Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Netgear router is a POS, I need a new one. What do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Netgear router is a POS, I need a new one. What do you use?

Don't chime in if you use Netgear ;) Two buddies of mine at work use them with no issues, but after the problems I've been facing I have zero faith in netgear routers on my charter connection.

Took me some time, but it turns out the reason I couldn't stay connected to the VPN for Intel was because my router seemed to drop connection. When I play BF2 I would get 2 or 3 "Connection problems" messages each round, a lot of the time ending up with me being disconnected. It's fine for surfing the net, but for gaming and my work needs, the netgear is a POS. I've been reading up on Dlink and Linksys (had a linksys before with no issues) and there seems to be no middle of the road, the reviews say "it's great" or "it sucks". I'm on charter cable. What do you guys use and are you happy with it? Wireless G/B is a necessity for me.

Oh, and if you are experiencing connection issues while playing BF2, connect straight to your modem (bypass the router) and see if that fixes your problems. It did mine.

Re: My Netgear router is a POS, I need a new one. What do you use?

Originally posted by JMJ
    Oh, and if you are experiencing connection issues while playing BF2, connect straight to your modem (bypass the router) and see if that fixes your problems. It did mine.
    I had a problem just like this for a while. I also used a NetGear router. The problem didn't turn out to be an actual problem with my router, but a problem with my on-board network card that the router was identifying.

The router dropping the traffic was a symptom of the network problem I had, but not the cause.

But you asked for people not to chime in if they use NetGear. So I'll stop here and you can take the above information for what it's worth.

I would recommend against DLink though and go with Linksys if you're looking for an alternative solution.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
      I had a problem just like this for a while. I also used a NetGear router. The problem didn't turn out to be an actual problem with my router, but a problem with my on-board network card that the router was identifying.

The router dropping the traffic was a symptom of the network problem I had, but not the cause.

But you asked for people not to chime in if they use NetGear. So I'll stop here and you can take the above information for what it's worth.

I would recommend against DLink though and go with Linksys if you're looking for an alternative solution.
      Very interesting, did you try connecting your modem directly to your on board network card? I did this (currently still like this) and was able to stay connected to the VPN for over an hour (used to drop anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of use), and also had no connection issues when gaming. I guess the only way to know for sure is try another router. If it's my network card on my desktop, that is going to SUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
        Very interesting, did you try connecting your modem directly to your on board network card? I did this (currently still like this) and was able to stay connected to the VPN for over an hour (used to drop anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of use), and also had no connection issues when gaming. I guess the only way to know for sure is try another router. If it's my network card on my desktop, that is going to SUCK.
        Yes. Connecting directly to the cablemodem eliminated the symptoms of the problem. My Cablemodem (a Motorola Surfboard something-or-other) didn't care about the abnormalities in the traffic enough to drop the connection. It just passed the garbage right on through. Eventually my treatment of the symptoms failed and I needed a new network card to actually resolve the issue.

Having seen this occur SEVERAL times with the on-board NIC cards run by Marvel Yukon chipsets, I have learned to stay away from them at all costs. Do you, by chance, have this chipset in your machine controlling your network interface or is it something else?

Comment

I'm no help with your technical problems, but I'm using a Linksys router and it works fine for games, wireless connectivity, surfing the Internet, and everything else.

Comment

Yes. Connecting directly to the cablemodem eliminated the symptoms of the problem. My Cablemodem (a Motorola Surfboard something-or-other) didn't care about the abnormalities in the traffic enough to drop the connection. It just passed the garbage right on through. Eventually my treatment of the symptoms failed and I needed a new network card to actually resolve the issue.

Having seen this occur SEVERAL times with the on-board NIC cards run by Marvel Yukon chipsets, I have learned to stay away from them at all costs. Do you, by chance, have this chipset in your machine controlling your network interface or is it something else?
            This is the onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 Gbit LAN controller

Motherboard is an Asus K8V Deluxe.

