New Linux Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Question

I have a distro that uses grub, but i wanna switch to another one but this new one uses lilo, its not gonna funk up my MBR when it makes the change will it?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: New Linux Question

Okay, there's an easy way to handle problems like this. First, let's pretend that you're the lilo-using distribution. You're feeling angry, and holding a sniper rifle. Then there's the MBR, also known as "munchkin", making his happy, innocent way across a meadow in CoD2 to plant some explosives.

Hope that helps.
    Disclaimer: I know nothing about your issue, but I'm guessing the same principles apply.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

LILO is deprecated. It's what Red Hat used to use, but they switched to GRUB. Which distro is still using LILO? Ask them why.

LILO edits the boot sector each time you change a setting in its config file and run the lilo utility. GRUB reads its text file at boot time, and the boot sector is changed only when you first install it.

LILO does have a nice feature of a "one-shot" boot, where it boots a different entry one time and then returns to the default entry. This is good for testing a kernel at a remote location when you're not sure if it will boot. You can power-cycle a hung system and get back the old reliable kernel. AFAIK GRUB doesn't have an equivalent. But that's the only real advantage I can think of. If you can see the machine's console, you don't need this feature.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I like LILO because it's what I'm used to. Gentoo gives me the freedom to choose either one :)
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

okay next question how do i get rid of it as in uninstall it off my MBR?
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Install whatever you want.. LILO will overwrite GRUB, GRUB will overwrite LILO.. A dos bootdisk will put a dos/windows MBR back on there by running "fdisk /mbr" or "fixmbr" in the XP recovery console.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              LILO does have a nice feature of a "one-shot" boot, where it boots a different entry one time and then returns to the default entry. This is good for testing a kernel at a remote location when you're not sure if it will boot. You can power-cycle a hung system and get back the old reliable kernel. AFAIK GRUB doesn't have an equivalent. But that's the only real advantage I can think of. If you can see the machine's console, you don't need this feature.
              Having used both LILO and Grub for many years, I'm now a really big fan of Grub. I wouldn't put LILO back in unless you paid me a whole lot of money.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

How about $8.95 a month? :P
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                  How about $8.95 a month? :P
                  LOL.. No, that won't get me to swith back to LILO.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                    I like LILO because it's what I'm used to. Gentoo gives me the freedom to choose either one :)
                    Comfort is nice. I stayed with DOS long after Win3.1 came out.

Is anyone actively developing LILO? I thought it was a dead project.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Yea, looks like the latest update was released last September.. http://lilo.go.dyndns.org/
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

Thanks, I stand corrected, then. Here's the changelog:

http://home.san.rr.com/johninsd/pub/linux/lilo/CHANGES

For comparison, here's the GRUB project:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X