dimms. In order to maintain the dual channel setup you require the Dimms be the same size etc.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Only use the 2 1 gig sticks. Placing 4 sticks will most definitely drop dual channel AND force the memory to run at PC2700 (333MHz) for compatibility.
              Telorn

Comment

Well, here's the final tally on my upgrade. Now that my system is up to par, I should be good to go for 3-5 years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102188
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145486
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103941

The non-link version:
                SB X-Fi Music
                2x1gb Corsair RAM
                550W Antec modular power supply
                [squadl]

Comment

3-5 years? heheh. heheh. In 3 years games will probably be Vista only and you'll have to upgrade to run Vista :)
                  Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                    3-5 years? heheh. heheh. In 3 years games will probably be Vista only and you'll have to upgrade to run Vista :)
                    Well yea, but with the new DRM we're all going to have to have microchips implanted to control our thoughts within 2 years, so I won't have to worry about it.
                    [squadl]

Comment

Blah blah blah...take it to the DRM discussion in the sandbox :) It's not going to be THAT controlling. If you don't improperly download music or programs from p2p/usenet, then you have nothing to worry about.
                      Telorn

Comment

Blah blah blah...take it to the DRM discussion in the sandbox :) It's not going to be THAT controlling. If you don't improperly download music or programs from p2p/usenet, then you have nothing to worry about.
                        Except for the electric shocks the chip gives you when you think about buying a non-Microsoft product. :P

It's all in good fun, not trying to start a debate.

Funny thing; I was all excited when I saw this stuff in my shopping cart. Now that I've actually paid for them, not so much, haha. Yay money.
                        [squadl]

Comment

Why would a song illegaly acquired via P2P be DRM protected?

Comment

Can't go wrong with Corsair.
                            I also recommend 2x 1GB sticks. 2GB will make a huge difference but there's no current need to go any higher.
                            I would recommend a little faster RAM than the 8-3-3-3 you have linked. How bout this -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145574
                            $40 more but currently offering a $40 rebate. 6-3-3-2 latency.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Originally posted by Scooper
                              Can't go wrong with Corsair.
                              I also recommend 2x 1GB sticks. 2GB will make a huge difference but there's no current need to go any higher.
                              I would recommend a little faster RAM than the 8-3-3-3 you have linked. How bout this -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145574
                              $40 more but currently offering a $40 rebate. 6-3-3-2 latency.
                              Already placed my order, but I don't really think I'll see a difference with the timing. The RAM I have right now has the same timing as what I ordered, I believe. Thanks though. :)
                              [squadl]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X