Memory Limits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Limits

Ok...I admit to being over my head...but I figure someone here can help me out.

Somewhere in my internet reading, I read that running Windows XP (NOT the 64 bit version) meant that the CPU was unable to use more than 3.5 gig of RAM. Is this correct or some forum poster's misinformation? Is there any particular advantage of having more than 2 gig of RAM?

Related question: if I were to build a new system (Windows...no Linux, pls), is the 64 bit version of Windows to be preferred over the 32 bit? I seem to recall reading about driver issues, especially for games, with the 64 bit version.

What's the schedule on MS Vista?
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Memory Limits

I'd wait until Vista is out before switching to the 64-bit platform. The x64 XP was kinda just thrown together quickly, whereas Vista has been in development for years. Vista will probably be out this fall.

Current typical hardware (your motherboard) will only support a max of 4 gigs of RAM. Check your motherboard documentation. It'll state what it can handle. If your primary concern is gaming performance, going above 2 gigs will yield you no benefits.
    Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by beep
      Somewhere in my internet reading, I read that running Windows XP (NOT the 64 bit version) meant that the CPU was unable to use more than 3.5 gig of RAM. Is this correct or some forum poster's misinformation? Is there any particular advantage of having more than 2 gig of RAM?
      The limit is 4gb ram, and XP can use it all. More RAM=more processes, done faster, since the OS will use excess RAM instead of the paging file.

Related question: if I were to build a new system (Windows...no Linux, pls), is the 64 bit version of Windows to be preferred over the 32 bit? I seem to recall reading about driver issues, especially for games, with the 64 bit version.
      Don't bother, there really are few games that take advantage of the 64 bit architecture. XP 64 runs both 32bit and 64bit programs though. Drivers are a real PITA for XP64.

What's the schedule on MS Vista?
      They are now saying y/e 2006. Seems a little rushed to me, but they keep scaling back what they are delivering, so it's doable.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        The limit is 4gb ram, and XP can use it all. More RAM=more processes, done faster, since the OS will use excess RAM instead of the paging file.

Don't bother, there really are few games that take advantage of the 64 bit architecture. XP 64 runs both 32bit and 64bit programs though. Drivers are a real PITA for XP64.

They are now saying y/e 2006. Seems a little rushed to me, but they keep scaling back what they are delivering, so it's doable.

Yup!!

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X