Hosting games through routers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting games through routers?

I had no problems hosting games like SWAT4 or any other on my system with a broadband cable connection via cable modem... but then I got one of those home network wireless routers, to give my laptop and my kids computer a connection to the interent.

It installed fine and works great, everyone happy... NOT...

Since I have put up my home wireless network I am unable to host any computer games, (which really sucks since we lost our TG SWAT 4 server, my favorite game, and the only way to get any SWAT multiplayer action is to host the game myself.)

Now I'm not smart, but I ain't stupid either (except to spell either, lol)

I know the ports to SWAT 4 and opened them in the broadband connection/router system config utility, still no luck... I then created a virtual DMZ, which opens up everything, and still no luck...

I know I have the router, windows firewall, and nortans firewall, but I'm pretty sure I disabled them when I went to host.

Anyone have any suggustions or ideas?

I saw this software at Best Buy that supposely monitors and lets you easily control your home networks file sharing, printer use, ect ect... anyone know if theres a software that helps slow people like me open ports and disables firewalls to host PC games? would be nice to have an idiot proof program like that.

anyway, any help... thx in advance.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Hosting games through routers?

Great question magnum, i actually was wondering this the other day.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

On your router you have to set up port forwarding to the computer that you are hosting the server on, or an even easier way is to set the server in the DMZ (outside of the firewall that the router has completely and all ports are able to send and recieve internet traffic). There is a web link floating around some of the forums talking about this problem.
      -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I've done both... my games still are not seen, I think I have a hidden firewall or something.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

go to the connection that you use for network traffic open up the properties and go to firewall, from there go and disable the windows firewall. As for disabling Nortons I don't know. unistall it?
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

Check if your router is there. It has instructions for many games and what ports to forward. SWAT 4 isn't on there but there should be a default guide to opening ports on your router. Another thing that may be a problem is turning on DMZ and trying to forward a port. For TOCA2 I can't have DMZ on when I forward the game's ports. If I turn off DMZ and forward the ports, it works fine.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X