AGP vs PCIe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP vs PCIe

ok.. i am building a new system... didnt cut any corners untill i was thinking if i should go PCIe or stay AGP, this is an issue, because of the price factor(i would then have to buy a new GFX card =( ). what would u reccoment i do? do i stay AGP, and use my near-new ATI X1600PRO; or go PCIe and buy a cheap(for now) GFX card untill i can afford a X1900XTX a few months down the road.....
    if pcie, i noticed there is 2 kinds... x16 and x1, i am assuming that x16 is better, but can u fill me in on that part?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: AGP vs PCIe

i had the same problem

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...077-pci-e.html
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

hey thanks, that answers one question
      im swaying towards pcie, i have 2 'shoping carts' with new egg.... one with AGP mobo and one with pcie mobo+ cheap pcie gfx to get me by, if anyone has a cheap pcie gfx card, gimme a PM, im lookin to get one to get me by for a month or so,

windows home of pro? (im not going linux, so dont even go there =P)
      (asking from a gamers perspective (which one has the least BS programs that i would manually turn off))
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

There really isn't any differences in Home or Pro except for the Administrative tools as far as I know. I would go with Home for the cheaper price
        sigpic

Comment

Indeed. AGP is being phased out as we speak, PCI-e is absolutely the way to go if you can afford it (if you have a near new AGP card that you won't be able to use, there is a good chance you could get value for it selling it in the buy/sell/trade forum right here on TG)
          pci-e x16 is what the GFX uses. PCI-e x1 is more like a standard PCI slot. Standard PCI is supposed to be completely phased out by pci-e as well, but it's taking its sweet time in getting there. Right now not a whole lot uses pci-e 1x, but it's intended for sound cards, network cards and the like.

XP home unless you have a dire need for the extra networking and administrative stuff that Pro comes with.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

If you are worried about your MOBO and being able to upgrade to PCI-E down the road, you can do what i did and get the ASROCK 939DUAL motherboard ( that is if you are planning to get an AMD chip ....)

The Motherboard has both AGP and PCI-E slots so you can use your AGP card until you decide to upgrade to PCI-E like I did.

Plus it is only $66 from Newegg ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081
            |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
            [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Why not just hold off on the upgrade until you can afford the X1900XTX?
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I just changed my gaming rig from one that was designed around the AGP (9800XT) to a PCI-E SLI system (2X 7900s). Wow, you want a talk about a frame rate difference!!! As far as saving up for a X1900XTX (unless you use Crossfire), save you money and just do SLI instead, way cheaper and better performance. If you insist on using ATI, just do the trade up program later -you get more for trading up ATI cards.
                If you are looking for some good web sites I can PM you with some really good links of places to shop online for systems. I actually did alot of price and performance comparisons for about 4 months before I bought.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

i have heard that sli has some problems, recognising gfx cards.... lockup at the loadins screen... stuff like that... so i am going to sway away from sli for the time being