New Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hardware

Well, I decided that I need a hardware upgrade for all the next gen games coming out this year, but I'm not really sure what to get in terms of brand and model.

Right now I have a 2.8Ghz P4 /w HT processor, 512MB DDR2 RAM, a radeon x300 (PCIe) 128MB, and integrated sound. I am defenitely looking to upgrade the RAM and vid card to hopefully an XFX 6800 GS and add on a gig of RAM. What I don't understand is what the PC part of the RAM means eg. PC4200, PC 3200, etc... What would your reccomendations be for upgrades be? I am trying to get the best value for my money here.
    Roses are red, Violets are blue. In Soviet Russia, Poem writes you!

Re: New Hardware

Hi Hammerhead,

Sounds like your on the right path...those ram numbers are just how the different speeds of ram are rated..I would just stick with the same type of ram that you currently have... If you don't know what the speed of the ram you currently have is you can download something like Everest and it will tell you what you have...actually it will give you alot of info about your system...

It seems the home edition of Everest has been discontinued...I'm sure if you Google it you'll find a version for dowload..it's free.

As far as video card the 6800GS is pretty good..it's what I have and I really like it. But nVidia is supposed to be coming out with new cards next week. So you might want to wait and see if any of the 7800 cards come down in price. Also, if you get a higher end video card your power supply might have to be upgraded...Make sure you check that out too.

Good luck!!

Chappie

Comment

hammerhead, what motherboard do you have, so we can figure out what ram is best and if you can dual channel it?

Comment

Well, it says that it is Dual DDR2 Memory, if that means anything to you. I can't find the power supply rating though.

Comment

Hammer,

Did you build your system?? If not then who did? HP..Dell?? that might give us a clue as to that power supply..

Here's a link to download Everest...: http://www.utilidades-utiles.com/Dow...s-Everest.html

cya,

Chappie

Comment

Ive got a feeling that is a dell. My rig came from them with similar specs. If its dell then the power supply should not be too much of an issue. When i was researching for my upgrade the consensus seemed to be that the dell PSUs were underated and the 350W units could handle more. A lot of people are running 7800s on the stock PSU without probs. My standard psu handles an x800GTO2 without a hitch.

I had an x300 card myself and moving to a a 6800GS will be an absolutlely huge step up for you, you will see a lot of improvement. I was considering that card myself but i went for the GTO2 in the end as it was considerably cheaper. With only 512mb of RAM that definietly needs updating but ill let the other boffins give you some advice on the types you need. Everest is certainly a good tip.

Then again my speculation that it is a dell could be completely off base.

Comment

Ok, It's a Dell 4700, discontinued model. I have the text report of Everest, though the text file is too big to upload:( Anyone know a good file hosting site?

Comment

Hey Hammer,

To be sure of your memory type just open Everest and click on "Summary"..then look under the motherboad heading...next to "system memory" it should tell you your memory type..including the speed of the memory.. Just buy some decent memory rated at that same speed.

Corsair is good, but there are other good brands as well.

Good luck.

Chappie

Comment

4700, I think thats what I have. If it is, it's PC3200.
                  |TG| aschmack

Comment

I think a better memory option for you over Corsair is Aeneon from Infineon. You don't appear to be a huge overclocker and Aeneon is an excellent 'budget' brand which will give you the performance you need.

This is if your RAM is DDR2 like you said. Looking at your processor, though, I doubt you have DDR2 memory. So, nevermind, ignore my suggestion.
                    Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X