Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its official there will be 7 versions of Windows Vista?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its official there will be 7 versions of Windows Vista?

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...a_editions.asp

Windows Starter 2007 - $99
    Windows Vista Home Basic - $199
    Windows Vista Home Basic N - $199
    Windows Vista Home Premium - $299
    Windows Vista Business - $399 (or under Software Assurance contract)
    Windows Vista Business N - $399 (or under Software Assurance contract)
    Windows Vista Ultimate - $499
    Windows Vista Enterprise - $999 (or under Software Assurance contract)

The pricing is just speculation from the Anandtech forums. I can image them being accurate. Now only if I can find 500 dollars for Vista Ultimate.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Its official there will be 7 versions of Windows Vista?

cheap

Comment

What the heck do they need 3 home versions for? They aren't gonna make it like the Xbox 360 are they? With that they had the 'Core System' (Crap) and the real one with a hard drive. I still don't see why they made a home version and a pro version of XP. Home users can use the added security features too.

Really, the only two versions I could see needing is a regular version (for home or pro use) and a server version to run domain servers and such.
      AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

If I recall correctly several of those are mandated under the EU/DOJ rulings. Although I personally prefer the Home/Pro and then 200x Server editions.

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

The reason there are so many is because well the starter edition is for developing nations. (On a side note its a really stupid concept. Its for nations where piracy is a really big issue but hey lets give them a crippled version of Windows so they will want to pirate windows.)

Home basic is pretty much XP Home. It will be the version that most computers will have. Home Basic N is the same thing only it lacks WMP and a few other things that the EU banned.

Home Premium is what you get when you combine XP Tablet PC and Media Center Edition.

Vista Business is XP Professional.

Vista Enterprise is I guess is like Windows XP Corporate edition.

Vista ultimate edition is what you get when all of the special features each version of Windows has is put in one package. Basically think of it as Enerprise/Business/Home Premium put together. They are also adding some more stuff to the OS. (Incentives to buy it.) No official word on what just speculation.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Way too expensive. Period.
            |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Originally posted by jackmacokc
              Way too expensive. Period.

I agree ......
              |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
              [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                I agree ......
                Ditto.

A waist. Time to get on those TacOS people.
                Oyee

Comment

Don't forget that those are 'full install' prices. If you own a previous version of Windows, you can buy the 'upgrade' version much cheaper.
                  Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                    Don't forget that those are 'full install' prices. If you own a previous version of Windows, you can buy the 'upgrade' version much cheaper.
                    Upgrades give varying degrees of issues, though. There's a reason why most tech guys I know do a full wipe/install of OS's. :)
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                      Upgrades give varying degrees of issues, though. There's a reason why most tech guys I know do a full wipe/install of OS's. :)
                      No, no, no. You don't get it. It's the upgrade version, but you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc. When you go to install the OS on a formatted HD, all the install will do is ask for you to insert an older OS version in the CD-ROM so it can verify that you 'owned' an older version. Unless of course they change this :) In which case, I'll download a hacked version and insert my upgrade key ;)
                      Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                        No, no, no. You don't get it. It's the upgrade version, but you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc. When you go to install the OS on a formatted HD, all the install will do is ask for you to insert an older OS version in the CD-ROM so it can verify that you 'owned' an older version. Unless of course they change this :) In which case, I'll download a hacked version and insert my upgrade key ;)
                        No, I understand that, too. I tried doing that with XP and had... less than savory results. If there's no difference between an upgrade and a full install CD, there's no reason for a $300 or whatever price difference. I don't trust stuff like that, heh.
                        [squadl]
                        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

They only make the price difference to give returning customers a discount and to get them to buy their newest product. You just got unlucky. I've used upgrades in the past no problem :)

And I think the max savings was $100. $300 for full install Professional would go for $200 upgrade version.
                          Telorn

Comment

^^^^I used to do that. Until I noticed OEM XP is cheaper.
                            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Yep, just ordered XP Home OEM myself for $95 shipped from Newegg. I understand the limitations related to hardware changes (mainly the motherboard) that come with OEM but it's hard to beat the price.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X