Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a New Graphics Card.. Help Meeeee!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a New Graphics Card.. Help Meeeee!!

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is the specs of my 2 year old computer. I want to upgrade my graphics card but I need something that wont crash my machine (IE its too powerful and my comp cant handle it).

I play 3 games: CS:s;DOD Source and hopefully Red Orcestra.

Here are the Specs:

HP Pavillion Intel Pent 4 cpu 2.80GHz
    2.80 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram
    windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 2

NVIDIA gforce fx 5500

Any knowledgeable help is greatly appreciated. ALSO, feel totally free to tell me what I can add to my current setup to make things run faster. i am a computer NOOOB but I'll destroy you on CS:S...lol...thnx

Ben

All I ask for is communication

Re: I want a New Graphics Card.. Help Meeeee!!

I would recommend a used 9800 pro if you can find one. It should be very inexpensive and you won't have to worry too much about the extra cooling and power issues with a GeForce 6 or 7 (or ATI equivalent).

For the games you listed a 9800 pro can do very well even though its a 2-generations-old card (I recommend no HDR though).

Comment

How much do you want to spend? Like Random said, a 9800 pro is going to be crazy cheap and run those games pretty well (I'm easily able to play them all on a 9600), but if you have the money something like a 6800GS would last you much longer and get you much much better quality in those 3 games.

Comment

I can spend up to $200 and I dont want to worry about cooling problems and such. Is the 6800gs still an option?

Comment

You can get a very nice card for $200, but we need to know what power supply you have before recomending one.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

at $200, it's an option. Most 6800GS cards run in the $150-$225 price range, depending on brand. They are available in AGP, which is what I'm assuming your motherboard supports. Power wise, unless you're sporting some ultra-generic 400W or smaller PSU shouldn't be a problem, neither should cooling, as stock cooling on most GFX is more than sufficient for everyday use.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

ok, i will check out power..where do I see what power it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                ok, i will check out power..where do I see what power it is?
                Should be a sticker on the PSU inside your case, write down and copy the details here. Or just get the make and model number.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X