Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those considering jumping ship to Mac you may want to wait/reconsider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those considering jumping ship to Mac you may want to wait/reconsider?

Today Microsoft made an annoucement that will definately hurt the Mactel community. Vista won't support EFI until Longhorn Server. It will also not support EFI for 32bit processors.

The Core Duo (god i hate that name) is a 32bit processor. Macs aren't expected to have EM64T until Conroe based processors are out.

edited for clarity:

EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) is a new BIOS (Basic Input/Output system) basically. It has been developed by Intel and the only things that I know of that use it are the new intel Macs. This causes Windows XP to not boot on Intel Macs because Windows needs a BIOS. (Granted EFI is supposed to have a BIOS emulation mode.)

Windows Vista was expected to support this however it will not until the Longhorn Server edition.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: For those considering jumping ship to Mac you may want to wait/reconsider?

The only terms I understand in that post are these: "Microsoft," "Vista," "32bit processors," "Macs."
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The only real question we should be asking is, which person besides custom was actually considering jumping to mac? ;)
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I am looking the new Mactels, I like the looks and just the weight of it and the coolness factor. Microsoft has thrown in a wrench now that it won't support EFI, but I am sure some people will find or make a bootloader that will allow you to install Vista even though it doesn't support EFI officially.
        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

^^^^In theory once they get XP to work they can get Vista to work.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

This was not a surprise: just one more feature that Microsoft planned to include that has to be dumped to get Vista out the door.

Comment

I think the mac formula of doign things is now the same as the windows formula and so this means that from a hardware point of view that now that macs and PCs both use intel procs (the majority will in a couple of years unless AMD really does take over) then i think they will be suceptiple (spelling) to viruses, the only thing i ever liked about macs was the air-tight security. My theory is this security that is one of macs lesser known characteristics will disappear in a flood of new viruses because it now uses x86 arch. Please correct me if i'm wrong (and i might be lol).
              The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
              #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
              83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

^^^^Actually from what I hear exploits for OSX aren't really talked about. That is why we never hear about such a small number. I recall in a dailytech story a hacker said it is easy to tear OSX apart but no one does it because no one uses it.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                  This was not a surprise: just one more feature that Microsoft planned to include that has to be dumped to get Vista out the door.
                  Come again? When did they say they planned to include this? People assume all sorts of things, and you can't get mad at Microsoft for not living up to your spectacular pie-in-the-sky predictions, concieved in an idle afternoon of daydreaming while their software engineers work 12 hour days in order to fend off the ever encroaching horde of spyware and viruses that their users expect them to ward away despite the fact that if they included software to do that, they would get slapped by so many antitrust lawsuits that they'd end up back in the stone age with only a few crappy game consoles and Windows Media Player to show for their troubles.

Comment

^^^^^^I don't recall any solid info on it supporting EFI. Hell I am slightly worried about EFI. Will AMD be able to use it? It would be really dumb for MS having to support BIOS for AMD processors.

Only people made about this are the Mac guys. (And those that want EFI.)

Truth is I really don't see a point in it. It reminds me of BTX. For those that don't know BTX was a new motherboard form factor that Intel thought of. It hasn't really taken off since it was mainly a way for Intel to help keep temps down. Granted I do feel that this will replace BIOS. I just see it as an attempt to fix what is not broken.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Test-driving Linux on an Intel-based Macintosh

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/linux/

The elilo EFI boot loader, now at version 3.6:

http://elilo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/blosxom
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

What was that? Nobody uses macs? I seem to remember a post I made a little while back.......

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X