Laptop fans vs stands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop fans vs stands

I recently purchased a laptop online and now Iíve got the two week crazy anticipation syndrome (constantly checking to see if shipped, tracking where it is, re-organizing my schedule and my wifeís so that either she or I could be home when UPS might be there- in hindsight I shouldíve just sent it to my work). So in an effort to channel my energy into something more productive I thought that Iíd spend more money that I donít have- which brings me to my questions: laptop fans vs the cooling stands (stand the laptops in such a way to allow more efficient air flow)- bad or good experiences? Any suggestions on what to avoid and what to look for? Are they even worth buying?

Re: Laptop fans vs stands

I've got a POS Compaq that overheats when on a desk-the $15-20 piece of plastic that is called a stand keeps it happy.

Consider me a believer. :row__577:

Comment

my laptop would get really really hot when playing bf2 (cpu around 70 gpu around 90) This would autoset the clocks down in effort to cool it. I even used fan gui to increase my fan temps (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html) for Dell fan control and temp monitor. Great program and I suggest you get it!

On black friday they had an antec notebook cooler on sale for 10 bucks and I bought it and tried it out. Works like a charm (My max temp on GPU is now only 75). I suggest that you purchase one. In addition, I cut some slits on the ram cover and used a 'net' to keep out dust and the notebook cooler blows right into it. This helps keep the ram nice and cool.

I also ended up modding my video card because they used thermal pads which were horrible and ended up using copper and AS5. Temps are even lower and I am able to OC it without any problems. Check if there is a way to mod your video card (which i doubt cause urs was built for gaming so you should be fine) I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 BTW.

Good luck!

Comment

I primarily play BF2 for at least 2hrs at a time- I'm worried that my stuff will freakin' lag big time if it gets too hot...hoping to find a good cooler. I'm not planning to OC anytime soon- I don't trust myself to experiment with my new laptop. Do you guys think that the stand or cooling pad is easy to pack up and lug around when traveling?

By the way thanks for the link Druken, I'll check it out when I get the laptop. What's your optimal setting for BF2? Do you have long load times?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X