Setting up FireFox/Favorite Extensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up FireFox/Favorite Extensions

In anticipation of a script that Wyzcrak is creating, I've downloaded and installed FireFox.

I need some help setting it up, though.

How do you get it to block popups? It doesn't seem to block any...

How do you get the Google Search to open the results in a new window or tab?

How do I get it to load pages faster? It takes about a full second to display a TG forums page.

Are there other settings that I need to tweak to get pages to display properly? I'm finding lots and lots of little cosmetic glitches on lots of websites:

What other extensions are "must have" for you? I think Wyzcrak's extension will make the switch worth it, but I'd like to see as much added functionality as possible!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Setting up FireFox

Personally, I try to keep it clean and don't run many extensions but the few I do use are...

Forecastfox - It's nice having current and forecast weather load automatically into the status bar when I open FF.

Adblock Plus - Haven't really used it much but have read it's one of the best.

Anyone else have suggestions on a better ad blocker? Maybe I'm just not using it correctly...

Do tell...I assume Wyzcrak's extension is related to the icons he was looking for?

Comment

Blocking Pop-ups are under Tools>Options.

I use:

Fasterfox
      Reveal
      Fox Pager
      Mozilla Calendar
      Quicknote

As for glitches: it's a sad fact that many website developers do not use proper code.

Comment

BBCode
        Calculator
        Colorful tabs
        Flat Bookmark Editing
        Gmail Space
        Gmail Notifier
        PDF Download
        tab X
        IE Tab
        Media Player Connectivity
        Tabbrowser Preferences
        Fasterfox
        Download Manager Tweak
        Adblock Plus + Preload

Those are the ones I tend to use the most. Pop-ups are under Options.

Comment

Extension-wise, make sure you get Greasemonkey, as it's what makes Wyzcrak's scripts that you're anticipating go. :)

Running for me are:
          Fasterfox (network enhancer for faster loads)
          ForecastFox (weather info in my statusbar)
          IE View (right click to launch the page you're looking at in IE; useful for pages that are IE only for some reason)
          Autofill (automatically fill in ewb forms, ala Google's toolbar for IE)
          BugMeNot (helps get past compulsory registration)

I've a couple more running, but that's probably the pick of the litter there.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'll try...

It sounds like you haven't found the preferences dialog yet. Click on the Edit menu and you'll find it at the bottom.

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            How do you get it to block popups? It doesn't seem to block any...
            In Content, click the box to block popups.

You can also tweak what Javascript is allowed to do here. If you go to abusive sites, you might wan't to turn off the Javascript completely or limit it.
            How do you get the Google Search to open the results in a new window or tab?
            I'm not sure exactly what you are shooting for, but I'll describe what I do:
            1. Ctrl+T to open a new tab
            2. Search
            3. Middle click on all interesting results to open them in new tabs
            4. Scan through the new tabs too see your resulting pages, closing the ones which aren't good
            How do I get it to load pages faster? It takes about a full second to display a TG forums page.
            Get a faster connection? Make sure you have the graphics cached? There is no magic here.
            Are there other settings that I need to tweak to get pages to display properly? I'm finding lots and lots of little cosmetic glitches on lots of websites:
            No.
            What other extensions are "must have" for you? I think Wyzcrak's extension will make the switch worth it, but I'd like to see as much added functionality as possible!
            Adblock is fantastic if you must hit sites filled with advertising on a regular basis.

I also used to have one which was called "Open in IE" or something like that, for opening pages which are broken.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
              Anyone else have suggestions on a better ad blocker? Maybe I'm just not using it correctly...
              Adblock rocks! You need to manually edit the blocks for best results. Admittedly, it has been a long time since I used it.

Oh and I forgot to mention Greasemonkey. It can do anything. Too much to describe here.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                I'm not sure exactly what you are shooting for, but I'll describe what I do:
                1. Ctrl+T to open a new tab
                2. Search
                3. Middle click on all interesting results to open them in new tabs
                4. Scan through the new tabs too see your resulting pages, closing the ones which aren't good
                So I have to open a new tab first, there's no setting to get a search to automatically open a new tab, like with the Google Toolbar on IE?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cing, I don't prefer that setting, but I've heard of it being possible, even if you have to run an extension to do so.

I don't have time to find it at the moment, but don't feel like you're wasting your time if you search (Google, perhaps) yourself.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                    Adblock rocks! You need to manually edit the blocks for best results. Admittedly, it has been a long time since I used it.
                    Adblock Plus + Adblock Filterset.G Updater = win

I also like Tab Clicking Options.. I don't know what all it is capable of, but I use it so that links that open things new windows will be put in new tabs instead. Keep my browsing limited to just one window.

Wait. I lied. I use it so that double clicking on a tab closes it. The other is a normal Firefox setting.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

So I have to open a new tab first, there's no setting to get a search to automatically open a new tab, like with the Google Toolbar on IE?
                      There's a Google Toolbar for Firefox, and it is an option to open results in a new tab.

