Memory O/C'ing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory O/C'ing

Anybody have advice on o/c'ing memory. I have a gig stick of corsair value select DDR 3200memory. The timing is set at 200 mghz and I can increase the timing through my bios. My question is I know I have to increase the voltage to the dimm slot as I go higher. How high do I have to go before I have to increase the voltage and is there anything else I need to be aware of. This is just something I am considering if it's to risky I wan't do it. Thanks

System
    AMD 64 3400+ 754 socket
    epox ep-8npasli mobo pci-e
    EVGA 7800gt n516 vid card
    1gig 3200 corsair value select memory
    xp home
    sigpic

Re: Memory O/C'ing

Eh, Oc'ing is all about moving slowly and constantly checking stability. The basic process is that you increase the bios mhz by a very, very small increment, then you run some kind of benchmark to make sure it's stable. If so, increase by another small incriment and repeat until you find an increase that is unstable. Then you go back a step, increase the voltage by 1 very small incriment, run benchmarks, and see if you can push it any further. Once you find your final stable level, voila. Some people like to overvolt more than once but I do not.

If you take it *very slowly* there isn't much risk involved. Most people fry stuff by pushing way too hard right away. The real question is if you will really need the increased performance. If you don't run stuff at maximum settings, the answer is no, you probably do not, because the increase in power won't be evident unless you're pushing your system into that upper level. Most people overclock as a hobby and not because the actual performance increase matters. I never overclock my primary machine, and usually only overclock older rigs I have laying around that are obsolete anyway, just to see what I can get out of them.

All that being said, there is always some risk (albeit minor) no matter how careful you are when doing this sort of thing. Make sure you read up on as many sources as you can so that you know what the signs of problems are and don't fry something because you're unsure. Finally, make sure it is really necissary for you, for whatever reason (for some people, just being able to say they overclock is enough) And realize that at best you can only expect up to about a 10% increase in performance, and realistically you're probably looking at less. Well, unless you're working on one of those old Duron CPU's that you can overclock almost 100% ;)

Here is one guide from overclockers.com:
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips1039/
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thanks Spyder for the information and advice
      sigpic

Comment

I just whipped my Corsair 3200 DDR400 up to 235 FSB and it still works. Left all the other values at stock except CAS which went from 3 to 2.5 as outlined in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/fo...hp?forumid=128

Comment

id recommend running Memtest to see if its still "fine"

http://www.memtest.org/

if it looks like this you are not fine ;)

(thats another crucial failure :()
          From Adam Webb

Comment

You should also run your benchmark at your regular settings. This way you have a baseline to work from. Many times, overclocking can actually decrease your performance. By creating your baseline, you can see if your overclocking is really helping or if it is even degrading performance.
            Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
              You should also run your benchmark at your regular settings. This way you have a baseline to work from. Many times, overclocking can actually decrease your performance. By creating your baseline, you can see if your overclocking is really helping or if it is even degrading performance.
              very true, as sometimes faster mhz is not always better, when you consider reduced latencies etc.

200mhz 2-2-2-8 is often faster than 250mhz 3-4-4-8. it totaly depends on your setup though.
              From Adam Webb

Comment

When you see the white smoke..

You went too far.

- trust me on that one.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                  I am current;y running 7666 on 3dmark05. I think I will stay where I'm at and maybe buy another stick of mem. Thanks to all for the help and advice.
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X