New items on the techdeck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New items on the techdeck

Starting a new round of product evaluations this week.

First up - two mothers, same family: Asus P5WD2 and P5WD2-E Premium
    Three brains from the same stem : Pentium D 830, 920, 950
    A new PS: Hiper Type-R series 580W
    a tale of Two Cases.. the Lian Li PC-7B plus II and Thermaltake Armor (silver, aluminum)
    A new graphics board.. the ATI Radeon X1900XTX
    a pair of Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) drives 320GB
    a pair of Maxtor DiamondMax 10's, SATA(2) 200GB
    2 pair Corsair XMS2 DDR2 6400's 4GB total
    And I just couldn't resist throwing in a Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77
    And the oddball shot in the dark of the bunch is a Hawking Technology Broadband Booster.

All products ordered from NewEgg, all arrived within three days in good condition with one exception.. One pair of DDR2 came open inside it's packaging.. more on that later.

Evals for this forum are informal and will be posted throughout the upcoming weekend for interested parties to view.
    sigpic

Re: New items on the techdeck

Did ya finally get a winning scratchoff ticket? :D
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
      Did ya finally get a winning scratchoff ticket? :D
      No WAY! I wouldn't waste my money! If that were the case - This would be a travel-log from the deck of a large cruise ship.. complete with pictures!

No, we are ramping up a series of upgrades a little earlier than scheduled so it is eval time.. this series might be a false start though because we might need to move into Quadro or Fire graphics chipsets instead..
      sigpic

Comment

No, he killed a rich guy.

I mean knocked over a bank.

I mean embezzled large sums of money.

I mean worked hard.

Yeah.

He worked hard. That's the American dream. Work hard, get rich, buy pieces of metal and plug them into your wall.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
          No WAY! I wouldn't waste my money! If that were the case - This would be a travel-log from the deck of a large cruise ship.. complete with pictures!

No, we are ramping up a series of upgrades a little earlier than scheduled so it is eval time.. this series might be a false start though because we might need to move into Quadro or Fire graphics chipsets instead..
          Ohh... you have to build systems by hand for work? That doesn't sound very fun to do on a large basis.

HP makes some kickass workstations.. couple Xeons, SCSI, Quadro.. zoom zoom.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
            Ohh... you have to build systems by hand for work? That doesn't sound very fun to do on a large basis.

HP makes some kickass workstations.. couple Xeons, SCSI, Quadro.. zoom zoom.
            I consider it therapy.
            sigpic

Comment

My first impressions so far.. and a rookie mistake.

I have installed the P5WD2-E Premium in an existing case, a moderately sized - typical Coolermaster Wave Master (same as their Preatorian). It is a very high density main board that is very, very, very well made. All of the screw holes were clearly and obviously grounded, and the included hardware is good quality. A lot of the added 'frills' that were common in many Asus Deluxe and Premium models were clearly missing.. built-in TV tuners (although available on another P5W model), wireless add-ons, etc. In their place were more USB headers in easier to reach locations, Two Ethernet LAN ports and an external SATA(3.0GBs) connection - which I will take anyday over the built-in W/LAN that was on the P5AD2-E Premium.

The boot-up is quick, with a nice opening MB splash-screen (which can be changed with the usual ASUS included tools) and their usual solid BIOS backing it up.. All the memory picked up correctly (2GB (4x512) Corsair XMS2) and the CPU, an Intel Pentium D 950 was spot on.. overall, the some solid, no surprises product I had come to expect over the years with ASUS products.

EXCEPT. One problem.. could be my fault, but I couldn't find the answer (although the point is moot now - more on that in a sec). The Marvell Sata Raid driver insists on re-installing via 'found new hardware' each time the macine is rebooted. This prompted me to skip using the RAID for now - I had two new drives SATA (3.0GBs) enroute to replace the original SATA drives I had anyway.

Why is that problem moot now? Well, I went to install the ATI X1900XTX without having looked at it first (there is the rookie mistake) and with three drives occupying the lower bays - it doesn't fit in the case with it's powercord! The card weighs a TON (ok, maybe only 3-5 pounds) and is the full length of the mainboard - making it's board about 30-35% of the size of the mainboard! There is some serious hardware involved in that piece of work. I could have stacked the drives more densly but I had the problem with the two raids drives anyway and opted to just remove them.. I will get them back when the new case and drives arrive on Monday.

I have not seen the X1900 Crossfire edition yet, but I can imagine the board size as being the same as the X1900XTX, even if it were a little smaller, space inside a conventional ATX case would become a problem - something to be aware of.

I am still evaluating the performance so there is more to come - stay tuned!
              sigpic

Comment

I can help with those performance evaluations, and I'm cheap, too! $25/hr or $150/day, you ship both ways ;)
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed