Everyone needs a dual core processor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone needs a dual core processor

I am sitting here converting all of my WMA lossless files so they can go on my Zen Vision M, encoding a DVD so I can transfer it later, encoding a movie file into a format the Zen accepts, and while I encode sending some music pictures, and videos to the Zen vision. My computer isn't even breaking a sweat.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Everyone needs a dual core processor

LOL.. right on.. I haven't seen much benefit yet - I switched mine to a Dual on Saturday.
    sigpic

Comment

My next upgrade will be dual-core (unless my workmate ends up selling me his FX-55 for cheap)
      I'm kinda waiting for the next batch to come out so the prices will drop.
      I really like the looks of the FX-60 but I aint droppin no grand on a CPU... at least not atm.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

^^^Get a Socket 939 Opteron and OC it to 2.6Ghz. You can also get an X2 4800+ and OC it to the 2.6Ghz,

I recommend the Opteron though. My damn 4800+ isn't stable past 2.55Ghz. =\
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

You should try playing BF2 while encoding. :)
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

^^^^Perhaps I should consider going dual CPU for Vista. Actaully I did with CSS it worked out pretty well. I still knew I was doing something else there was about a 20FPS preformace hit but I was still above 60FPS.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

its definatley worth it then? ive been dropping money on the single core solutions still as the dual core support in games hasnt really got there yet, but after reading this....

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Well there still isn't any dual core support in games. You're not doing yourself any favors if all you use the computer for is gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                  Well there still isn't any dual core support in games. You're not doing yourself any favors if all you use the computer for is gaming.
                  I don't think your first statement, which is true, infers the second statement.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I believe Falcon 4: Allied Force, Quake 4 and Call Of Duty 2 are some of the games that have dual core support. We should expect to see more in the next couple of years. Even if there aren't many multi-threaded games, you'll still see some benefit from running TS in the background or downloading the latest demo while playing.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

^^^^F.E.A.R. also supports dual core so does Oblivion and UT2k7.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Even for the games that support dual-core, the coding for it is very weak and it is not used nowhere near it's potential. It can even cause instability within the game. Dual-cores will be great in the future, but right now single core's always out perform dual core in games...even games that support dual-core.

And with Vista people will enjoy the same benefits as a dual core when encoding and multitasking as the thread creator mentioned with a single core. Vista will automatically place priorities for programs so things like encoding or unzipping a file will not lock down your system while you want to browse the web or something, without having to start the program with 'low priority'. So single core will act the same as dual with Vista, but it'll obviously take longer to encode, as the OS will just take the CPU it needs to run other tasks efficiently.

But with XP it is annoying to go to my task manager to lower the priority of my encoding software just so I can browse the web or something in a timely manner. I'm just too lazy to create a .bat file that would start the program in low for me :)
                        Telorn

Comment

woot, i am actually thinking of purchasing an AMD 4600+ 939 pin for my comp ( mb is asus a8v deluxe, i am 90% sure it will work, u guys wanna bump that last 10% for me)