AGP GFX card prob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP GFX card prob

Hey guys. I had a question about my friends gfx card. I helped him install a 6600gt agp card to his system and it worked fine for about a week, but then just stopped. The monitor would just go to power-save mode and not respond. After restarting, it would get to the windows load screen, but just before windows log-in it would revert back to power save. This monitor does work when the card is uninstalled, but I'm wondering, what would cause the card to not work after a week? He has ample power (500w ps) and I can hear the fans spinning on the HS. Any thoughts?

Specs (from what I can remember)

Athlon 2600+
    512mb RAM
    500w psu
    Can't remember what mobo he has.

I also tried disabling the onboard video through windows AND BIOS to no avail. same symptoms
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: AGP GFX card prob

Can you get into safe mode? Assuming the card is still good, it might very well be that the drivers are fubar for whatever reason and need to be reinstalled. Safe mode if you can, or VGA mode can be used to reinstall the drivers or reset the screen resolution (if the screen resolution is less than 800x, windows XP won't run.)

It's also possible that the card was just faulty. I had to return my brand new BFG 6600GT a week after I got it because one of the chipsets crapped out.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I didn't think to try to get into safe mode, however, upon installation the first time, I did update the drivers and it worked fine. I'll try to get into safe mode the next time I cruise to his house. He's more noob about PC's than I am so telling him what to do over the phone won't work. Aside from safe mode, any other thoughts?
      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

If you've already ruled out the monitor, try to see if the card will work in another machine if you have one available.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

VGA mode should solve it, if the card is good.. I've somehow set the refresh rate out of a monitor's range (or someone else working on the machine did) and had similar symptoms.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

How do I switch to VGA mode? He has a CRT monitor. Does he need an adapter or something?
            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

In windows XP VGA mode is one of the options in the same list as safe mode. Bypasses your video settings so you can go back in and reset the screen resolution, refresh rate, etc.

Comment

Have you updated your Bios? I had a very similar problem and found by flashing to a new revision with my fx card installed sorted out the blackouts.

Also was the PC running with onboard FX before the update? As this may be a jumper issue.
                [defense]

Comment

i didn't try updating the BIOS as my friend doesn't have the paperwork for the PC anymore and I'm not sure what mobo he has. I'll try getting into safe mode as well as mess around w/the VGA mode the necxt chance I get (which won't be till later this wk at the earliest). Thanks guys.
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

You can download CPUZ and it will tell you everything inside the case Mobo, Cpu, Ram... Then you can go to the Mobo manufacturer and check for drivers and bios.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good idea, thanks. He's got dial-up so I'll tell him to start downloading it today lol
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

This absolutely sounds like a refresh/resolution rate issue. It isn't a problem with the hardware of the video card because you can see your post screen (the BIOS information). Your screen doesn't go black until Windows loads drivers, which tells me it is a refresh/resolution rate issue. And if the drivers worked in the past, there is no reason they'd all of a sudden stop working. The chances of some 3rd party software installation causing issues with installed video drivers is hard to imagine and never happened in my career.

First thing I'd try is to constantly keep hitting F8 right after your BIOS information is done showing (but right before the Windows load screen appears). This will bring up the Windows Bootup options. Within these options, you'll want to select VGA mode as Perry suggested. Once Windows loads (and your screen shouldn't go black..if it does, this isn't your problem) go to your display properties and change the resolution to something like 1024 x 768. Then go to advanced options and select the Monitor tab. Here you'll want to change the refresh rate to 60Hz. Once you get the system up and running, then we can talk about what is the best resolution/refresh rate your friend's monitor can support.

This is the easiest, simpliest resolution to solve your problem and i bet 95% that it is your problem. I'd give it a try before anything else.
                        Telorn

Comment

Hey thanks Telorn. I'll give that a go before gutting his POS PC lol. He's bringing it over tomorrow so I'll report back later in the weekend.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

OK. So I try hooking my friends tower to my lcd monitor and I get the same symptoms. It POSTS, then does the windows load, then stops displaying when windows login is about to come up. So I restart, and I check to see if I can get into safe mode. Safe mode works. Next I try to go into VGA mode, and that works too. However, when I follow Telorn's steps to change the resolution and refresh rate, I run into another problem. a) I can't change the resolution. It defaults to 640x480 or something like that and I can't change it w/the little slider thing. The slider won't move, but the "apply" button becomes selectable. When I hit the apply button, it goes back into the power save mode, and won't actually apply anything. When I restart, teh symptoms start all over again. b) The refresh rate is set at 60hz already. c) I go into device manager and it recognizes the nvidia 6600gt and says it's working properly.
                            Sorry about such a long post, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. This is really P'ing me off. My last resort is to flash the BIOS, but I've never done this before w/o flashing w/a windows utility. Thanks again for any help.
                            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

In safe mode, go in to device manager and uninstall the monitor and video card, then reboot. Any difference?
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed