Searching for LCD Display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for LCD Display

I LOVE getting tax refunds! They are the best....

Anyways...

I found this LCD monitor at the dell website. Looking at the specs, it's quite a nice monitor. After searching the forums here, I gathered that "Image Contrast Ratio" was one of the major factors when deciding on a LCD panel. This one is 800:1, Which Im assuming is decent speed.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for? Im ready to click order on this, But I dont want to be disapointed!

Thanks!
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Searching for LCD Display

If you can swing it, find a deal, etc., check out the 20" Dell displays. Although it's just 1" bigger, your screen real estate grows from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200. Huge difference.. I love my 2001FP and always feel cramped now when I have to use a smaller screen resolution. But, the Dell Ultrasharp monitors are all nice.

The response time is pretty important when gaming. Get too high and you see ghosting. Response time on the 1907 is 8ms, which is excellent. Haven't been able to find that stat on the 1906, but I bet it's down in that range. Both are pretty new.. I know the 1905 Ultrasharp was pretty darn nice, except its response time was up over 20ms, which is pretty high for gaming.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

You can't go wrong with the Dell gaming LCD's, IMO.
      Also companies like Samsung and Viewsonic routinely put out great monitors.
      If you can afford it, deffinantly go 20", as the 19" has the same resolution as the 17" (1280x1024)

But be aware that LCD's are designed to run in their natural resolutions (1280x for 17/19", 1600x for 20") and any attempt to resize them usually means they will look like crap. So make sure your rig can run what you play in their resolutions well.

Contrast ratio is a biggy, anything above 500:1 is usually pretty good. Response time needs to be under 16ms to prevent ghosting in high action displays (gaming and Movies), almost all of the monitors coming out are under that # now though.

If you can, I highly recommend physically looking at a monitor, as much of it is what looks good to you.

I also highly recommend AGAINST buying LCD's online at places like newegg etc. The reason being is that you need to have 8 bad pixels before they will replace it, which usually means there is a 30% chance you'll get a crap monitor (3-4 dead pixels) and you can't do anything about it. Buy in a store if you can.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I just bought the 1907FP during the Dell Days Deals. The viewing angle is alright and the contrast ratio is 500:1 but it was cheap. It's a 6-bit panel (each colour can do 64 shades) but faster response time than the other monitors on the site. I think the 1906FP is similar to the 1905FP. Both are 8-bit panels (each colour can do 256 shades) but the response time is higher.

I read somewhere that most LCD monitors are usually 6-bit panels because of the faster response time. The 8-bit panels are better for graphics artists. I think the main concern with getting a gaming monitor is response time and viewing angle. The minimum that is most tolerable is probably 140 degrees horizontal and vertical. The better ones are probably 160 degrees or higher.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Can't offer much advice but I bought a 1905FP last summer and love it.
          Never rub another man's rhubarb!

Comment

Be careful with response times. They are reported very differently by companies; sometimes it's the time it takes a pixel to go from black to white, sometimes it's black to white to black, sometimes it's gray to gray, etc. Basically any non-cheap LCD these days won't exhibit much ghosting. You're better off buying the biggest one you can afford, as long as the contrast ratio isn't something absolutely horrid.

Comment

I am currently running dual LCD's and will never go back to CRT's. My primary is the Samsung SyncMaster 930a and the secondary is the Samsung 913t, both 19 inch. Both of them are great monitors for both work and gaming. Just my recommendation.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Actually depends on what you are doing with the monitor. If you are doing just basic home stuff, a Dell is the way to go. If you plan on doing gaming, well that is another story. I searched around for about 3 months, reading reviews and specs before I found an actual gaming monitor. I ended up getting the ViewSonic VX922. The thing has a 2ms response time which is the fastest on the market; hence awesome for gaming. It is a 19inch; I would have got bigger if they had a model that had the same specs. I am thoroughly satisfied with playing any game I am running, no ghosting of images and it is vibrant as can be.
                You can shop around and pay around $360+ online for the monitor. Somebody earlier did post an important point about X amount of dead pixels. I had no issues with this one, but when some companies send you a monitor, they require that so many “dead pixels” must be present before you can return it.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Once again, TheBigC, watch out for response times. A 2ms response time can easily look worse than an 8ms response time, just because companies measure it in different ways and don't need to tell you how they measure it.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                    Once again, TheBigC, watch out for response times. A 2ms response time can easily look worse than an 8ms response time, just because companies measure it in different ways and don't need to tell you how they measure it.
                    Agreed, you do have to be carefull with the way they measure it. I actualy went with the VeiwSonic, primarily because of some great reveiws at various websites and of course the price.
                    Here are a couple links I used to:
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRa...size=100&Page=
                    http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...and-above.html
                    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911998,00.asp
                    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1786987

Happy shopping!
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

My newer Dell 20" widescreen has been outstanding so far. It's an 8-bit panel so banding is not to much of a problem, where as the fast response 6-bit panels are a major eye-sore for me.

No ghosting on it what-so-ever that I can tell.

Also, keep in mind that response times are not all equal from panel type to panel type.

Check out the following link for some good info for researching: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...0405/page2.asp

Comment

Dell 2405FPW here.
                        I will never voluntarily go back to CRT.
                        I love it and, if it's in someone's price range, highly recommend it.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

I purchased the Samsung Syncmaster 930b back in November or October of last year and simply love it. It's got a great contrast ratio and response time. I think it's like 700:1 and 8ms (been awhile since I looked the specs up), but I'ts been good to me. I've noticed no ghosting whatsoever, and I think the prices on it have dropped. Mine's only 19" though :(
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...