Need quik help about my psu!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need quik help about my psu!!!!!

Hi guys i baught a 6600GT friday and its just arrived, How much i'd love to stick it in and get going now but im worrying about my psu, before i put the gfx card in i wanna be sure its not a problem, I found on the back of my case where the psu is it says " 230V " is this how many watts it has? i mean the 6600GT wont be able to run on 230V, My setup is this ; Amd sempron 3200+, 1gig ram, Ati radeon 9550, Asus k8v-mx. Never had a problem, just wondering how to find out the Wattage of the psu and if its safe to put in the 6600. thanks for your quik replys
    Abehep

Re: Need quik help about my psu!!!!!

Nope, 230v is the input voltage. Watts = Volts x Amps. The PSU generates several output voltages, including +5 and +12, and each of those has a current rating. When you do the multiplication for each of those outputs, and then add the result, you get the output power (watt) rating.

Is the PSU a brand name? Are there any identifying marks giving make and model?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

When I upgraded to a 6600gt I also had to upgrade my psu. I made the mistake of buying an off brand that claimed mega-watt power. The problem was that all that power was not where I needed it, it was very inconsistent and the advertized voltage was not backed up with sufficient Amperage.

Here's a good round up and explanation of some better psus: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/...ice_treatment/

Here's another handy little program you can use to figure out what you need:
      http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

The bottom line is to buy name brand and buy a little more than you think you need.
      New to TG?

Comment

nope, ill open it and have a look for ya gimme 10 mins.
        Abehep

Comment

Ok i put the gfx card in and it al booted up fine, installed the drivers, then got an error saying that the graphics card is failing insuficent power and has been lowered in performance to maintaine a safe keeping of your hardware ( or something like that ) , so i though ok, i launched up css and i got into a game, to find lag and lack of graphics lol , i mean the guns looked 2d.
          Abehep

Comment

Is this the AGP version of the 6600GT? If so you need to plug a power cord into the card. If you did plug in the power cord and you're still getting that message, then your power supply isn't putting out enough juice for your new card. You'll need to upgrade your PSU in that case.

As long as you're getting the insufficient power message, your card won't really run in 3d mode.

Comment

When you get that message it's because you didn't plug in the extra power jack into the back of the GFX card, or the plug is loose etc.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X