Building an up to date, budget PC..Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an up to date, budget PC..Part 1

When i say budget I am more or less talking around $500-$600. Because now a days you can really get a lot for that price and have a machine that runs amazingly. Lets set a scenario, you have a processor that ranges 1.8Ghz-2.8Ghz, an out dated graphic card that requires a prayer before running any new game just so it will run, 1 gig of ram or less. My next posts will hopefully help you make some good upgrading decisions, and not hurt your pocket book. Now after all my posts saying to wait until the Direct 10x cards are released, I am going to recant on those statements, I will tell you why in my next few paragraphs

GPU

PCI-e is the newest and greatest feature to come along to computer graphics since 3d graphic cards, believe me it is, i have a 2d card sitting right next to me. From what ive read PCI-e 16x is no faster then AGP8x, and like AGP has its own bus. But PCI-e has more potential for upgrade then AGP since most companies really aren't catering the the AGP market, and you can find a graphic card for PCI-e, the same one, cheaper then the AGP counter part. Also Nvidia created a type of card that is SLI enabled, which basically means you can link more then one card together to create a lesser load on the cards, which is really cool. Now prices today will not be the same one or two months from now, they are always falling, but if you spend between $150-$250 on a card you will be set.

Now since windows vista is being delayed, and from what I have been reading, at request from hardware manufacturers who aren't ready yet for its release, so that's a good thing. Windows Vista will be using the Direct 10x for its graphical needs, which means any Direct 9X wont run it optimally, but still run it.

Now for a few suggestions for cards, I am kind of partial to Nvidia just because of their technology and their drivers are better the ATi in my opinion, and i don't know anything about the ATi cards, so if you do post it. Some Nvidia cards manufactured by eVGA which i believe makes the best graphic cards.

Please feel free to fill in any holes or other suggestions that you may have when getting a new graphic card.

Part 2 will be about getting a processor and motherboard to fit your new card
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Building an up to date, budget PC..Part 1

How do you have a 2d card sitting next to you? They never made those :/

Comment

I actually emailed the company a few years ago about the card, they replyed saying it was a 2d card.
      Last edited by Trooper; 04-05-2006, 10:43 PM.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Did they leave you hanging like that?

Comment

They said a bunch of other things but thats all i remember about that card
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
            How do you have a 2d card sitting next to you? They never made those :/
            Like heck they didn't. I remember lots of 2D boards that were used to pump up desktop publishing and add fancy things like 24 bit graphics and 16M colours.
            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Yes, I believe Matrox was famous for the quality of their 2D accelerators for desktop publishing applications.

20 years from now when we're using Holographic Cards, someone will say "3D cards? They never made those!" and we can have this conversation all over again :)

I just built a system for my mom in the 500-600 range. Honestly it wasn't hard at all to do the PC for under $500 and not resort to using bottom of the barrel, no-name brands ( /me shudders at the thought). The one thing that really pushed the price up was the monitor. I found a 15" BenQ LCD on NewEgg for $178.99 (inc. shipping). Next to that, I think the most expensive part was the case/PSU at $99, an Antec Sonata II.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                Some Nvidia cards manufactured by eVGA which i believe makes the best graphic cards.
                Lies ;)

eVga does not make the best cards on the market. They do, however, make the best Bang for your Buck of anybody on the market. Great for budget builds.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Who makes the best cards on the market? I have evga in my rig, and I have never had any problems with them personally. Good warranty, and the step up program as well (If they're still doing that) and customer service (from what I hear).

My brother's got the 7800gtx from bfg, and if I remember correctly had had some installtion issues and got horrible customer support.

At any rate, I'm interested in seeing some recommendations for budget cards as well, as I'm currently looking for one too for a friend.
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Yeah i only mentiond eVGA because i know alot of players that have gotten those and had wonderful expreince with them. Plus they seem to always have a better selection when it comes to GPUs
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Hey all,

I agree 100%, EVGA are excellent cards. I have a 6800gs and I really like it. If you can't drop the coin for a 7900 or 7800 series card then the 6800gs is the card for you.

Looking forward to part deux...

Chappie

Comment

ATI now has cards better than the 7800. The X1900XT is actually faster, and the ATI Crossfire technology allows multiple GPU's that work together no matter what game or application you are using, unlike SLI that only works on certian games.

Comment

Thanks for that black, that fills in any of the questions i had about ati's stuff
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                            ATI now has cards better than the 7800. The X1900XT is actually faster, and the ATI Crossfire technology allows multiple GPU's that work together no matter what game or application you are using, unlike SLI that only works on certian games.

HEY! What happen to that budget!?
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, the budget kinda blows up when you get to the X1900XT and the 7800GT.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X