Apple's Bootcamp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's Bootcamp

Well, it looks like Apple is going to officially support booting windows from their intel Macs:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

This is pretty exciting... It makes me want a new Mac Book even more :)
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Apple's Bootcamp

Well thats kind of cool, lets see if windows returns the favor
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Haha, how could Windows return the favor? Apple locks its OSes down onto only its hardware, so you have to buy their computers. Microsoft doesn't have any say at all in whether you install OSX on your PC. That's between Apple and PC manufacturers.

Comment

^^^^Apple takes a jab at Windows for using BIOS.

I am not too excited about EFI. Mainly because I am worried about how AMD fits into it all. Will they be able to use EFI or will they stick with BIOS.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

gonna sound like a noob here, whats efi?
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
            Haha, how could Windows return the favor? Apple locks its OSes down onto only its hardware, so you have to buy their computers. Microsoft doesn't have any say at all in whether you install OSX on your PC. That's between Apple and PC manufacturers.
            I'm with Trooper on this one.
            Darwin is open source. I imagine it could be recompiled to run on a wide variety of hardware, regardless of Apple locking it down.

I'm sure these two huge software companies could find a way to 'return favors.'

Comment

The funny thing is that microsoft has been returning the "favors" for years, lets see there is Office that was stolen from apple, theres VB that was stolen from apple, i wanna say dos was taken from apple.

Yeah in this day and age anything is possible
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                gonna sound like a noob here, whats efi?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensi...ware_Interface

Basically its a new kind of BIOS. The reason Apple OS is currently locked down to Macs is because of this. There are very few if any boards that use EFI.

Microsoft has no plans to support this until Longhorn Server and to add insult to injury MS also isn't planning a 32bit EFI support. (All the current Intel macs are 32bit.)
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Not entirely true RGM_ ... The Gateway 610 Media center does use EFI, which may allow you to run Tiger OS on a dual boot. But that would be a headache, so for now, i'll just agree.

and if you look on the right side fo the Apple Boot Camp page, don't forget to read
                  Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means itíll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.
                  I love it when they throw in cheap shots like that :)
                  Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

EFI and BIOS
                    Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Here is another.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Actually Windows is doing the sane thing in regards to EFI. They will be supporting it on the 64bit OSes, which I suspect in another year the MacBooks will be running the 64 bit chips. As far as I know XP64/200364 support EFI, but the Macs use 32 bit chips.

That being said in a year when the next revision of the macbooks come out I will be in line.

Az
                      [age-c1][command]

Comment

^^^^^Its the Itanium verison of 2003 that supports EFI.

I heard Intel is working on an updated EFI so perhaps MS is waiitng for that.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Apple should dump the proprietary EFI and go with this BIOS instead:

http://www.linuxbios.org/index.php/Main_Page

:p

OTOH, I wonder why Apple didn't implement OpenFirmware on x86?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openboot
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Man, I bet BF2 would run greeeat on one of those new macbook pros w/ the 256 MB GPU.

Comment

^^^^Not really. I find anything other then an X18k and X19K series card is a sin. The X16k and X13k cards are god awful.

Don't get me wrong it will run but it might not run on the native res of these laptops.
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X