2 cpus connecting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 cpus connecting

Ok, i have sold my house and moving in with my parents til we find a house we like

My problem is this

My sister has a laptop which she is connected to a BT internet router i believe 2mb, she has tried wifi but always has a weak signal so she is connected thru a usb all time

How do i go about connecting my computer to the phone line

Ie do i run a seperate lead from the phone point via the filter?

Do i network the 2 cpus together. How?

What would be the best and easiest solution would you reckon

Thanks in advance

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: 2 cpus connecting

That's a mouthful.

Originally posted by Rock
    My sister has a laptop which she is connected to a BT internet router i believe 2mb, she has tried wifi but always has a weak signal so she is connected thru a usb all time
    When you say she's connected through USB, do you mean the USB port in the back of the DSL modem (which is the Internet connection I assume you have)?

How do i go about connecting my computer to the phone line
    If she's directly connected to the DSL modem, then you're going to need to put some form of router in between it and the rest of your PCs.

Ie do i run a seperate lead from the phone point via the filter?
    No, you can only have one DSL modem conected to a DSL line at a time.

Do i network the 2 cpus together. How?
    What would be the best and easiest solution would you reckon
    Buy a Wireless broadband router. Then connect through the Ethernet ports to connect multiple PCs to the Internet.

Comment

And in all likelyhood you'll need to find out what the MAC address of the laptop's network card is and clone it to the router so the ISP thinks that the router is the laptop.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

So i wireless router is the thing to get, and i suppose enough cables to go from 1 room to another?

Sounds way to simple for my liking. lol

Comment

Well, you don't *need* a wireless router, any router will do you. Just that with a laptop most people prefer to have the wireless option.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Personally i wouldn't go for the wireless option if you can trail RJ45 cable round the house (neatly so as not to p off anyone :)), if you intend on playing a lot of online gaming then the better choice is the one that will suffer the least packet loss and that is the network cable into the LAN socket
            I use a BT router that has ethernet and usbII on it, does your sisters router have both?
            If not, you can get another router with 2 ports and then just call up BT with your i.p address and have both on the connection.
            Just a suggestion :D

Comment

BTW, I love your avatar :D Is that your SBT?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                And in all likelyhood you'll need to find out what the MAC address of the laptop's network card is and clone it to the router so the ISP thinks that the router is the laptop.
                you dont really have to do that on UK ISP's, they dont seem to care that you share it. Afterall, the MAC address is in the modem, not her laptop :)
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                  Personally i wouldn't go for the wireless option if you can trail RJ45 cable round the house (neatly so as not to p off anyone :)), if you intend on playing a lot of online gaming then the better choice is the one that will suffer the least packet loss and that is the network cable into the LAN socket
                  I use a BT router that has ethernet and usbII on it, does your sisters router have both?
                  If not, you can get another router with 2 ports and then just call up BT with your i.p address and have both on the connection.
                  Just a suggestion :D

I believe she has, she has a usb csble for her connnecton to the router, also she has a blue earthnet cable i believe as well.

Will have to look when im there next to make sure

He was my dog but he died, I have 2 other sbts though, keep meaning to change the avatar to 1 of "Hippo" if you see pics you will understand

Comment

If she is using the usb, you can take the ethernet and plug it into your machine, it may work straight off or you may have to get your sis to call BT and give them the I.P of your machine and away you go.

He was a stunning boy. My 2 died about 2 n half years ago and i now have 2 more, will post some pics soon, maybe start a pets pics thread.

Comment

He was a stunning boy. My 2 died about 2 n half years ago and i now have 2 more, will post some pics soon, maybe start a pets pics thread.[/QUOTE]

Lol, yeah!

I will post some to.

Do you show your dogs or no?

Comment

No and havn't done that for many years. When i got my first one she was the perfect height and did a few shows with her best being 3rd, but now i dont have time and out of my 2 at the moment, 1 is too stupid and the other is too big by Kennel Club standards!
                        I have to go to intercontinental Kennel Club shows where they can do pulling and stuff.
                        I'l post some pics soon, just gotta reduce them before postin :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X