Power supply question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply question

Well I'm going to upgrade the PC in the next week, it's gonna be nice to play BF2 with everything on high. My question is: Who are the top power supply manufacturers as far as stability and putting out the actual amount of power that they say they will, etc?
    Thanks

Re: Power supply question

Hey Shakey,

IMO Antec and Fortron Source (fsp) are two of the best....If you want to drop some serious cash then you can go Seasonic or PC Power and Cooling ( VERRRRRYY expensive!!)

I have a FSP supply and really like it...very stable.

What components will you be running in the rig??

Chappie

Comment

Seasonic isn't that expensive. PCP&C is the top brand by all accounts, the second tier would include, as Chappie said, Antec and FSP (thought I have less knowledge of FSP myself), as well as Seasonic, Enermax and possibly Silverstone.

On my next rig, I'm getting a 600W Seasonic, it will be overkill, but it's $150 and I won't have to worry about anything. Seasonic is probably the best of the tier 2 manufaturers.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I bought an Ultra 500W a few months ago and have been very happy. It's also modular so the cabling is a bit cleaner.

Comment

At this point it's going to be:
          Asus A8N-SLI premium mobo.
          Geforce 7900GTX video card (although I may do two 7900GT in SLI) haven't decided yet. I figure if I do the GTX I can always add a second when it starts to show it's age where as I'd have to scrap the 2 9800GTs.
          2GB OCZ Platinum RAM
          250GB SATA II HD.
          everything else I'm just re-using from my existing PC.

I need a PS in the 600W+ range mith 12 volt rails that are 30A minimum. $150.00 for a power supply isn't a big deal to me, I just want something good that is going to do what it says it will.

Comment

Might as well ask another question while I'm at it. Who do you feel are the best video card manufacturers. Obviously a ton of people make 7900 cards but which ones do you feel are the better manufacturers? BFG? XFX?

Comment

Originally posted by shakeyjake
              Might as well ask another question while I'm at it. Who do you feel are the best video card manufacturers. Obviously a ton of people make 7900 cards but which ones do you feel are the better manufacturers? BFG? XFX?

Personally, if you are going to go nVidia..then go EVGA...

Good luck!!

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
                I bought an Ultra 500W a few months ago and have been very happy. It's also modular so the cabling is a bit cleaner.
                I can't wait to get a modular PS! Best idea since... ever.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie
                  Personally, if you are going to go nVidia..then go EVGA...
                  Make sure you register your card, I think their waranties are lifetime, which is a huge deal! I bought an EVGA 6800 GT (AGP) last September/October and it died in February. I RMA'd it and they sent me a brand new 7800 GS as a replacement, no questions asked (just following the RMA instructions, of course). Customer service is key in my decision to purchase a product, and that awesome display probably made me an EVGA customer for life. Similarly, Newegg's service has me shop there all the time, even if they don't always have the lowest price (often but not always).

That reminds me...

Comment

Yeah Newegg is where I'm getting everything. Lifetime warranty on the vid card is something I definitely want.

Comment

Depends on what case you're buying; some cases come with perfectly good power supplies. If your case doesn't come with one, or it's generic, Antec is my favorite PSU brand.

Modular power supplies are a pretty good idea, and you should be fine if they're rated for SLI, but remember that you get less power through a modular cable. It shouldn't make a difference though.

Comment

As far as graphic card manufacturers, I personally prefer evga much like what chappie suggested. I've had no problems whatsoever w/their 7800gts and their lifetime warranty. Definitely register them. I believe they also provide some sort of rebate for their cards, at least they did when I bought them about 3-4 months apart. I think they still have some sort of step-up program as well.
                        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

If you're still looking at power supplies, I'd recommend the 600W Seasonic.

And an unwanted question as well, if I may: why are you going 7900GTX over X1900XT?
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The trigger is already pulled and I went with the Seasonic 600W. I've just never had an ATI card, always done Nvidia. Plus some of the tests I read showed that the Nvidia SLI performed better than the Crossfire in most of the games tested, but thats all relative to who's doing the testing I'm sure. Of course when I went to order the graphics card nobody had any. They did have the ATi which made me pause for a second, but I had already ordered the motherboard.
                            Newegg shows a date of 4/3 to get the cards in which is Monday. Hopefully that's not some arbitrary date.

Comment

Has anyone suggested Hiper yet? www.frozencpu.com

Quiet, Rock solid, clean power. Modular.

It is 36A on the +5 and 30A on the 3.3.. super stable.

It's sold as a 580.. but that is constant load.. 630 Peak is within it's range. Of course it is SLi and Crossfire ready.

It wins my award. As if that means anything.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X