Cheap new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap new hardware

Alright guys, a new dilemma into the world of noob hardware. A buddy of mine is addicted to BF2 and I need to find him a decent case and a video card to run the game. I'm selling him my 3500+ and MSI k8n neo platinum 4 SLI board (PCI-e) but he needs a case and video card that'll run BF2, at the absolute minimum cost. The PSU is of no concern since I've already sold him a 500w PS (I can't remember the brand but it ran my system fine). Any recommendations?

Also, if I do find him the right case & vid card, can I just swap hardware (CPU & vid card) and not worry about anything else? Or am I going to have to format the hard drive, back up etc.? he doesn't have the installation disks his HP came with anymore. I've heard it's always better to do a fresh install of windows xp when you switch CPU's. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

The Cliggety Claw
    Last edited by B. Clawhammer; 03-24-2006, 06:11 AM.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Cheap new hardware

You should definately backup the HD first. If the worst scenario happpens and the machine fails then he will have his data. I've never changed processors without doing a fresh install so I can't comment on that.

Make sure to get a decent sized case for airflow. If he spends about $50 he can get something like a chieftec. The chassis is usually the bit that everyone skimps on and it ends up causing heat problems.

For video a geforce 6600 or 6800 will run BF2 fine at medium res. Make sure he gets at least a gig of ram, 2 if possible. BF2 chews through RAM like mad.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

You can get a 6600gt on newegg for under $100. Thats what I have, and it runs great.
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127147
      sigpic

Comment

Heck if you want to be crazy cheap a Radeon 9600 will run BF2 (I'm doing it right here!). Those things are like, free.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Yeah, for PCI-e your best bet is a 6800.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodofooko
          You can get a 6600gt on newegg for under $100. Thats what I have, and it runs great.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127147

6600GT would be the lowest I would go...for a bit more maybe a 6800GS...that's what I run and I like it very much!!

good luck,

Chappie

Comment

Yeah I think I'm gonna have him go w/a 6600gt, maybe a 6800, but not anything better than that due to budget.
            But is it a good idea to upgrade CPU and mobo w/o doing a fresh install of windows? I'll be transfering his HD, CDROM/DVDROM from his HP into a new case w/a different CPU and mobo. He still can't find teh CD's taht came w/his PC.
            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

nope, no need to reinstall... windows will detect all the new devices on the mobo and install drivers appropriately. (though you'll need to have the drivers disc that comes w/ the mobo handy for things like LAN drivers, etc.)

Comment

Right on. Hopefully we can get this setup this wknd sometime. I'm tired of him ruining my BF2 account lol.
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

if Windows XP was installed on a machine that ran a different mobo than the current one, XP will not boot on a new mobo. XP requires a fresh install when you switch core components.. XP binds to your hardware config on install as part of it's anti-piracy stuff. Sometimes you can fool XP by using a mobo with the same bios or chipset, but usually you just get BSOD's and need to format and reinstall. Switching Ram, CPU, and video card is usually okay, but once you switch the motherboard you run into issues. You can certainly try it, but in all likelyhood you're going to have to reformat.

So, in short: If the mobo is different than the one you installed XP on, you will need to reformat.

If the mobo and the HDD came from the same rig and you're just changing ram, cpu, GFX, you will not need to reformat.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Darn it spyder!! That's not what I wanted to hear lol. Yeah I'll definitely be changing the mobo and cpu, but using the same HDD as he had before w/xp already installed. If he doesn't have any of the disks that came w/his PC, and I reformat it, he'd still have to go out and get another xp install disk right? Or can I use a different option like repair or fix when reformatting?
                    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Did he previously have a dell or emachine or other pre-constructed PC that came with an OEM version of XP?

If that's the case, the OEM liscense doesn't cover anything but the exact PC it was installed on, so it is my understanding that he'd need a new copy of XP once he switched out the motherboard. In which case I'd try to boot the system up after you rearrange the parts first, and if it BSOD's then buy a new copy of XP and format/install.

It might be possible to use the OEM disc to do a repair install, but I'm not sure.

If he had a box copy (ie: one you bought from walmart or something) then you can use that disc to reinstall xp on any machine, provided it is only ever on one machine at a time.

I have never had success with repair installs for any problem other than say a corrupted boot sector, but that is deffinantly not my area of expertise, so hopefully somebody else can fill you in on that.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                        if Windows XP was installed on a machine that ran a different mobo than the current one, XP will not boot on a new mobo. XP requires a fresh install when you switch core components.. XP binds to your hardware config on install as part of it's anti-piracy stuff. Sometimes you can fool XP by using a mobo with the same bios or chipset, but usually you just get BSOD's and need to format and reinstall. Switching Ram, CPU, and video card is usually okay, but once you switch the motherboard you run into issues. You can certainly try it, but in all likelyhood you're going to have to reformat.

So, in short: If the mobo is different than the one you installed XP on, you will need to reformat.

If the mobo and the HDD came from the same rig and you're just changing ram, cpu, GFX, you will not need to reformat.

I did this exact thing 2 weeks ago. Swapped out a Dell mini-ATX board for a regular ASUS board. It auto detected a bunch of hardware, let me install network drivers from the ASUS CD, and then rebooted. Upon reboot, it asked me to validate my copy of windows XP. Called an 800 number, punched in my XP serial-key and was good to go! (The XP serial is probably a sticker on his case - if not, then on the user's manual or XP case).

If you ahve the serial number, you're all set. If not, you're hosed.

Comment

Yeah he had an HP from best buy or something, but he can't find any of the CD's taht came with it (its like 2 yrs old). I guess I'll try putting it all together and see how it runs, otherwise, he might just have to get another xp. thanks.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...