Video card overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card overheating

I finished building my computer and I started battlefield and right away I noticed artifacts. I tried 3dmark03 and got a really low score ( i think 5000)

I have an
    athlon 3700+
    1 gig ram pc 3200
    6600gt 128 mb agp

I ran a few temp monitor programs and I got different readings (one said 61 idle the other said 85 idle)...either way its still pretty hot and it climbs up even more in 3d applications. What do you guys suggest is the best way to low the temps? I was thinking of buying a 3rd party cooling device for it. Do you guys know of any programs with reliabe temps because rivatuner and SPEEDFAN gave 2 different readings. Thanks!

Re: Video card overheating

Get either NVTweak or CoolBits. They unlock the temp moniter in the Nvidia drivers. I have a 6600gt and mine idles at around 51. Dunno about the artifacting though, maybe you got a defective GPU. Your not overclocking right?

*Edit* I just noticed you said 3dmark03 not 05. Yea you should be getting around 10k in 03. Check all the connections and download the newest drivers. If it still doesn't work right, I would say return it.
    |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

My Leadtek 6600GT agp idles at 42C. I remember reading in one of the graphics card forums that some of the 6600GT AGPs were overheating. I don't remember the brand, because it must have been almost a year ago. I do remember people saying they had to send it back for a replacement. You'd think they'd have fixed that problem by now.

I use Everest Home Edition to read temps:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

EDIT: Your artifacting sounds like a bad GPU, either that or you forgot to plug in the extra power cord, or the cord you plugged in is overloaded already. Take your pick.

Comment

my BFG 6600GT was overheating/artifacting when I bought it. It had a faulty chip and I had to return it (turn around of about a week and a half through BFG, not too bad) I later bought a Zalman HSF for it, as the stock HS on those 6600GT's is among the worst I've ever seen on a VC.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Ditto DV's post, get Coolbits (try www.nvnews.net) and read the temp from there. Keep in mind that if you are seeing artifacts right off the bat with a new chip with no overclocking you probably have a bad chip.

Try of some games first, loop a few 3DMarks, and try switching drivers but you probably will have to RMA.

Comment

i bought this card in july. I really didnt use it much because it was on a cpu that would bottleneck it. I didnt recieve any artifacts on that one (the again there wasnt much to run). Ill try running coolbits and stuff. Thanks guys

Comment

sigh...theres no fix for this..there seems to be a problem with VIA chipset 8235 or 8237 and 6600s and 6800s.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X