CPU HeatSink - recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU HeatSink - recommendations?

So I just got a new motherboard and case (for a few reasons). It's a P4 2.8Ghz (socket 478) that was living on a Dell mobo in a Dell case. Dell uses this proprietary heat-sink, so I need a new CPU cooler now...

here's what I'm lookin for:

performance: I'm going to be OC'ing a P4 2.8Ghz (478)... not sure what I'll get out of it - maybe 3.2 if i'm really lucky??

price: under $50... $30ish would be ideal... so nothing water cooled.

anyway... after some initial research on a few sites, i've narrowed it down to about 425 options, and figured I'd see if any of you guys had any opinions...

:row__631:

Re: CPU HeatSink - recommendations?

this is what I have:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-tri-13.html

Does not fit some motherboards, you'll have to check out thermalright's website to see if it fits yours. This is one of the best CPU coolers on the market that is not liquid cooled. The XP-120 is even better, but it is HUGE. The XP-90 takes a 90mm fan on top of it. I have been very pleased with mine on my A64 (2.4GHz).

Comment

id recommend either

a: a asetek Vapochill micro - http://www.asetek.com/main/page.asp?sideid=623

Or

b: a Thermalright XP120/XP90 like JMJ said - http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m...duct_xp120.htm
      From Adam Webb

Comment

nice, thanks guys!!

(+rep)

Comment

Not near as big or probably as aggressive for OCing as JMJs but I've been impressed with my Ultra ULT31422.

http://www.ultraproducts.com/product...9&productID=79

I'm running a P4 2.66Ghz (not OCing it at all though) and my CPU temp never goes over 112F under load.

I had never bought Ultra products until I picked up an Ultra X-Connect modular PSU and was very impressed with the quality and stabililty. Needed a HSF the next week and saw they had one very decently priced ($<20) and I have no complaints thus far.

Comment

Not $30 but here's a link to mine. I love it!
            Zalman CNPS9500 LED
            http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=165

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Personally I think Thermalright's Copper HS's are probably the best you can buy. If you're on a bit of a budget, or are a sound freak, I would recommend Zalman's copper heatsinks as well (is what I personally use on mine). And yes, they are all large and circular. It's Zalman's thing =P
              I personally use this model:
              http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/...x=147&code=009
              which you can get from newegg for under $40
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                Personally I think Thermalright's Copper HS's are probably the best you can buy. If you're on a bit of a budget, or are a sound freak, I would recommend Zalman's copper heatsinks as well (is what I personally use on mine). And yes, they are all large and circular. It's Zalman's thing =P
                I personally use this model:
                http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/...x=147&code=009
                which you can get from newegg for under $40
                Yeah, Zalman is top notch. I have one of their coolers on my X800XT-PE :D

Comment

I have one of their VGA coolers on my 6600GT as well :D
                  Love the things. Dropped my GPU's temps like 12C (because the 600GT has a really craptacular stock hs)
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

for my x800xl, I went w/ a Arctic Silencer 5...

have heard nothing but good things about it - one of the nice things about it is that it exhausts out an adjacent PCI slot, so the GPU heat doesn't contribute to case temps:

Comment

i'm decked out in zalman stuff. i have their cnps7000alcu cpu cooler, their vf700cu vga cooler and zm2 hdd cooler/noise reducer.

if you want to oc it and keep it cool, i'd go with the cnps7700. the 9500 can be a little frightening with the weight and all. the 7700 is a decent amount lighter, but still exceeds the max weight in the retention clip by a longshot.

Comment

So, I finally put my money where JMJ's mouth is (shut up) and got an XP-90... I installed it last night, and... DAMN! what a huge difference..

With the $12 POS heat-sink I was using 'temporarily', I was still able to OC my P4 2.8 (D1 stepping) to a hair over 3.2GHz... (FSB running at 229MHz... with a multiplier locked at x14). Anything over this and primes wouldn't run for more than 30 mins... Also - when running primes with this configuration, my CPU temp would hover around 60*C.. with ambient around 38-40*C.

(One thing I was pleased to find out was that my bargain-basment DDR400 RAM (256MBx4) ran fine at this speed with a 1:1 ratio... so instead of running at (200x4) 800MHz it was running at (229x4) 916MHz!

Anyway - So last night I installed the XP-90. Installation was a breeze - took all of 15 minutes. What a huge difference... The first thing I did was to check temperatures using those same settings.. (3.2GHz, 1:1 RAM clock). I was shocked at the results: At full load and only 65% CPU fan, the core now stays AT AMBIENT!!! :row__635: I'll say that again - the core stays at ambient!!

So I after itteratively clocking up the speed, I was able to get the core to pass primes with a FSB of 238x14= 3.33GHz (it's "only" 300MHz increase, but that's a 10% increase none the less). What's really great is that I'm now OC'ing 'responsibly' since the CPU never breaks 45*C - when before I was regularly exceeding 60*C. (Okay.. mostly responsibly.. I am running the core at 1.6V ;) )

One thing this let me find is the limits of my RAM... previously, the CPU would flake out and be the bottle neck - now it's RAM: even with upping the DDR voltage to 1.65 (from 1.55) - I can "only" get RAM to run 100% reliably at a FSB of 236 = 944MHz. (In primes there's different tests, one that uses a lot of ram and one that runs out of L2... if it passes running from L2, it's RAM that's the problem.. if it fails both, it's the CPU speed)

It seems obvious that B is better, but I'm curious to see what the benchmarks say anyway.

A) FSB=238MHz - 3.33GHz CPU - 761.6MHz RAM (4:5 RAM ratio)

B) FSB=236MHz - 3.30GHz CPU - 944.0MHz RAM (1:1 RAM ratio)

I'm also curious how tweaking the RAM timings will affect things... right now it's manually set to 3-3-3-5 (burst length 8).

Finally - if you're not using it now, I HIGHLY recommend this free application called SpeedFan!! It monitors the temperatures in your system and automatically adjusts fan-speeds appropriately. You pick which temperatures affect which fans. (I just have it setup to try and keep the CPU temp @ 42*C... I have it step the heat-sink fan up/down in 10% increments between 10% and 65% ... since 65% is the most I ever need now w/ the XP-90)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X