Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless router choosing...which one?

Hey,

Just seeing if anyone has got any good recommendations for a wireless router. Ill be connecting it to my pc via wire and the adsl socket and a laptop will be using the wireless features.

Is there certain speeds i should look for and has anyone got any suggestions for a good one that wont conflict with my gaming :) ?

Thanks

Re: Wireless router choosing...which one?

If your laptop has a internal Wi-Fi then that will drive the technology that you will get for the router. Go with the fastest that your laptop will support.

If it doesn't have an internal card then you may want to look at the Pre-N stuff. I've never personally used them but my father in law loves his. He is not a gamer though so I don't know how well it works with games.

I have had pretty good luck with the el-cheapo Linksys routers you can find anywhere.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Linksys WRT54G.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
        Linksys WRT54G.
        I would go for the Linksys WRT54G as well.

You will also want to make sure your laptop can use WPA encryption (NOT WEP) to keep your traffic and internal network safe. I use a WRT54G at home along with a Linksys Wireless Range Expander (WRE54G) to boost the signal throughout my house and outside by the pool.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i would recommend that one too. I have that one and its real easy to config and install. And those range extendors are nice too.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Netgear WGR614 has served me well and the wireless has good range and is rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
              Netgear WGR614 has served me well and the wireless has good range and is rock solid.
              Netgear used to have much faster processing capabilities and was better with heavy local network utilization than Linksys. But I got pissed at Netgear because of the lack of interoperability with their VPN routers with VPN clients like SSH Sentinel. I refused to pay the $40 for their proprietary VPN software so I ended up switching to Linksys out of spite.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Linksys.

For which model -- AND WHICH SERIAL NUMBER (yes, serial number), spend some real time READING: Autopsy: Linksys WRT54G/GS Hardware Versions Under the Knife.
                Originally posted by linksysinfo.org
                -for All round performance and total recommendations: WRT54G v2.0-v4.0 / WRT54GS v1.0-v4.0
                The linksysinfo.org site is very helpful, but that page there is crazy goodness if you're trying to figure out which router to purchase.

The page gives serial numbers (first four chars) of routers based on how much system memory and other guts they have, as Linksys markets several distinct devices (varying RAM/boards/chipsets) under the SAME MODEL NUMBER.

After studying the above site/page, I purchased a WRT54GS v3.0 and modded it with third-party BusyBox (Linux) firmware (v4.70.6 - HyperWRT 2.1b1 + Thibor11 [Dec 20 2005]), which gives me many more features than Linksys' stock offering, including Static DHCP on the LAN, full cron support (which I use to reboot the router every night), remote syslog, SSL remote access, etc (many things, actually, most of which I actually take value from).

The router is rock-solid, and my wife and I use the hell out of it. Yes, reading all the crap above, then venturing into their forums and linked sites to educate myself about the third-party firmwares (purely optional, of course) was a lot of effort, but I'm about as pleased as a fella can be with a router.
                Last edited by CingularDuality; 09-28-2006, 12:38 PM.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                  I refused to pay the $40 for their proprietary VPN software so I ended up switching to Linksys out of spite.
                  I had the exact router DigitalAssassin referenced in his post before I abandoned it and began what's described in my post above.

NetGear's WGR614 made VPN'ing into my office impossible. Logic suggests it was technically SOMEHOW possible, but I have, between home and work, THE SIMPLEST VPN situation you can have, and it was still unable to meet my needs.

Also, in case it becomes relevant, do not purchase NetGear's WG111 USB adapter. It drops connections on me anytime I connect to my home network/PC from afar. If I'm sitting at home, on my home PC, the adapter does great. If I'm hitting the adapter from the outside in, it's thoroughly unacceptable. I don't understand it. I've resorted to using my onboard NIC for inbound connections (when I VNC to my home machine from work, typically). The WG111 does fine for outbound connections (gaming, FTP, etc), but it just.. dies... with inbound stuff (if anyone knows what would cause such behavior, I'm most curious).

I'm just one guy, but, from what I've heard and experienced, you'll be happy with Linksys. Today, I VPN to work effortlessly and flawlessly, every time, and using my network, whether I'm going out or coming in, is similarly pleasant. Just do yourself a favor -- read that above site and decide for yourself how much of it will drive your purchase decisions / device configurations.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks all, ill go with the Linksys WRT54G as suggested. Ill prob pick it up tomorrow, again thanks for all the help.

Wyzcrak your hand must hurt :P, thanks for taking the time to post those links and write that; really appreciated.

Comment

Interesting Wyzcrak. I picked up the WGR614 about a year ago simply because CompUSA had a package deal where I got the router and a PCMCIA card for $20 after rebates.

I haven't had any problems and I VPN into work via a Cisco VPN client quite frequently. I did notice the WGR614 is up to like version 5 or 6. Mine is a v4 model. I wonder if the earlier versions had VPN problems resolved in later versions?

Comment

Mine was v6 and was acquired in a similar CompUSA deal.

Comment

Linksys is the way to go, good reliable, and the firmware for the WRT54G is opensource so you can find other firmwares out there that add on more functionality. One is to up the power output to the wireless so you get better connections farther away. I did this to mine and the reliability of the network went way up at a distance, just be warned if you use a 2.4 GHz phone in the same room the phone will start to get a little staticy not to bad but it may annoy some people.

I have heard that the first version (1.0) of the WRT54G actually used a mini-PCI wireless card, and that you can pick those routers up for cheap on eBay for a cheap way to add internal wireless to your laptops.
                          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

This is the one I want to replace my WRT54G. Runs the same firmwares, but has 2 USB ports built in.. Lots of storage for the little router :)
                            Battlefield Admin() ()
                            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                              Linksys WRT54G.
                              I'll second that. Been rock stable for me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X