Oh, Alt+Enter does it for Firefox. Quick Google search led me in the right direction.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Also, here is the list of extensions I run. Please do educate yourself about any extension you decide to run yourself, as some of the extensions I run allow you to screw things up if you don't know what you're doing.

Aardvark 1.1 - Quickly clean up a page prior to printing. Also web developer tools.
                        Adblock Plus 0.6.1.1 - Ads were yesterday!
                        All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4 - Quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.
                        BBCodeXtra 0.2.5.4 - Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML commands to the context menu
                        BugMeNot 1.3 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
                        ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 - Advanced Eyedropper, ColorPicker, Page Zoomer and other colorful goodies.
                        Console² 0.3.3 - The next generation error console.
                        Disable Targets For Downloads 1.0.1 - Prevents download links opening a blank window.
                        Download Embedded 0.3 - Downloads all embedded objects on a webpage.
                        Download Manager Tweak 0.7.1 - A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
                        Download Sort 2.5.4 - Automatically save downloads to different directories.
                        Download Statusbar 0.9.4 - View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
                        Extended Statusbar 1.2.4 - A Statusbar with Speed, Percentage, Time and loaded size (like Opera's one)
                        Fasterfox 1.0.3 - Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.
                        FireBug 0.2.3 - It's not your Grandma's JavaScript Console.
                        FireFTP 0.90.1.1 - FTP Client for Mozilla Firefox.
                        Forecastfox Enhanced 0.8.5.2 - Get international weather forecasts and display it in any toolbar or statusbar with this highly customizable extension.
                        Gcache 0.2.4 - Displays a google cached version of the webpage.
                        Google Images Re-Linker 0.3 - Jumps directly to the full-size image on images.google.com.
                        Greasemonkey 0.6.4 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
                        IE View 1.2.7 - Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
                        ListZilla 0.7 - Outputs an alphabetical list of extensions to a text, vB code, or HTML file.
                        Live HTTP Headers 0.11 - View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing.
                        Platypus 0.64 - Dynamically create GreaseMonkey scripts.
                        ReloadEvery 1.5 - Reloads webpages every so many seconds or minutes
                        Restart Firefox 0.3 - Restart Firefox with ease
                        RiteOfTongue 0.3.3 - Right-click on typed text to get alternate spellings powered by Yahoo! Search.
                        SpellBound Development 0.9.8.20060108 - Adds spell checker support to web forms and extensions.
                        Table2Clipboard 0.0.2 - Allow to copy to clipboard the selected rows/columns from an HTML table
                        Talkback 1.5.0.1 - Submit a crash report to Mozilla.org.
                        Tamper Data 0.95 - View and modify HTTP/HTTPS headers etc. Track and time requests.
                        Tweak Network 1.1 - Tweak network settings.
                        undoclosetab 20051204 - Adds Undo Close Tab.
                        UrlParams 2.01.00 - Displays the websites get/post parameters in the sidebar.
                        View Cookies 1.5 - View cookies of the current web page.
                        View Rendered Source Chart 1.5.02 - Creates a Colorful Chart of a Webpage's Rendered Source
                        Web Developer 1.0.2 - Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
                        Window Resizer 0.5 - Resize your browser to various standard resolution sizes.
                        XPath Checker 0.4 - Try out XPath expressions on the current web page.
                        XPather 1.0.1 - Feature rich XPath generator, editor, inspector and simple extraction tool.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Cing I have a plugin that will help you out a lot. It is called tab mix plus, and one of the options it allows you to do is when you use the search bar at the top when you input your search item and hit enter it will open up a new tab for that search. If you have adblock installed I also suggest you install Adblock Filterset.G updater, it has a list of pages that are full of adds and stops them before you even add them to your adblock list.

My Installed Plugins:
                          Adblock
                          Tab Mix Plus
                          Adblock Filterset.G Updater
                          FireFTP
                          All-In-One Sidebar
                          Colorful Tabs
                          CuteMenus - Crystal SVG
                          Download Statusbar
                          DownThemAll!
                          Fasterfox
                          Forecastfox Enhanced
                          GooglePreview
                          HTML Validator
                          IE Tab
                          MR Tech Disable XPI Install Delay
                          Server Spy (quite fun for seeing what type of server is serving you)
                          ShowIP
                          User Agent Switcher (Switching to googlebot on some sites gets you more access)
                          Viamatic foXpose
                          Web Developer

Quite a few plugins but firefox launches as fast as ever.
                          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I'd say the only extension in that list from which I've never taken value is the FTP client. Cute idea, but I don't see the point.

Beyond that, I can say that every single one of those extensions adds value for me regularly, if not daily.

Comment

AH I love firefox. It's software that just works. This may help to speed up page loading. Firefox uses IP6 as default. It will make things a bit quicker to disable it. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...ozilla_firefox

Hope this helps!
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...