Maximum PC DIY Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum PC DIY Laptop

After reading that article I may never buy another prebuilt laptop again. (With the except of tablet PCs but I am sure those will join the DIY ranks.)

It is slightly more difficult then making a desktop and also finding the parts is alot harder. I wish Maximum PC would have mentioned where else you could get parts from.

The building your own laptop is similiar to buying a SFF PC. You buy a case that comes with a preinstalled motherboard and then you just buy the processor, RAM, HDD, and even the optical drive.

As soon as I get some money I want to try it out.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Maximum PC DIY Laptop

Give me a few minutes and I will come up with a list of whitebook notebook companies, including the company that makes Alienwares cases.
    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Update found one of the companies. This company is Clevo, http://www.clevo.com.tw/, they have a lot of different styles of cases that you can buy. As for buying directly from them I am not sure if you can do single orders but I am sure if you post here saying what you want to get a couple of us could get together buy the minimum amount of the cases and split the shipping cost and what not. I have seen reviews of different rebrands of the cases and they are supposed to be good. ASUS and MSI also produce some whitebooks and I believe ACER does also.
      -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

^^^^While I found some Pentium M processors at newegg. I was wondering if there were any places that sold say Turion processors and more importantly graphics cards. (High end ones.)
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

The clevo whitebooks include graphics cards, if you looked at the D900T, I believe it can have a 7800GT or a 7900GTX in it, or a X800 PE. The graphics cards are modular so you can switch them out. Or so it says on clevos site and Prostar which uses clevos cases for there laptops and where I get my images to better see how the laptops look. I have never ordered from them, but I am sure someone out there either resells the whitebooks made by clevo, or you can probably order directly from them.
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Could heat be an issue on a DIY lappy?
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Yes but when you buy a "whitebook" in the specs it will say things like what max processor it can handle. I am not sure how to decide which graphic card you can use though. They do come with them already in place.

Also on a side note I would sell my soul for a whitebook SLI.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Heat most likely will not be an issue on a well designed whitebook, it will get warm if you block off the air ports (not to be confused with the Apple airport or where you go to catch a plane) heat will build up and my cause some problems.

If you look at the specs of the Clevo D900T, http://www.clevo.com.tw/products/D900T.asp, it has multiple options for the video card, "controller" is how Clevo put it.

。(Option) ATi Mobility Radeon X800 High performance graphic chip
                。(Option) ATi Mobility Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition High performance graphic chip
                。(Option) nVIDIA GeForceTM Go 6800 High performance graphic chip
                。(Option) nVIDIA GeForceTM Go 6800 Ultra High performance graphic chip
                。(Option) nVIDIA GeForceTM Go 7800 GTX High performance graphic chip
                。(Option) nVIDIA QuadroTM Fx Go 1400 High performance graphic chip

Other than the ATI cards I think the rest are really good cards, but I don't know if ATI has come out with a portable X1000 series portable card.

Edit:
                Some more DiY website links, haven't read through them yet but thought I should post them.
                http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=22
                http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/...ook/index.html
                Last edited by KillerTarget; 03-15-2006, 01:30 AM.
                -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Based on gaming 7800GTX>X800XTPE>6800Ultra>X800XT>6800.

If I remmeber from dailytech the mobility X1800XT and X1800 have been released. I am not sure how good they are. I got a feeling the 7800GTX might be better. Of course you never know.

Edit: Wait a min at this point hell I will take the X800XT. This thing comes with a Pentium 4. Nub down.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

The do have a version that accepts the Athlon X2, I just posted one of the higher end models that had a 17 in. widescreen, for the higher end models it is under the porta note series, and if you have trouble using the links on the side and they give you a 404 error take out of the URL the extra /products that is in there for some reason or another.
                    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I wonder when they will have SLI ones out?
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have heard about a SLI laptop I think. Isn't Dell coming out with a 20 inch XPS that has SLI? The only problem I can see with SLI in a laptop is heat and the fact that you won't have that many outputs if you want to connect external displays.
                        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

^^^^I never heard of the Dell but I do know Voodoo, Falcon, Alienware, and Sager are taking preorders for SLi notebooks. They come with two 7800GTX and a Turion 64 processor.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

I thought it was Dell, but I am probably wrong. I do know that they are coming out with a 20 in. laptop though. With a screen that size it will prob have the capability for SLI but who knows.

Out of those 4 companies that you mentioned I know for sure that 2 use the Clevo cases as a base and the other 2 I am not sure of.
                            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

^^^^^All of the ones I mentioned use Clevo laptops as the base. They just might color it differenetly or something.
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X