Verizon FiOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon FiOS

We got a letter in the mail the other day about FiOS from Verizon. It's now available in my neighborhood, and is almost $20 cheaper than Comcast.. Does anyone know about this service?

Iím mainly wondering about reliability, speed, and most importantly, blocked ports by Verizon. Will other companies be offering in my area?

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome...netForHome.asp

Thanks.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Verizon FiOS

From what I know it is Verizon's fiber optic internet service. It runs fiber optics to your house if I recall. I would recommend it. As soon as it is out in my city I will probably jump over from cable.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

They offer speeds faster than comcast for cheaper, I would get it if they were offering it near me. As for reliability I do not know, but I do know that if you loose power your internet is still up because the modem/router thingy has a battery backup unit built in.
      -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I hope to switch to it as soon as I can. The speed is ridiculous, and the price is better than competitors at that range.

One of my coworkers was part of the pilot test. I hated her secretly for quite some time.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I have the 15/2 package and it is very fast. I get 14800/1890 all the time. There may be a reliability problem (I blame PPPoE). For most of the time it runs great but I am getting more disconnects in games then i had before - IE I may get one or two in a night - this is more then I used to get). I used to run SPeakEasy DSL and I had a rock solid line (less then 1K errors in 4 years - the tech couldn't believe it when I called in for help (it turned out to be the home router).

Bob

Comment

I hate you. /me wants fios so bad i'd kill a little bunny for it. from what i hear - they offer speeds that are so insane you just cant imagine it.
            |TG|JackMac4

Comment

Im going to go ahead and get this I guess. I'll let everyone know what I think.... If I dont fly past the page.. haha
              birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Even though this thread is old, I thought I would bump it up to see if anyone has had any more experience with Verizon FIOS.

I just ordered it today. 15/2 for $44.95 a month replacing my 4/400 for roughly the same price.

Not to late to cancel, so I wanted to see what people who have it think of it.

Any problems with the ActionTec router, port blocking, port forwarding, general gaming or internet issues. I use my connection primarily for gaming, newsgroups, bittorrent and other general internet stuff. Oh yeah, my wife connects to work through a VPN and we both use Outlook Web Access.

Any input is appreciated.

KZ17
                [combat]

Comment

Originally posted by KestrelZ17 View Post
                  Even though this thread is old, I thought I would bump it up to see if anyone has had any more experience with Verizon FIOS.

I just ordered it today. 15/2 for $44.95 a month replacing my 4/400 for roughly the same price.

Not to late to cancel, so I wanted to see what people who have it think of it.

Any problems with the ActionTec router, port blocking, port forwarding, general gaming or internet issues. I use my connection primarily for gaming, newsgroups, bittorrent and other general internet stuff. Oh yeah, my wife connects to work through a VPN and we both use Outlook Web Access.

Any input is appreciated.

KZ17
                  My experience is second hand, but it's fairly complete. A co-worker of mine was one of the first homes to get FiOS.

From what I understand, the setup is pretty massive, but once complete (and her initial "This is Verizon's first time setting this up EVER" kinks worked out), the service has been rocksteady. She's no gamer or anything, though, so if there's a significant amount of lag, she'd likely not notice.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I hate you all... Verizon is no where near my area, and the best i can get is a really slow 256k dsl connection via Fontier (The worst ISP ever).

Plus it doesnt work with vonage (Blocked it somehow i believe) and I really wana use it (Cheaper/better than currnet phone company).
                    Oyee

Comment

Thanks Pokerface. Hopefully it will work out for me too. Have really only heard good things. Time will tell.
                      [combat]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X