6800GS/6800GT, what the difference?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800GS/6800GT, what the difference?

I am looking to get a new 6800 to replace my 6200 I have at the moment, which gets me lousy frame rates in BF2. I am looking around and there are differnt types of 6800s and I don't know what to get, I am looking to spend around 100-150, the less the better :P

What would I need to get high frame rates in BF2 at medium/high settings?
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: 6800GS/6800GT, what the difference?

I know you state you want a 6800 but would you consider one of these? http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ategory_id=257
    They are superb value for money and come with 16 pipelines unlocked and still retain the warranty :).
    I myself have bought one and dont think you will find a card where you will get more bang for your buck.

Comment

Well it may be a little while until I get the money avaliable to me, so I don't know if that offer will still be avaliable...
      |TG| Lorian

Comment

Not much difference between the 2. The GT has a bit more bandwidth, while the GS can have a bit more speed. Pretty equal in the end though.

Comment

If you are UK based you will probably have to pay around £30 more for the 6800GS. I came to the conclusion that the GTO2 was the best compromise for price. You will have to decide whether it is worth the extra £s.

Comment

What is the GTO2?
            |TG| Lorian

Comment

ur using pci-eor agp?

the x800 GTO2 is a pci-e only card that comes with vpu399/mem500 that comes defualt with 12 pipes. You can get a GTO2 that has 16 pipes out of the box or get a 12 pipe one and unlock to 16

u can unlock the 6800GS too but its better to get a better fan/heat sink also.I hear theres artifacts

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
              Delta MICS
              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

X800GTO Review

6800GS Review

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                  I know you state you want a 6800 but would you consider one of these? http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ategory_id=257
                  They are superb value for money and come with 16 pipelines unlocked and still retain the warranty :).
                  I myself have bought one and dont think you will find a card where you will get more bang for your buck.
                  if hes mainly playing BF2 id recommend a Nvidia card, since ATI isnt too great with BF2....ive heard.
                  From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by slugslinger
                    ur using pci-eor agp?

the x800 GTO2 is a pci-e only card that comes with vpu399/mem500 that comes defualt with 12 pipes. You can get a GTO2 that has 16 pipes out of the box or get a 12 pipe one and unlock to 16

u can unlock the 6800GS too but its better to get a better fan/heat sink also.I hear theres artifacts
                    you cant unlock the 6800gs, its a NV42 chip that only have 12pipelines and 5 vertex shaders, none are disabled. IE there isnt any spare pipelines there.

a 6800gt is a Nv40 chip that has 16pipelines (4 disabled for the GT, so 12) and 6 vertex. So on a GT you can renabled 4 pipelines to make a 6800ultra ;)

and another thing, the 6800gs is faster on PCIexpress, the 6800gs AGP is slightly slower mhz wise and memory speed wise.
                    From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                      if hes mainly playing BF2 id recommend a Nvidia card, since ATI isnt too great with BF2....ive heard.
                      Dont believe that ! I have no problems with an X800 SE and that has only 10 pipelines (i think), The GTO2 has 16 unlocked and flies through BF2 no problems
                      Just ask JimmyTwoHands :D

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag

a 6800gt is a Nv40 chip that has 16pipelines (4 disabled for the GT, so 12) and 6 vertex. So on a GT you can renabled 4 pipelines to make a 6800ultra ;)
                        Do you know where I can find instructions on how to do this? I own a 6800GT.
                        Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Telorn
                          Do you know where I can find instructions on how to do this? I own a 6800GT.
                          You can't. A 6800GT is the same as the ultra - clock speeds are the difference.

6800 Ultra: 16/16/32 400/550 (6vs)
                          6800 GT : 16/16/32 350/500 (6vs)

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/chipcomp/

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind
                            You can't. A 6800GT is the same as the ultra - clock speeds are the difference.

6800 Ultra: 16/16/32 400/550 (6vs)
                            6800 GT : 16/16/32 350/500 (6vs)

http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/chipcomp/
                            ah yes, sorry its the 6800 thats 12pipelines! sorry for the misinformation! :(
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

Forgot id posted in this thread. MY GTO2 runs BF2 at a consistent 50+ FPS with a mixture of high and medium settings. I can max it all out and still run good framerates but do experience some occasions when there is a drop during particularly intense action. If you want the latest cutting edge generation go for the 7800. OTherwise its a cin flip between the 6800 and the x800GTO2 in my opinion. The GTO2 is pretty close in spec and was cheaper and has the potenetial to be OCed alot. Comes down to budget and ATI/Nvidia preference really. Its going to be a big step up anyway so a lot of this is probably jsut nit picking.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X