Music Download services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Download services

Well i was looking at a few and trying out napster right now, anyone else use one that i should check out before i set my sites on paying for this.

wall-mart
    yahoo (don't actually download the songs just put them into your account)
    itunes (refuse to use)

any others out there
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Music Download services

I personally think they all suck but that is just me but if I had to pick one it would be MSN Music. Napster is also pretty cool its what I am using now.

None of the online music stores can match having the real CD. I just prefer using WMA Lossless. When online music stores start selling lossless copies of songs then they will be better then owning a CD. Until then I refuse to pay a dollar for 128KB-256KB WMA/MP3/ACC.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have never used it, but some folks I work with are happy customers of
      allofmp3.com

They offer multiple formats of all music, so you pay for the quality you want and you get exactly the quality you desire.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Who pays for .MP3's ??? LOL

Just kidding ....

My wife uses NAPSTER with her DELL DJ ...

They have $14.95 per month with UNLIMITED Downloads ... it is good if you download a lot .. like she does .....
        |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
        [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Napster is what I use, I use Musicmatch to rip my cd's.
          XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Another is Connect.com. It is Sony's music service. Haven't tried it yet, but plan on switching to it in March when it starts to natively support the PSP. It is probably the closest thing to ITunes, with music, video, and podcasts. I believe ITunes has the best selection, though.
            Telorn

Comment

Keep in mind that every decent service save allopmp3.com (which is of questionable legality) use DRM protected files.

Not such a big deal for others, but that automatically disqualifies them for me. Without getting caught up in the DRM discussion going on in the sandbox, the fact of the matter is that I refuse to purchase something that won't work on my MP3 player, and which limits the number of times I can copy it. Keep in mind that I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of DRM, just saying that I think DRM protected media is not worth paying for in my case.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                Keep in mind that every decent service save allopmp3.com (which is of questionable legality) use DRM protected files.
                Heh, way easy to get around with iTunes, I believe they even tell you how to do it in one of their FAQ's. Download the sounds, burn them as a music CD, import them back into iTunes as .mp3 files.

I use iTunes, as I'm not a big downloader. At most I get 8-10 songs a month, usually less. Napster looks fine if you download a lot, but I'm not payint $15/mo or whatever if I'm only going to get a few songs.

Trooper, why won't you use iTunes? Just wondering.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

If you use ITunes version 4.x you can download a program that will automatically remove the DRM protection from all purchased music and convert them to m4a (unprotected AAC format). But no one has taken the time to create one for the version 6 of ITunes. And Apple added a new security feature of once you install and purchase a song with v6, you can't go back to an older version.
                  Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                    Ah, interesting link Tybalt! Thanks. I have been questioning the legality of that site since I was first told about it.

Do ignore the stuff they say about transcoding. When I looked at the site, everything was either pre-encoded or encoded from lossless.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I never liked Connect. Same reason I hate Itunes though. (Aside from the songs not being lossless) Atrac only works on Sony MP3 players and ACC only works on Ipods.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                        I never liked Connect. Same reason I hate Itunes though. (Aside from the songs not being lossless) Atrac only works on Sony MP3 players and ACC only works on Ipods.
                        AAC works on many devices, the PSP included. It's just that m4p (music purchased from ITunes in protected format) will not work on anything but the IPod - and that's thanks to Apple, so you buy their product. But if you convert the m4p to m4a (either by hacking or burning the music to a CD and then importing the CD), it will work on any player that supports AAC.
                        Telorn

Comment

^^^^I knew I should have been more specific.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Have to clarify for those that don't know :)
                            Telorn

Comment

Just my .02.. I've used Rhapsody for over a year and have had no issues. In fact.. they've been very flexible with DRM. I had 'authorized' the limit of PC's but it was because of reformatting, reseting, etc without deauthorizing.. called and they reset my authorizations - all done within minutes.

Burned my limit on some titles but wife damaged a bunch of disks in her call.. called, they reset the counter.. no questions. Just plain good customer service (Rhapsody is a division on Real Networks I believe). I have an I-Pod Nano (won in a raffle), so I have to pay for each song.. not the 14.95 monthly unlimited d/l - but I still wouldn't trade it for going back to regular music sales/retail. Rhapsody currently doesn't support the I-Pods for that unlimited d/l service.. check for compat. devices on the website.

I've also used Napster, iTunes, and Connect.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X