Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Content Management system suggestions

Hey guys,

Ive been having problems with a site i admin to do with the cpu usage being used by our website, the usage is being caused by 3 of the files; so the owner says to get something better than e107.

I do like e107 because of its customization but it has let me down a few times so im gonna move on.

So does anyone know a good CMS for a small clan, which has great templates to apply to it, and nice customization?

I'd like something like Vbulletin but theres the issue of cost....lol.

I WILL NEVERuse php nuke again, horribly linear
    I need more than just a forum, so phpbb is out of the question.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Re: Content Management system suggestions

What version of e107 are you using? On my site I use the latest (0.7.2) and I have never been emailed by my host (godaddy) about using to much CPU, heck I think the web proxy I use takes more CPU power. Then again I don't have very many people who go to my site on a regular basis. How active is your site? Is there a large amount of traffic coming and going? I can check later tonight on my home computer with apache installed to see how much power it takes to run the CMS. Also what 3 files specifically are using up the CPU? Know what files they are I can take a look at them and possibly come up with some streamlined it they have to do with e107. It could be that your host/admin doesn't like e107 and is trying to find a way to get you to change systems.
    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Anything phpBB or *Nuke based I would stay away from. Too many vulnerabilities.

I would highly recommend vBulletin.

Since cost is a factor you could also look into Drupal. That's what we use over on http://www.tacticalnews.com
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Drupal is nice and flexible....and free.

Tzefanya linked modxcms to me for a project he is working on, and that is very slick, and free as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerTarget
          What version of e107 are you using? On my site I use the latest (0.7.2) and I have never been emailed by my host (godaddy) about using to much CPU, heck I think the web proxy I use takes more CPU power. Then again I don't have very many people who go to my site on a regular basis. How active is your site? Is there a large amount of traffic coming and going? I can check later tonight on my home computer with apache installed to see how much power it takes to run the CMS. Also what 3 files specifically are using up the CPU? Know what files they are I can take a look at them and possibly come up with some streamlined it they have to do with e107. It could be that your host/admin doesn't like e107 and is trying to find a way to get you to change systems.
          Using the latest version, my site just was showing a blank screen today i went to live support and was told i was using too much cpu. Site has about 55 members, not too active and ive never had the problem before. The host is http://rackslash.com, i went to their live support, we found 3 files causing the trouble:

news.php
          forum.php
          user.php

I removed them and the cpu usage went down to what it should be, i add them from a new download and its back up.

Comment

Ill have a look at those mateo.

Apo whats vbulletin like to administrate? is it quite complex and is it flexible? Also where do you get all the nice looking templates?

Comment

If those are the files that are giving you the problems I don't know what to say because those are the main files and the fact that they were taking that much CPU makes me think that something was up with the files. Maybe someone edited the files and made some changes that screwed with connections. I would also take a look at the e107config.php file and the class2.php to make sure that those files are the problems also. There is another main file I think that I would also check out. Looking at your hosts website makes me think something is up with their servers also, if you look at their VPS servers they say you only get 250 mhz for the middle VPS when I can go to some other hosts and for the same price get a windows based VPS that is a lot faster with better bandwith.

If you want to switch hosts that give you a lot of control and reliability without using to much CPU power check out powweb.com. Some of my friends host their site with them and they have never been down longer than 3 min or so, except that one time they got dugg and had to many calls to the database.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

If those are the files that are giving you the problems I don't know what to say because those are the main files and the fact that they were taking that much CPU makes me think that something was up with the files. Maybe someone edited the files and made some changes that screwed with connections. I would also take a look at the e107config.php file and the class2.php to make sure that those files are the problems also. There is another main file I think that I would also check out. Looking at your hosts website makes me think something is up with their servers also, if you look at their VPS servers they say you only get 250 mhz for the middle VPS when I can go to some other hosts and for the same price get a windows based VPS that is a lot faster with better bandwith.

If you want to switch hosts that give you a lot of control and reliability without using to much CPU power check out powweb.com. Some of my friends host their site with them and they have never been down longer than 3 min or so, except that one time they got dugg and had to many calls to the database.
                Yeah ill try that tomorrow, maybe be able to get e107 fixed.

How do you like e107? Do you use it for a personal site?

Comment

I use e107 for my personal site which is also a gaming news site. Have been busy with a lot of school work lately so that has been put on the back burner. I also need to get someone with some graphic talent to help me with a new theme for the site and the forums which are based on simple machine forums which are robust and have a lot of support. I like e107 with the fact that is it easy to use and that a lot of the stuff is really easily customized to fit what you need on the site. Security wise it is good with the fact that if you want to change the name of the admin folder you just have to make changes to 2 files and the admin folder itself. I honestly don't use the CMS to its full advantage, but it works for what I need it to do.

There is also a plugin for e107 that is designed for clans. I tried it out once for s**** and giggles and to see if I could adapt it for use with something else I was working on at the time, and it seemed good enough other than the fact that some design and PHP work was needed to do what I needed it to do.

This is all stuff I have observed and through my testing and use of. I am not a PHP or web designer. I know enough HTML to get my by and enough PHP for me to edit PHP files.
                  -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I use e107 for my personal site which is also a gaming news site. Have been busy with a lot of school work lately so that has been put on the back burner. I also need to get someone with some graphic talent to help me with a new theme for the site and the forums which are based on simple machine forums which are robust and have a lot of support. I like e107 with the fact that is it easy to use and that a lot of the stuff is really easily customized to fit what you need on the site. Security wise it is good with the fact that if you want to change the name of the admin folder you just have to make changes to 2 files and the admin folder itself. I honestly don't use the CMS to its full advantage, but it works for what I need it to do.

There is also a plugin for e107 that is designed for clans. I tried it out once for s**** and giggles and to see if I could adapt it for use with something else I was working on at the time, and it seemed good enough other than the fact that some design and PHP work was needed to do what I needed it to do.

This is all stuff I have observed and through my testing and use of. I am not a PHP or web designer. I know enough HTML to get my by and enough PHP for me to edit PHP files.

http://infade.net -Best e107 theme designer, go into his downloads section
                    http://e107coders.org - Place to get lots of plugins

Infade releases nice public theme and also does custom paid work you should check out his site.

Comment

Originally posted by XS-StrikeEagle
                      Ill have a look at those mateo.

Apo whats vbulletin like to administrate? is it quite complex and is it flexible? Also where do you get all the nice looking templates?
                      vBulletin can be easy OR complex to administrate. It's up to you. If you want to use it for the basic functionality then it's quite easy, but if you want to get complicated with your setup (like TG), it will accomodate that.

As for templates, you can buy them or build them. I tend to go with a combination of both.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The site seems to of been fixed now anyway, the clan leader must of sorted it out today. Ill have a talk with him later.

Ill keep in mind the CMS's you guys mentioned for any future sites.

Thanks alot

Comment

I briefly looked into Twiki, just before a bunch of sites got owned through a shell wildcard exploit. I quickly took down my test site and never went back.

I've been wanting a wiki for internal team documents and hadn't yet settled on one. Is Drupal reasonable for that? Or would I be better off going with a more "pure" wiki like Moin-Moin? I mainly want access control so that only team members can see the "sooper-sekrit" content, yet still have pages that are visible to the public.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X