Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've changed the New Posts screen so that I may filter the forums which are displayed in the search results. I did this for myself by authoring a userscript for use in the Greasemonkey Firefox extension, and I've decided to share that userscript here. Anyone may use it if he likes. I've called it, simply, New Posts Forum Filter.

The userscript adds an include/exclude toggle just to the right of each forum title in the main and sub forum indexes. By toggling the setting for each forum, you configure the userscript, specifying which forums you want excluded or included.

On the New Posts page itself, you'll notice that excluded forums immediately disappear when the page finishes loading in your browser (what "flicker" you see is unavoidable). You'll also see on that page two links which will help you get out of any trouble you create for yourself: "List Hidden Forums" and "Clear Hidden Forums".

newpostsfilter.user.js

If you have any questions about how to install or use this, please do use Google to educate yourself minimally about Greasemonkey before asking questions.

If you do use this, please do provide feedback in this thread. I anticipate there's much room for improvement here.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: New Posts Forum Filter

Be advised: many forums in the master index have sub-forums. Rarely will excluding such forums with this userscript do you any good, as rarely to do those forums actually contain threads.

Instead, exclude the sub-forum in which the threads are actually created.

Excluding parent forums does not exclude child forums. Each must be managed individually.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I have a feature request. I have no idea how hard it would be to do this, or even if it's possible, but is there any way that you could include a toggle to turn the filter on and off?

During the week, I don't have time to read everything, so I only want to see my filtered "new posts". But on the weekend, I've got more time and I'd like to view ALL new posts. I see that I can clear the filter list, but I'm assuming that I'd have to manually set the filter again after that... I'd like to be able to keep my filter settings and then decide if I want that filter on or off.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I thought about that, but I decided that disabling the script in Greasemonkey, for the moment, was sufficient. You disagree, perhaps?

What I *don't* know is if the filter's settings are retained if you disable/enable the script. I suspect they would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          I thought about that, but I decided that disabling the script in Greasemonkey, for the moment, was sufficient. You disagree, perhaps?

What I *don't* know is if the filter's settings are retained if you disable/enable the script. I suspect they would be.
          Hmmm, let me try that out...
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I tested it. It works beautifully.

You can disable Greasemonkey entirely by left-clicking on the monkey, or you can disable only this script by right-clicking on the monkey and left-clicking on the New Posts Forum Filter line.

With the functionality disabled, the New Posts results appear unfiltered.

When you re-enable what you disabled, New Posts is again filtered with your forum list intact.

Comment

Yes. This is nice. Thanks again!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Now make one for Opera :D

Comment

Opera? Ech... :)

Comment

Have you ever tried it?

Comment

No browser has ever rendered cnn.com for me faster than Opera. It's just one site, but DAMN that was fast. It was like it was loading the whole damn site from my local disk, instant-images and all.

Comment

Yeah, I tried out Opera one day because I heard the new version passes the Internet acid test and I was just curious what it was like, and that was the last time I ever used Firefox. I mean, I hit the back button, and a page loads INSTANTLY. Why can't Firefox do that? Opera's just so fast...

Comment

Firefox can do that with the right extension.

I have this memory of Opera of having stuff I didn't need. Right, wrong, good, or bad, Firefox is the first browser *I* found which does what I need and nothing else.

Comment

That's funny, one of the reasons I like Opera is that it's stripped down. I mean, it has all this stuff like an RSS reader and things like that (which are useful; Firefox RSS was clunky for me), but I don't need to use any of it and mostly I just pretend it's not there. Since it works so well without having to install any extensions, I kind if like it more than FF. Like you said, FF has that functionality with an extension, but the more you add the more those eat your RAM. Firefox isn't SLOW or anything, but Opera is freaking fast.

Comment

You're definately right. Opera is a screaming beast. But to each his own, for sure. The RSS is a perfect example of "bloat," for me, as I manage my RSS feeds with Trillian.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X