EDIT: Wait a minute, it can't be my onboard network. When I do VPN tunneling into work, I use my work issued IBM T42 laptop. That is going through either the wireles or wired into the router where I experience the same problems. It has to be the router or some interaction between the router and modem. Modem direct is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
              This is the onboard LAN: 3COM 3C940 Gbit LAN controller

Motherboard is an Asus K8V Deluxe.

EDIT: Wait a minute, it can't be my onboard network. When I do VPN tunneling into work, I use my work issued IBM T42 laptop. That is going through either the wireles or wired into the router where I experience the same problems. It has to be the router or some interaction between the router and modem. Modem direct is no problem.
              Replace it with a Linksys. What model Netgear is it? I assume you've got the firmware all updated?

On another note, I have a T42p Laptop too.. Fun toys!

Comment

Replace it with a Linksys. What model Netgear is it? I assume you've got the firmware all updated?

On another note, I have a T42p Laptop too.. Fun toys!
                Something like WGR614 or something like that. I do know that it is running the latest firmware, it hasn't been updated in over a year. It's good for everything except what I want it for most: gaming.

Comment

Interesting, I have a WGR614 v4 and haven't had any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
                    Interesting, I have a WGR614 v4 and haven't had any problems.
                    I just looked, I have V3. I probably just got the short stick on this one. I can't remember how long it has been doing it, but it's been doing it for a while. Just gonna replace it.

Comment

I personally don't dig netgear. My roomate and I hooked our network up w/one a while ago and had major connection issues(ie. not being able to connect via my wireless computer, dropped connections, having to restart it everyday). We switched to a linksys (I've had better experience w/them before) and my connection's run fine for the most part. I still get dropped connections on my wireless, but I think it's more so because of the location of my rig. And I can call linksys anytime I want for free for the tech support. If I remember correctly, netgear wanted my Credit card no. and wanted to charge for support.
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...osing-one.html
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
                          I personally don't dig netgear. My roomate and I hooked our network up w/one a while ago and had major connection issues(ie. not being able to connect via my wireless computer, dropped connections, having to restart it everyday). We switched to a linksys (I've had better experience w/them before) and my connection's run fine for the most part. I still get dropped connections on my wireless, but I think it's more so because of the location of my rig. And I can call linksys anytime I want for free for the tech support. If I remember correctly, netgear wanted my Credit card no. and wanted to charge for support.
                          My only issue with Linksys is in the processing arena.

Take a 4 or 8 port broadband router/firewall. Plug 4 machines into it. Take the first two and start a continuous ping between them. Take the second two and begin transfer of a 4GB file. While leaving the ping running, try downloading a file off the net. Watch both your download speed and local network performance speed.

In my testing, Netgear has blown the doors of Linksys in this regard. It's why I have mostly bought Netgear equipment. ALL equipment is prone to failure though. It's hard to tell which manufacturer has better quality based on a single purchase. When you buy 1,000 of each and are able to compare failure rates, then you've got the right sort of data to make that decision.

My last Linksys router failed less than 6 hours after purchase. It would reboot every time you tried to run a traceroute through it.

My last Netgear router had very tempermental VPN support.

Throw it all away and get a Cisco PIX 501.

Comment

After reading Cing's link I'm going to hit some stores looking at serial numbers on Linksys routers. Thanks guys

Comment

Throw it all away and get a Cisco PIX 501.
                              Yea, but if he could afford it, he'd still be SOL configuring it. Well.... he could always just call Cisco.

I use a Linksys WRT54GS and haven't had an issue yet. Even though I really don't like Linksys as a whole (they are owned by Cisco after-all): I have been consistantly disappointed by Netgear and D-Link products. D-Links just have the worst configuration apps and I've had to call Netgear a few times about their products. And since their tech support is based out of India: I can't hear anything they are saying. That's not because of their accent (I've been calling tech support long enough to understand it), it's due to the background noise. Netgear sounds like there's a huge party going on 24/7.

I'm not impressed by any home networking companies besides 3Com (which still hasn't fully broken into it due to trying to compete with Cisco in the corporate level). But Linksys has the least amount of issues for me, so I use them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X